Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times

Advertisements

Democrat Joe Hogsett wins Indianapolis mayoral race - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I didn't follow the election closely (mostly on the nightly news reports + Abdul at large) but both of the candidates seemed reasonable and it was an unusually low key election.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
It was never in doubt that Hogsett was going to win. I don't really have a problem with him.

The bigger deal is that despite the gerrymandering of the city-council districts by republicans, the democrats still won control.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:59 AM

32 posts, read 34,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It was never in doubt that Hogsett was going to win. I don't really have a problem with him.

The bigger deal is that despite the gerrymandering of the city-council districts by republicans, the democrats still won control.
I will admit to cackling when those results were final because despite the effort by Republicans, Dems still squeezed it out. This also will either be good or bad for Hogsett as he cannot blame a Republican council if he doesn't see progress on his agenda, but he also inherits a somewhat divided Dem council in that they don't always side with the party. I'm still reeling from the loss of the at-large members due to the Big Brother state govt. but what can you do?

I will forever be shocked and dismayed at the low level of voter turnout. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that the closer to home an election ie local council, the more of a direct affect it has on one's life. It seems that this is the minority in Marion County at least.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCons View Post
I will admit to cackling when those results were final because despite the effort by Republicans, Dems still squeezed it out. This also will either be good or bad for Hogsett as he cannot blame a Republican council if he doesn't see progress on his agenda, but he also inherits a somewhat divided Dem council in that they don't always side with the party. I'm still reeling from the loss of the at-large members due to the Big Brother state govt. but what can you do?

I will forever be shocked and dismayed at the low level of voter turnout. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that the closer to home an election ie local council, the more of a direct affect it has on one's life. It seems that this is the minority in Marion County at least.
I completely agree with the last part. And it isn't just Marion County. It's the entire country. During the last couple presidential elections there were waits of 2-3 hours to vote. This year, nobody in line. For some reason this country obsesses over the presidential election (February 2017 we'll already be talking about 2020 election) but nobody shows up when it comes to state and city elections, which have a much more direct impact on everyone's lives.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:34 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Democrat Joe Hogsett wins Indianapolis mayoral race - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I didn't follow the election closely (mostly on the nightly news reports + Abdul at large) but both of the candidates seemed reasonable and it was an unusually low key election.

What do you think?

How many names to you post under?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:11 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
I'm surprised we don't have BRG on here denouncing this result like he would on the IndyStar's Facebook page.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:28 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Do you have a man crush with this BRG dude you keep talking about? Thats weird and even a little creepy.
Welcome back, Evan.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Not surprising at all. Didnt see any pundits or bloggers saying brewer would win.
Then again when you have 4X the money its easy to bet who wins.
Dude, the gig is up.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
He voted for hogsett. He on a competitor site that actually talks about Indy development.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:06 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyCons View Post
Why are you shocked and dismayed? The only things I really feel like I have a say in are those referendums that come up. Direct voting by the people on taxation matters. When this stuff is put into the hands of an elected few, the people lose a lot of control. It is almost as if fiscal science is looked upon as voodoo by many Republicans and Democrats. They don't care about the numbers so long as them and theirs is taken care of. They could careless about running up massive deficits and claim growth or tiny tax increases will make up for the out-of-control spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: