Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:07 PM

7 posts, read 35,491 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm thinking about moving to Indianapolis from Omaha, in part, because of the low cost of living, and in part, to experience something new. My budget is about $550 per month for an apartment. What's concerning, however, are some of the crime statistics for Indianapolis. This is important because I deliver pizza for a living, and will probably transfer to a store in the Indianapolis area, and I want to be able to do that in a relatively safe part of town. I've read that Fishers, Zionsville, and a few of the Northern suburbs are very safe, but they are a little out of my price range. Are there any areas to totally avoid in Indianapolis? Also, I'm an avid cyclist, and in Omaha, we have some areas with 8 foot wide sidewalks that are really fun to ride. I know about the downtown bike lanes in Indy, but are there any other areas of the city besides downtown that are cyclist friendly? Thanks for your help!

P.S. Here are a couple of apartment locations that are in my price range (I found these on Apartments.com while looking for apartments under $550). Are these safe areas? If not, are there any other areas you would suggest instead? Please note, I'm not trying to promote anything - these are just the first 4 places that came up. Thanks!

9201 E 30th St, Indianapolis, IN 46229

7601 Carlton Arms Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46256

5816 W 38th St, Indianapolis, IN 46254

1808 Century Way, Indianapolis, IN 46260
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 07:24 PM

3,031 posts, read 2,335,055 times
Stay off of 38th Street.

The far north side of Indy is all pretty good. A neighborhood called Irvington is nice, too (it's on the east side at Washington, east of Emerson). Warren Park, just north of Irvington, is good, too if you can find an apartment there. So is Old Northside (just north of downtown), but you won't have a very big apartment there.

This article shows the six worst areas as of 2014.

Mayor Ballard and IMPD to focus on 6 dangerous Indy-area neighborhoods

Use this map to see where crimes have been reported:

https://indy.safetown.org/reports-viewer/

Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Stay off of 38th Street.

The far north side of Indy is all pretty good. A neighborhood called Irvington is nice, too (it's on the east side at Washington, east of Emerson). Warren Park, just north of Irvington, is good, too if you can find an apartment there. So is Old Northside (just north of downtown), but you won't have a very big apartment there.

This article shows the six worst areas as of 2014.

Mayor Ballard and IMPD to focus on 6 dangerous Indy-area neighborhoods

Use this map to see where crimes have been reported:

https://indy.safetown.org/reports-viewer/
Thanks! You mentioned to stay off 38th St, in this case West 38th. I also noticed from the apartments I referenced that there is also one on East 30th, in a totally different neighborhood. Is there a point at which a neighborhood on the West or East side becomes good or bad? Like, say West 90th or East 90th vs East or West 30th Street? I hope this makes sense...I really don't know anything about the area, and kind of threw 90th Street out there - just trying to understand the crime zones better.

Also, I had been looking at some of the Sourthern suburbs such as Greenwood. Are any other the Southern suburbs good or bad?

THANKS!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:06 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,248,887 times
In general you would be fine in any of the suburbs--north, south, east, or west. Rent will probably be cheapest in the south suburbs.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:07 PM

Let me put it this way. If you look at the article with the maps, 38th Street is that gray horizontal line one-third from the top of the map. 38th goes through three of the bad neighborhoods and close to another one.

I don't know much about the south area--I've only lived here for a year.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getagrip7 View Post
Is there a point at which a neighborhood on the West or East side becomes good or bad?

THANKS!
There are some dividing lines, but they're very local and it's a patchwork. I found the area I moved to by looking for a Starbucks, then looking at the interactive crime map. Starbucks won't put their stores in high crime areas.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:46 PM

918 posts, read 1,689,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
There are some dividing lines, but they're very local and it's a patchwork. I found the area I moved to by looking for a Starbucks, then looking at the interactive crime map. Starbucks won't put their stores in high crime areas.
Hmm, good idea.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:01 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,431,207 times
Yes, the Starbucks they opened a few years ago in sketchy areas have all closed. If you are going to deliver pizza, stay in the suburbs south, or north or far west.

Indy has a donut area that has a long way to go to become "safe" for pizza deliveries. Mostly inside I465 and including outside on the east/northeast area (like Lawrence).

This information is very general. I suspect the same demographics can be found in Omaha.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:57 AM

890 posts, read 876,007 times
Default Keep looking

These choices are not all that great. Not terrible choices, but not where I would want to live:

9201 E 30th St, Indianapolis, IN 46229

5816 W 38th St, Indianapolis, IN 46254

1808 Century Way, Indianapolis, IN 46260

I like this one the best:

7601 Carlton Arms Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46256
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis