Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times

Advertisements

Pretty typical for 2mm metro area.

No real need to go taller than Chase tower unless some big local company seeks landmark building.

With no major financial companies headquartered in Indy I do not see this changing anytime soon.

Water tower place in Chicago is comparable to Monument Circle in Indy, few people outside of the area know what it is but may recognize it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
No real need to go taller than Chase tower unless some big local company seeks landmark building.
............and the only company that expressed interest in building some kind of tower downtown is taking over the soon to be SalesForce Tower.

Our skyline may not be as big as other places, but who cares. I like it for what it is. No need to build for the hell of it. Indy is plugging along fine with the infill of low to mid rise buildings.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:20 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Nobody said the DC landmarks aren't Important. Lets just quit acting like Indy doesn't have landmarks.
Monument circle is over twice as old as the St Louis Arch

St. Louis Arch is much more recognizable than Monument Circle.

If you showed people from outside of Indy a picture of Monument Circle few would recognize it. Some Indy residents wouldn't be able to identify it.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Indy has famous Landmarks as well.
Monument Circle. The Indiana statehouse. The War Memorial Plaza. The murat theater etc etc.

These are nice but definitely not famous. You are really stretching the landmark definition.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:02 AM

638 posts, read 978,219 times
Quote:
Absolutely comical.
San Antonio
Phoenix
Memphis
St Louis
Jacksonville
Richmond Virginia
Washington D.C (Has no skyline)
Knoxville Tennessee
Oklahoma City
Omaha Nebraska
Sacramento
Austin Texas
Birmingham Alabama
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Detroit Michigan

Just some of the cities with worse skylines off the top of my head.
Care to retract your silly statement?

2nd skylines don't make cities great. otherwise everyone would be living in New York.

Did you really just name Detroit Michigan?

Old 10-27-2016, 11:05 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
The only place I would call a true nationally know landmark in the metro area isn't even in Indy, it is in Speedway. When I travel and speak with others, they usually will bring up three things. In the 90s it was the 500 and/or Bobby Knight. In recent years given how popular the NFL and Manning were, that might be brought up. The places in downtown Indy aren't nationally known.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:28 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
When Indianapolis landed as a space on Monopoly's Here & Now edition, the iconic item associated with Indianapolis wasn't the statehouse or Monument Circle........it was an IndyCar.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
The only place I would call a true nationally know landmark in the metro area isn't even in Indy, it is in Speedway. When I travel and speak with others, they usually will bring up three things. In the 90s it was the 500 and/or Bobby Knight. In recent years given how popular the NFL and Manning were, that might be brought up. The places in downtown Indy aren't nationally known.

I just returned from a couple weeks in Europe. Everywhere I went when I told people I was from Indiana they asked me about the Cubs. I would point out that Cubs were from Chicago, and people would say, "But that is close to Indianapolis?" or "People in Indianapolis are Cubs fans, right?"

Last year when I was in Europe people mostly brought up the Colts and asked about Peyton Manning even though they knew he was no longer our quarterback.

It used to be that traveling abroad meant everyone asked about the Indy 500 but that isn't really the case any longer. In two weeks not one person mentioned it.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Absolutely comical.
San Antonio
Phoenix
Memphis
St Louis
Jacksonville
Richmond Virginia
Washington D.C (Has no skyline)
Knoxville Tennessee
Oklahoma City
Omaha Nebraska
Sacramento
Austin Texas
Birmingham Alabama
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Detroit Michigan

Just some of the cities with worse skylines off the top of my head.
Care to retract your silly statement?

2nd skylines don't make cities great. otherwise everyone would be living in New York.
You're mistaken about Austin's skyline. Austin has had several new high rise buildings go up in the past 10 years that has made a big difference in the skyline. Lots of big sparkling modern futuristic looking buildings. A new condo tower is going up downtown that will be the tallest condo tower west of the Mississippi River .

I found a link to different views of Austin skyline.

http://robgreebon.photoshelter.com/g...00K9ZSenqaYQQ/

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-27-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 03:38 PM

69 posts, read 52,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I just returned from a couple weeks in Europe. Everywhere I went when I told people I was from Indiana they asked me about the Cubs. I would point out that Cubs were from Chicago, and people would say, "But that is close to Indianapolis?" or "People in Indianapolis are Cubs fans, right?"

Last year when I was in Europe people mostly brought up the Colts and asked about Peyton Manning even though they knew he was no longer our quarterback.

It used to be that traveling abroad meant everyone asked about the Indy 500 but that isn't really the case any longer. In two weeks not one person mentioned it.
9 out of ten people here told me about the car races in Indy. Sports teams never came up in the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis