U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM

42 posts, read 124,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbama73 View Post
If you want decent schools, you do not want ANYTHING in Indianapolis! Your only hope is a surrounding county, and that's still a crapshoot.

That is so not true. I am a teacher and I can tell you for a fact that there are many good schools in Indianapolis. Don't let test scores be your only guide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:44 AM

33 posts, read 75,400 times
There are still some good teachers in the public schools in Indianapolis. In fact, the greatest teacher I ever encountered still teaches at Perry Meridian H.S.

But there's no public school in Marion County I'd ever dream of letting my daughter go to. I'll keep making the sacrifices to send her to private school.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 AM

2,710 posts, read 5,559,923 times
I will tell you a little story about Indy Public Schools and a township school right across the dividing line. A very good friend had two sons in IPS for their entire life on the far east side. She believed in living where she grew up. When a neighbor child was knifed in the courtyard, she decided to move a little ways out to Warren Township and buy a little house.

Her sons had a very difficult time adjusting to the educational demands of the township school. She thinks they were one year behind or more and had to catch up. The expectations were much higher in their new school The discipline was greater and there was a lot of homework.

They were successful and one of her sons is now a family man and in the military and the other one is at Purdue. He was in fact a starting quarterback at his high school. She is sure this would not have been the result at IPS.

Yes, some kids can get an education at IPS but if you do not know the schools, there are some serious issues.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:23 PM

42 posts, read 124,702 times
Most of my experience has been with the Township schools such as Lawrence, Franklin, Wayne and Warren. I work in one of the above and am building a house in another. I have 3 kids and have no problem sending them to township schools. I am not saying all township schools are good...because their not. However, there are MANY very good township schools in Marion County that strive to make sure the needs of all their students are met and do a very good job of it. I can think of several township schools who don't have cutting edge test scores but offer a great education.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

6,725 posts, read 7,502,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbama73 View Post
But there's no public school in Marion County I'd ever dream of letting my daughter go to. I'll keep making the sacrifices to send her to private school.
If you do not mind me asking; why? I know there are many private schools in Indy that are probably better than public schools, and that is not related to the questions I have. I am the product of a township school, as are many of my friends. I even have a couple of friends from IPS. Anyway, what is it about the township schools that you do not like?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM

18 posts, read 82,386 times
The Good Township schools:

Washington
Lawrence
Warren
Franklin
Perry- Pushing it.
Wayne

Just Stay out of Pike and Decatur.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM

18 posts, read 82,386 times
Also, if you are looking outside the county, I recommend Zionsville or Hamilton Southeastern/Fishers schools.

Keep away from Carmel.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:50 AM

130 posts, read 184,314 times
Seems to me that you need to find a good comporomising area between the family life and a place that is still active. Im sorry but Indianapolis is not the best place for this, but it does have alot to offer. see below:
I am looking for a place to live that is not too ghetto, but not so uptight the neighbors are looking out their window every time they hear a mouse fart.
tough one, hamilton county (fishers, carmel, noblesville) is filled with housing associations and uptight neighbors. Though good friendly people, they are young professionals who are all about the family: not much night life in that area. A good mix can be found in the broad ripple/rocky ripple area though it gets more pricey than the suburbs.
I have two kids and would like a decent school district. I would like to be close to shopping or the freeway, so I can get to the shopping.
NE side, i.e. hamilton county and on west through carmel and zionsville have excellent rated schools but a post by a previous teacher is correct some i repeat some IPS schools can be exceptional. Castleton are has some good ones (NE side) and so does broad ripple. Schools downtown are much like any urban school, your children can do exceptional things, but there is not the communal support that there is in some of the other areas.
Iíve been checking out First Fridays, but wanted to know where else is there to go out (26 grown and sexy)? Not a real club hopper, but when I kick itÖ I kicks it! I like reggae, rap, and R&B.
You have two basic options for the night life: broad ripple which has a few clubs a few bars with dancing and a lot of bars that are strictly for drinking and socializing, infact some great bars for social interaction and good music. Downtown, alot of sports bars by conseco field house but some good clubs. That may be the area you seek. I grew up in LA and so was a bit confused as to how the social scene works in Indy. There are alot of house parties usually small and depending on the crowd may end anywhere from 10pm to 3am. Bars/clubs dont usually start till 11pm or so, it is by no means an all night affair that begins at 8pm and alot of people start early at small house parties.
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis