Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When a leftist blames racism on the "right," I know the leftist is very biased. There are MANY who are uneducated and have limited abilities to think critically who are racists due to countless other things than being influenced by Rush Limbaugh. Imo, leftists are sucked into believing whatever their leaders tell them.
Read my post completely. I would add that I did not present my personal views, so I would appreciate your not categorizing me with any particular group or following.

I presented this as an opinion, and nothing more. The experiences I had with people I have direct contact with in the area were all very right wing and intolerant. They regularly listened to and quoted such sources, including the very biased Fox News. I will grant that it was a fairly small sample.

I have not met or experienced any left wing folks in the same area who espouse the thinking of left wing radio or TV personalities. Maybe I'm living in the wrong place? I'm sure they're out there - I have no doubt. I just haven't experienced them or their followers.

I'm not blaming racism on anyone, just relating my experiences with it to the people that promoted it. I'm sure it's just as prevalent with those of opposing views.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I'm not going to disclose personal details, suffice to say I lived in Florida for over ten years and returned to Indianapolis roughly six years ago. The more recent experience is what I am basing my comments on, not 20 or 30 year old experiences. They would not be relevant today.

And I am definitively not "up there in years", either. Still a ways away from retirement, unfortunately.

RM
You saw a cross burning in the last 6 years?

Quote:
As for my age, suffice to say that I was living in Indianapolis at a time when I saw a number of cross burnings and KKK gatherings. I grew up and lived on a side of town where the KKK had a presence, and some of its leadership lived.

I think that establishes my bona fides.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You saw a cross burning in the last 6 years?
No. You took my comment out of context. Read the trailing sentence that refers to my growing up there.

That's when I saw cross burnings. Several of them.

RM

Old 07-05-2014, 06:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
No. You took my comment out of context. Read the trailing sentence that refers to my growing up there.

That's when I saw cross burnings. Several of them.

RM
Decades ago. Pretty dated reference, is it not?

Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Decades ago. Pretty dated reference, is it not?
Yes it is, and I didn't imply that it wasn't. It was in context with the whole comment.

RM

Old 07-06-2014, 10:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I wouldn't say "racism" is out of control, but that people are having to ask and debate sometimes uncomfortable questions about race within and among themselves.

I've lived in a VERY white area in Iowa, a mostly white area in TN, and a more diverse area of SC. Out of all the places I've lived, I've never felt more aware of racial divisions, what groups commit the majority of the crime, and just general sense of race than I have here. Even though SC had fewer whites than even the city of Indy, everyone seemed to get along better and there wasn't such a clear division of black and white. People were generally of the same culture, less likely to shoot, and friendlier overall.

If nothing else, I've found that race is a day to day concern here, and it just wasn't anywhere else, even compared to the South.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM

50 posts, read 53,101 times
Definitely Trolling here but....Where Can I find these cross burnings?

Old 07-07-2014, 04:31 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrankMartian View Post
Definitely Trolling here but....Where Can I find these cross burnings?
I can't help but think that those who report seeing cross burnings are hanging out with the wrong people.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 AM

50 posts, read 53,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I can't help but think that those who report seeing cross burnings are hanging out with the wrong people.
Oh, really? and what, pray tell, was your boring ass saturday night like?
That's what I thought.

(I really am bored at work today, sorry)

Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM

This is getting a bit tiring, but...

I grew up on the Southside of Indianapolis in the 1960s and 1970s. As a child and a teenager I saw, on more than on occasion, KKK meetings and the requisite cross burnings. One in particular I remember well, as we were driving down Meridian St. just south of Banta Road, where on the west side of Meridian was a nursery (like trees and plants nursery.) There was a large crowd of people gathered there and the cross was quite prominent, and definitely in flames.

I remember asking my parents what was going on, and they explained what the KKK was and how they had meetings that would often culminate in cross burnings or something of that sort.

I remember another one as a teenager when I was in high school. We heard rumors about it and went to investigate. It took place at an old Moose lodge that was on Wicker Road, west of SR 37. We went and parked on the road and walked up close enough so that we could see what was taking place.

I never said nor implied that cross burnings were taking place in the present. My point was only that there was some serious racism going on at the time, and living in the area recently exposed me to plenty of it, if not as overt, that's all.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis