Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I have been to the 96th Street, Carmel, and downtown Scotty's locations. Personally, I never thought they were anything special, and that Three Wise Men was the best of the month, but it's cool to see a local restaurant get wider attention.

New York City finds one in five adults has mental health problems | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 04:06 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have been to the 96th Street, Carmel, and downtown Scotty's locations. Personally, I never thought they were anything special, and that Three Wise Men was the best of the month, but it's cool to see a local restaurant get wider attention.

New York City finds one in five adults has mental health problems | Reuters
I don't think that is the correct link.

We liked Scotty's downtown location as used to go there frequently before Pacers games.

We had two bad experiences in a row so we stopped going there. The last time we dined there the server actually lost my credit card in the kitchen. We were late to the Pacers game, waiting for the staff to find it. The manager finally told me I would have to return the next day to see if they found it after closing. When I returned the next day there was another customer there waiting to pick up his credit card that was lost the night before. Two lost credit cards in the same night?

We haven't been back.

Last edited by missik999; 11-13-2015 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 04:26 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Agree. I'd prefer Scott Wise concentrate on fortifying his existing empire.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I've also noticed a downward slide in the service at the downtown location. The last time we went to Scotty's downtown, it was only because we had a gift card from a previous bad experience. I am rooting for Scotty's, but I would hate to see a locally loved regional chain that really is not all that special anymore falter because they tried to get too big.........although I think that ship sailed years ago.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:39 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
I've only been to the 96th St location and I always liked it but haven't been in a long time. My wife hates their menu. She thinks it is way too big (she has the same problem with Cheesecake Factory). So we rarely ever go there.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've also noticed a downward slide in the service at the downtown location. The last time we went to Scotty's downtown, it was only because we had a gift card from a previous bad experience. I am rooting for Scotty's, but I would hate to see a locally loved regional chain that really is not all that special anymore falter because they tried to get too big.........although I think that ship sailed years ago.
Totally agreed. I've been to the downtown location a few times after Pacers games and once for work and the service was horrible. There are numerous better sports bar (Wolfie's, Ale Emporium are both better) and the food is no better than Applebee's.

Still, it's a regional icon, and I'm not sure why.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM

135 posts, read 181,192 times
Agreed. Not to pile on, as I generally like supporting local businesses, but i'm not sure what the appeal is. In terms of expanding nationally (or even further regionally), i'm having a hard time seeing anything that would separate Scotty's from the pack of other mediocre sports bar/grill type chains....other than sub-par service.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:40 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
We only went to Three Wise Men once and the service was so incredibly bad that we were actually laughing about it, along with the diners at several nearby tables who were also receiving ridiculously bad service.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:32 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
I don't see Scotty's as anything special and I don't know how they would fare nationwide. My first visit was to the one in Muncie, which I believe was the first restaurant, but I'm not sure. Food and service were fine from what I recall. I've been to the one downtown just a few times over the years. We've always had our food cooked to order. The service from our actual servers has been fine, but I do recall that sometimes there was confusion on where to sit us or who would actually be our server. I don't see this as necessarily bad, but it just seemed like there was too much confusion between the staff. One thing I remember is thinking that the employees almost seemed to want to socialize way more than they should, which could be a reason for the confusion. Last winter we went to Rock Bottom, as we have always like their food better. The wait was over an hour, place was packed. We didn't want to wait so we decided to walk to Scotty's and hope for the best. This wasn't a long walk at all, plenty of people who didn't want to wait at any downtown place could have easily waked to Scotty's. We got there and the place was dead. Our meal and service that last time were fine, but something must be off when other places are packed with hour long waits.

We also went to Three Wise Men not long after it opened. We sat at the bar and the service was fine. However, we didn't care for the style of pizza they served so we never went back.

Last edited by indy_317; 11-14-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 02:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Scotty's Brewhouse seems to me to be just a typical beer and burger joint. Three Wise Men is the better bet, if you ask me. Beer brewed on the premises and a decent menu of pizza, salads, and sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis