U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Ranking of Indianapolis's satellite cities
Terre Haute 8 24.24%
Lafayette 20 60.61%
Kokomo 5 15.15%
Marion 0 0%
Muncie 6 18.18%
Anderson 1 3.03%
Richmond 2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2017, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Central Indiana/Indy metro area
1,620 posts, read 2,575,744 times
Reputation: 1641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
There are a decent number of Ball State professors and admin who live in the Indy metro and commute to Muncie. Conversely, I've also met a handful of people commuting from Muncie to Indy (i did this for a summer in college).

Additionally, Indianapolis is the primary shopping and entertainment destination for Muncie. During my orientation at Ball State, the orientation leaders made it point to continually remind people and preface their responses with "Indy is less than an hour away" whenever anyone asked anything about entertainment or shopping options in Muncie.
It appears that Hamilton Town Center is only about 40 mins. away from Muncie. That definitely changes things for people who might want to work at Ball State. If Ball State was able to grow and become larger and larger, that could really help out Muncie and Anderson. One could live in the Anderson area and have a short drive to work, but plenty of shopping options not only in Anderson but also Fishers and Noblesville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
That's the story I heard ten years ago, when traffic was backed up from Fishers to I-465. The State map of coal sites doesn't show anything near Indianapolis, or North and East of it, so maybe it's not true.
Maybe the person was wrong on there being a coal mine. IMI has active gravel (or whatever) pits south and east of Geist. When I was researching land up in this area, I found one website that allowed me to use various maps from various decades. One layer showed an "X" made up of a pick and shovel (or maybe two picks). It had these icons all over and the legend said it indicated a gravel pit, but possibly a gravel mine. I know there is another large operation south/SW (possibly in the limits of) Anderson as well. So what you say actually makes sense to me because the larger operation in/near Anderson is basically just south of the interstate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 AM
 
1,153 posts, read 775,889 times
Reputation: 4302
Interestingly enough, all of these (Bloomington and Columbus included) are located between 45 and 65 miles from Indianapolis. They are also roughly ½ of the way between Indy and the next major commercial hub (whether it be Chicago via Lafayette, or Marion en route toward Fort Wayne, etc.).

Indiana is a good model for how towns develop into cities, where they do so, and why. How far are people willing to travel to a market for certain goods and services given the available transport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann...C3.BCnen_rings

Granted we've developed far beyond farming economies and the theory is somewhat obsolete because of that, but in basic principle it has some weight, even if it is not perfect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 04:01 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,023 posts, read 22,480,788 times
Reputation: 10911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You're right, I should have included Columbus. I didn't include Columbus because I had it on my mind that Columbus was still a small town, not all that much bigger than New Castle, Connersville, Frankfort, Lebanon, and Logansport, and I was more interested in the larger satellite cities. I didnt realize until today that Columbus is bigger than Richmond and Marion. If Columbus keeps growing like it has been, it won,'t be too much longer until it passes up Terre Haute, Anderson and Muncie. Anderson and Muncie have basiclly the same population today that they in had in the 1960's and 70's. Virtually no growth. Today, Delaware County is quite a bit smaller than it was in 1960. Apparently they know how to do things right in Columbus.

You don't see much of Columbus from I-65 but get off the interstate and it's impressive. I was very surprised the first time I drove around it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:22 PM
 
2,714 posts, read 5,340,988 times
Reputation: 2441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Not necessarily because Purdue is not in Lafayette. Purdue is in West Lafayette. They are two separate cities. So you can't give Lafayette credit for things that are due to Purdue. Things like diversity and sports because West Lafayette has the real diversity and the best sports, both due to Purdue. Lafayette is not very diverse and its not too well known for being a powerhouse in basketball and football.
I disagree. Many staff and faculty of Purdue live in Lafayette. Both cities are diverse due to the university. The cities are separated by the Wabash River. Recently I looked at statistics for the county (Tippecanoe). Included among the information was: 13,000 people from Asia live in the county. I was born and raised in Lafayette, attended Purdue and have moved back to Lafayette since I retired.Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 08-19-2020 at 02:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2017, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Central Indiana/Indy metro area
1,620 posts, read 2,575,744 times
Reputation: 1641
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You don't see much of Columbus from I-65 but get off the interstate and it's impressive. I was very surprised the first time I drove around it.
I agree that Columbus has more to offer than what is seen from the interstate. At the same time, as I've been working there a handful of days out of the year, and did some views from Google, when it comes down to it, Columbus really is like any other city. I'd say because it has more upper and/or reliable income it has always had an upward trajectory and has always been able to provide a higher level of living than similar sized cities.

I've actually liked the area just SW of the main Columbus exit. Tipton Lakes appears fairly nice for those looking for water front living. Looks like a mix of houses of various ages and condos or doubles as well. The downtown strip area is nice, but outside that, in some areas it just starts to feel like any other smaller city in Indiana with good employment figures.

Still, Columbus is a great city and if one is looking to raise a family or retire in smaller community. There is an added benefit that the city comes with great access to various outdoor recreation. Being a reasonable drive to the Indy metro area is a huge benefit as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
29,360 posts, read 22,196,390 times
Reputation: 36380
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
It appears that Hamilton Town Center is only about 40 mins. away from Muncie. That definitely changes things for people who might want to work at Ball State. If Ball State was able to grow and become larger and larger, that could really help out Muncie and Anderson. One could live in the Anderson area and have a short drive to work, but plenty of shopping options not only in Anderson but also Fishers and Noblesville.
One thing I've always wondered about is why places like Anderson, and even Muncie and Kokomo to an extent, aren't growing as affordable options to the employment growth on the I-69 corridor, other parts of Noblesville, Fishers, maybe even Carmel and the far north side. Maybe there just hasn't been enough growth pushing out that way yet or the housing prices in nice areas aren't high enough to push people out.

My girlfriend lived in Anderson and I stayed there probably half the time in 2015. I worked at 96th/College and Keystone at the Crossing. I could almost always be to and from Anderson in 45 minutes from these locations. Muncie would probably add another 15-20 minutes.

I wouldn't want to commute from Anderson to downtown, but it would be doable. If you didn't have to get on 465 and worked somewhere close to the interstate, it wouldn't be bad at all.

I wouldn't want to send kids to Anderson's school system, but if you were a couple or even single person with no kids and wanted affordable space, Anderson could easily be a viable option. There are a lot of homes in Anderson that have great bones and character, but could use some TLC and can be had for a song. The downtown has great bones and could be redeveloped in a very hip fashion. The thing about Anderson, Muncie, Kokomo, and even some of the others, is that they are cheap, still have some small town charm, and are commutable to a major metro. Many small towns, especially here in Tennessee, aren't blessed with being close to a major metro.

I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on Anderson becoming a desirable, niche option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't clean up a good bit either.

Most of the other Rust Belt cities are just too far from the Indy metro to get any kind of spillover benefit at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,582 posts, read 5,211,185 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing I've always wondered about is why places like Anderson, and even Muncie and Kokomo to an extent, aren't growing as affordable options to the employment growth on the I-69 corridor, other parts of Noblesville, Fishers, maybe even Carmel and the far north side. Maybe there just hasn't been enough growth pushing out that way yet or the housing prices in nice areas aren't high enough to push people out.

My girlfriend lived in Anderson and I stayed there probably half the time in 2015. I worked at 96th/College and Keystone at the Crossing. I could almost always be to and from Anderson in 45 minutes from these locations. Muncie would probably add another 15-20 minutes.

I wouldn't want to commute from Anderson to downtown, but it would be doable. If you didn't have to get on 465 and worked somewhere close to the interstate, it wouldn't be bad at all.

I wouldn't want to send kids to Anderson's school system, but if you were a couple or even single person with no kids and wanted affordable space, Anderson could easily be a viable option. There are a lot of homes in Anderson that have great bones and character, but could use some TLC and can be had for a song. The downtown has great bones and could be redeveloped in a very hip fashion. The thing about Anderson, Muncie, Kokomo, and even some of the others, is that they are cheap, still have some small town charm, and are commutable to a major metro. Many small towns, especially here in Tennessee, aren't blessed with being close to a major metro.

I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on Anderson becoming a desirable, niche option, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't clean up a good bit either.

Most of the other Rust Belt cities are just too far from the Indy metro to get any kind of spillover benefit at all.
I would say schools. I honestly don't know how the schools are in the cities you mentioned but if you look at the demographics for Fishers and Noblesville, they are very much family cities. According to the data here on CD, Fishers is 68% now married, Noblesville is 58% now married, while Anderson is just 38%. Never married and divorced in Anderson is about 3 times as high as that in Fishers. So with families come kids and the parents that want to raise them in good school districts. So I think you are right on when you talked about the school systems.

Another would be crime, at least as far as Anderson. I didn't look as much into Muncie or Kokomo. But certainly the perception of crime would be enough to keep people away from those areas.

But should Anderson somehow begin to reign in the crime and improve schools, it could possibly become desirable. But with other options like Fortville and Pendleton, I don't see it happening any time soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
29,360 posts, read 22,196,390 times
Reputation: 36380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I would say schools. I honestly don't know how the schools are in the cities you mentioned but if you look at the demographics for Fishers and Noblesville, they are very much family cities. According to the data here on CD, Fishers is 68% now married, Noblesville is 58% now married, while Anderson is just 38%. Never married and divorced in Anderson is about 3 times as high as that in Fishers. So with families come kids and the parents that want to raise them in good school districts. So I think you are right on when you talked about the school systems.

Another would be crime, at least as far as Anderson. I didn't look as much into Muncie or Kokomo. But certainly the perception of crime would be enough to keep people away from those areas.

But should Anderson somehow begin to reign in the crime and improve schools, it could possibly become desirable. But with other options like Fortville and Pendleton, I don't see it happening any time soon.
Fortville and Pendleton don't have as much as Anderson. They're less of an independent city. You could do most of your day to day stuff in Anderson without needing to go back toward Indy. Between Meijer, Walmart, Lowe's, Kroger, etc., some places to eat, you have essentials.

Agreed the crime looks bad on paper, but I never felt a bit unsafe there. It needs to be reduced and the blight needs to be cleaned up.

I don't think any real progress will happen in less than five years. There's just too much open land between the towns and housing prices aren't high enough yet to push people out farther.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,582 posts, read 5,211,185 times
Reputation: 4640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Fortville and Pendleton don't have as much as Anderson. They're less of an independent city. You could do most of your day to day stuff in Anderson without needing to go back toward Indy. Between Meijer, Walmart, Lowe's, Kroger, etc., some places to eat, you have essentials.

Agreed the crime looks bad on paper, but I never felt a bit unsafe there. It needs to be reduced and the blight needs to be cleaned up.

I don't think any real progress will happen in less than five years. There's just too much open land between the towns and housing prices aren't high enough yet to push people out farther.
I agree currently there isn't much in Pendleton or Fortville, though Fortville is close enough to Fishers. You can get from downtown Fortville to the Kroger at 116th and Olio in 10 minutes and to Hamilton Town Center in less than 15 minutes. My wife will drive that long to Mejier or Wal-Mart for groceries and we live in the heart of Fishers.

Pendleton offers more in town, including a Marsh (for now) but if Marsh shuts down, it will be a drive to get groceries from Pendleton because the next real grocery store would be, I think, Meijer in Anderson, about a 12-14 minute drive, and that area of Anderson does have a Menards and many restaurants. Still, I think both of those towns will experience spillover from Hamilton County long before Anderson does. And I think Pendleton especially is in a prime spot. Less than 15 minutes to stuff in Anderson. Less than 10 minutes to Hamilton Town Center. And 3 state highways, a US highway, and I-69 going through or right on the edge of it. I'm really curious to see how Pendleton plays things over the new decade or two.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2017, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
29,360 posts, read 22,196,390 times
Reputation: 36380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I agree currently there isn't much in Pendleton or Fortville, though Fortville is close enough to Fishers. You can get from downtown Fortville to the Kroger at 116th and Olio in 10 minutes and to Hamilton Town Center in less than 15 minutes. My wife will drive that long to Mejier or Wal-Mart for groceries and we live in the heart of Fishers.

Pendleton offers more in town, including a Marsh (for now) but if Marsh shuts down, it will be a drive to get groceries from Pendleton because the next real grocery store would be, I think, Meijer in Anderson, about a 12-14 minute drive, and that area of Anderson does have a Menards and many restaurants. Still, I think both of those towns will experience spillover from Hamilton County long before Anderson does. And I think Pendleton especially is in a prime spot. Less than 15 minutes to stuff in Anderson. Less than 10 minutes to Hamilton Town Center. And 3 state highways, a US highway, and I-69 going through or right on the edge of it. I'm really curious to see how Pendleton plays things over the new decade or two.
Before I left, I was looking at homes in Pendleton. I was pretty impressed with what you could get there. This was last summer, and I know the market has heated up since then, but I still saw quite a few offerings in Pendleton for ~$150k. These were mostly "vinyl boxes," but they were in reasonably nice neighborhoods, newer, and right next to the interstate. Fortville had some new housing starts on Trulia as well.

Muncie has Ball State at least, but Marion is just too far from Indy. I don't see Terre Haute or Richmond going anywhere either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top