U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2016, 03:58 PM

26 posts, read 26,807 times

Advertisements

I've been on this site before. I finally made it to Lebanon to look and feel what it might be like to buy a house. I can't wait to get out of California. Born in Indiana, raised since 3 years old in Ca and now want to get out. Just turned 70 and saw Ca going down the tubes. Came out for a family reunion in June (2016) in North Indiana and took a trip to look at real estate in Lebanon as I saw it online. Now I finally went in person to Lebanon and saw the building going on near Trullium, Detford and Westmoor streets. I personally didn't see anything that put me off there. Those streets looked like just what I'm looking for. I just want to be a good member of the community, don't do anything stupid and live out my final years in peace. I've spent time in places with snow and I'm not scared of it at all. Just looking for info about taxes, water, sewage, electric, local government and quality of life. Am I right about the feeling that Lebanon is building itself up? Any replies would greatly be appreciated.

Desert Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 04:44 PM

28 posts, read 11,791 times
I'm not sure if Lebanon is building its self up, but it's a serviceable town by all means and will have everything that you would need. Witham is an underrated hospital, and it's great for health services. The town though has a lot of poverty. At least more than you would think. For you though that doesn't mean anything it sounds like. The city has a really young mayor, at 28 years old. Which I think is cool. Everything will be affordable compared to California with taxes and utilities.

There's nothing really about Lebanon that sticks out, there aren't that many unique features. I work three jobs currently, 2 in Lebanon and one in Downtown Indianapolis. So I know the city pretty well. If you're all about the small town life, and affordable living, it's your kind of place. There are plenty of ways to be apart of the community.

Lebanon and Boone County is extremely conservative, like much of rural Indiana. If Lebanon doesn't have what you want to do one day, then you can get on 65 and be in Indianapolis within 20 minutes and it'll have what you want.

I'm moving soon because I want to experience my adult life elsewhere, but I'm at a completely different part of life than you are. I'm 24. So maybe somebody else that actually lives in Lebanon or is closer to your age could say more. But from my point of view, I don't see anything wrong with moving to Lebanon, and it sounds like it would have everything that you're looking for.

If you want other small towns near Indianapolis to choose from, or near northern Indiana, these might be worth looking into;

Crawfordsville
Greencastle
Monticello
Logansport
Peru
Tipton

Or if you want something larger you could always try Kokomo or Lafayette.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:17 AM

26 posts, read 26,807 times
As I was looking at homes for sale in Lebanon, I saw the tract homes being built on Trillium and Detford. Was wondering, are there no basements because the water table is high? A basement isn't important to me as I'm getting on in years and probably don't want to climb stairs from a basement or to a second story. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Desert Dave

Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 AM

4,123 posts, read 5,308,822 times
Probably no basements because they cost more to build than building on a slab foundation. I don't think the water table is particularly high in that area.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,206,667 times
I agree the no basement thing is most likely to keep costs cheap.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:15 AM

5,082 posts, read 6,435,390 times
Lebanon is featured in Indianapolis Monthly's most livable small towns series, just saw it today. They refer to it as the north side's north side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis