Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,018,825 times

Advertisements

There are hole-in-the-wall dives on E. Washington St. from Holy Cross all the way to Irvington. Zonies is probably the first, they have drag shows on Thursday nights and they do not disappoint, very talented performers. Then you have the Catalina the Golden Ace (this bar is pretty rough around the edges) on to the Butler Inn where they still in 2016 do not accept plastic,, but it's fun on football Sundays when they have a pitch-in. I showed up one Sunday (my first Sun.) and din't bring anything, they were very gracious and treated me like family. When you get to Irvington proper the atmosphere changes from "divey" to trendy.

Those are the bars that I've been to and they are actual dives, not just some wannabe hipster bar that loves the word "dive".

Don't get me wrong, Dorman St. Saloon and the Mel are still fun spots, but it (Dorman) was much better back in '05 when it was a gritty neighborhood bar and not a dive destination. The floors were so bad that the billiard balls would gravitate to one side of the table untouched because of the slant in the floor.

There are plenty of dives on all sides of Indy. I wouldn't call a large majority of them cool or hip, but gritty dives that hipsters would love to gentrify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 03:14 PM

4,504 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't think it was meant as a slight on Indy; the person you quoted seems to think Muncie is a hot little town on par with Bloomington.
That's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis