Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 6,634 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving there but I'm from a fairly liberal area where it was never a problem growing up as an atheist. I was never bullied, didn't feel left out because of religion, and never had anything remotely religious happening during school. If we did move, it would probably be to Carmel or Fishers but we would consider private schools as well. I don't want my son to be bullied, ostracized, or indoctrinated in school. One example that comes to mind is celebrating Christmas in school. I've heard of classrooms (not in Indy, just around the country) where students right letters to Santa or have a secret Santa. While I'm atheist, my family is Buddhist, and Santa is not coming to our house. I am also not putting on Christmas just so my kid feels like he belongs. I'm perfectly aware that he will be exposed to religion through classmates, media, and just life experience in general but I think its different when its coming from the school and teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 05:24 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,365,693 times
You should be fine as long as you avoid the outlying areas, which tend to be a bit more conservative.

I don't think anyone is "righting" letters to Santa in elementary school these days. There has been a lot of effort to avoid promoting or favoring any particular religion or following from what I've seen. That being said, you're not going to avoid it 100%, especially around Indy, as the demographics are pretty much Christian.

RM

Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,112 times
Carmel and fishers have a lot of foreigners. Mainly Indian or Asian due to tech jobs and doctors with so many hospitals in the area. Your concerns for those reasons shouldn't be a issue.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Carmel and Fishers are not areas where people generally make religion, or non-religion, a topic of conversation. As long as one doesn't politicize one's beliefs it should be a non-issue.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I moved here two years ago and have never been proselytized here in Carmel. There are churches, many churches, but it's not like the South where religion is front and center of a lot of conversations. Outlying areas are much more openly religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis