Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 11:56 AM

53 posts, read 156,671 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What do you think of the two shaded neighborhoods for a young couple with kids? ( See attached map )
Attached Thumbnails
Chatham Arch & Lockerbie Square-screen-shot-2016-05-24-1.43.49  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
How familiar with Indianapolis are you? Why the comparison between Haughville and Lockerbie?

Old 05-24-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
How familiar with Indianapolis are you? Why the comparison between Haughville and Lockerbie?
I've never been to Indy, relocating in August. I googled the safest places close to downtown ( Where my school is ) and had those two neighborhoods.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:47 PM

Lockerbie and Chatham are nice areas. I am a parent with young kids, so I do notice other kids around when I am in and around Lockerbie/Chatham. I don't really know who lives there and who passes through. As a parent, I can confirm, yes there are people with kids in and near downtown. I wouldn't call Lockerbie or Chatham the most kid friendly parts of urban Indianapolis, but they are fine.

You highlighted Haughville on your map, judging by your commentary I have to assume that was a mistake. Nothing against Haughville, but if you are not familiar with Indianapolis, it is probably not an area you are ready for.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:53 PM

135 posts, read 180,996 times
Hello Abualjood! Interesting that these neighborhoods popped up as safest. One makes sense, and one doesn't, which is what I think TT was getting at. The area shaded immediately west of the river (Haughville) would not be a place I would recommend at this time for a young couple with kids. Maybe one day, but probably not right now. The shaded area to the east of downtown (Lockerbie) is incredibly charming and safe, but it comes with a price tag. However, I wouldn't automatically write off other downtown-adjacent neighborhoods just because they didn't pop up in your search engine as safe. In fact, I'd say that all the downtown-adjacent neighborhoods are relatively safe (with the exception being the area west of the river). Holy Cross, Chatham Arch, Cottage Home, Fletcher Place, Fountain Square, Bates Hendricks, Old Northside, Herron/Morton, etc basically all touch the north, south, or east sides of downtown and are all probably safer than Haughville.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:08 PM

I'll add this also, as someone who has kids in urban Indianapolis. Most of the urban families are not downtown. There are kids downtown, but most of them live in the neighborhoods around downtown. Fall Creek Place. Herron Morton. A lot of the near eastside and Irvington. Further north up to Broad Ripple. Probably Fountain Square too, but that wasn't the case when I lived there.

I only mention that because there seems to be this perception that you can't raise a family in the city. Bullocks. I am doing so now. So are a lot of other people I know. It may not be for everyone, but it can be done, and lots of us are.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:52 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
I would definitely choose Lockerbie or Chatham Arch over Haughville. Not sure how easy it is to find a home there. And not sure there are many people with kids in those first two neighborhoods, but of what you asked, that area is definitely better.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Thank you Toxic Toast, Jarcolem and Ischyros.

Would you please check this map. Are the red/ blue shaded areas parts of Haughville? And what do you think of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Chatham Arch & Lockerbie Square-screen-shot-2016-05-24-5.59.41  

Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abualjood View Post
Thank you Toxic Toast, Jarcolem and Ischyros.

Would you please check this map. Are the red/ blue shaded areas parts of Haughville? And what do you think of them?
What is your budget? You are comparing entirely different neighborhoods that don't really compare to one another. All of the gray areas you shaded on the Northeast side of Downtown are what the vast majority of people would describe as safe. The red and blue areas aren't part of Haughville, but most people (especially suburban people) would describe them as unsafe. You must be noticing price differences between these various neighborhoods, although you can still get a relatively good deal on the near east side of Downtown. That's where I would personally focus because the area is changing rapidly, and I'd already describe it as safe for a family. It should also give you the most bang for your buck.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM

The blue area is a combination of Flackville, Eagledale, and Cold Spring. There are a couple of nice pockets right by Marian U, but that is about it. Flackville and Eagledale have seen better days. There are some excellent restaurants on West 38th Street through there. The red area looks to be Riverside. Riverside has a nice park, I've stopped there on bike rides to let the kids play. It is an historically black area. Nice enough area, though I am not familiar with the crime rates. I will leave the wild internet speculation to someone else.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 05-24-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis