Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:55 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,122,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoni View Post
My experience families can't even afford $20 extra for class of 55 mts.A $60 summer class for 4 hers got cancelled due to lack of students(which is very reasonable rate). In "sur la table"atclay terrace mall ,kids cooking class only 4 kids during spring break.Only at Carmel dads club I saw some enrollment for basketball, but so many days cancellation that my child hardly learnt anything.Half the classes at Monon center gets cancelled due to lack of students.Only class which runs most of the time is swimming.
Not getting any sympathy here. Just admit you are wrong and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,867,528 times
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a native English speaker.

The big building is probably the worst place you could be with small kids. There is virtually no outdoor green space, certainly no playgrounds or anything like that. They're good sized apartments, but they are probably geared toward retirees and DINKS who want an "urban monied lifestyle."

Carmel isn't a place for renters really, at all. I rent in Carmel and the rentals are very transient - many foreign (especially Indian) families in my complex, probably for the schools. People move in for a bit, get established, then buy something. It's a place for single family detached homes with yards for the kids to play in, with a smattering of townhomes and condos for the relatively well-to-do who don't want the hassles of yard work.

I don't have any kids but I can't imagine anyone thinking Carmel is bad for kids if they're living a lifestyle that is line with their situation and the community.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,227,417 times
This is all weird considering a large majority of Carmel is middle class families. But yeah, City Center isn't designed for families.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
In 2014 Carmel was rated #3 on the list for Best Places to Live for Families in the entire country so either things have changed dramatically in two years or you didn't make much of an effort.
And just this week, Carmel and Fishers were ranked #1 and #2 on Safewise's 30 Safest Cities to Raise kids in the US. The 30 Safest Cities to Raise a Child - 2016 - SafeWise

Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 PM

810 posts, read 844,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a native English speaker.

The big building is probably the worst place you could be with small kids. There is virtually no outdoor green space, certainly no playgrounds or anything like that. They're good sized apartments, but they are probably geared toward retirees and DINKS who want an "urban monied lifestyle."

Carmel isn't a place for renters really, at all. I rent in Carmel and the rentals are very transient - many foreign (especially Indian) families in my complex, probably for the schools. People move in for a bit, get established, then buy something. It's a place for single family detached homes with yards for the kids to play in, with a smattering of town homes and condos for the relatively well-to-do who don't want the hassles of yard work.

I don't have any kids but I can't imagine anyone thinking Carmel is bad for kids if they're living a lifestyle that is line with their situation and the community.
I am thinking of moving in laws lived in Carmel years ago they loved it I am sure much has changed but it seems like a nice community. As far as renting goes are there houses and or town houses for rent? The last thing i want is to live in an apartment once I move

Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM

810 posts, read 844,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
And just this week, Carmel and Fishers were ranked #1 and #2 on Safewise's 30 Safest Cities to Raise kids in the US. The 30 Safest Cities to Raise a Child - 2016 - SafeWise
Seriously New Jersey?? You could not pay me enough to live in New Jersey. All those new England town too are so small no wonder they are safe. What was the criteria?

I have my doubts. I live in a very safe city and it didn't make the list but at least 10 from New jersey?

Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 PM

158 posts, read 173,798 times
Posts like this just leave me shaking my head. I just moved into Carmel City Center and it's an awesome place to live. But as others have said, it's not a place for young kids. But, all you have to do is drive around the neighborhoods of Carmel and you will see young kids everywhere.

Is the Indy forum the leader in these kinds of posts? Sure seems like it to me.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 PM

34,812 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
I am thinking of moving in laws lived in Carmel years ago they loved it I am sure much has changed but it seems like a nice community. As far as renting goes are there houses and or town houses for rent? The last thing i want is to live in an apartment once I move
There are true town homes around downtown, the CPA, and other parts within the Carmel city limits. Most of these start at least $250k to purchase. Expect severe increases for rentals.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Seriously New Jersey?? You could not pay me enough to live in New Jersey. All those new England town too are so small no wonder they are safe. What was the criteria?

I have my doubts. I live in a very safe city and it didn't make the list but at least 10 from New jersey?
The article says what their criteria was. The used FBI violent crime statistics, sex offender population, graduation rates, and school rankings among some other things. They also eliminated any town smaller than 10,000 people.

Also, there are some very nice parts of New Jersey. And as it says, New Jersey has the second best schools in the country and is 5th in high school graduation rates. Indiana is 8th in comparison.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:32 PM

39 posts, read 57,297 times
I think west Carmel is good for families, but only thing lib,monon Rec center, majority of classes are in east Carmel & winter might be problem driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis