U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,267 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to decide on a place to settle down after I graduate PA school. Our family lives in Marion, Indiana and I would like to live as close to them as possible, but willing to go no more than an hour away. I have been considering Huntington, Indiana simply because of the small-town-feel/close-knit-community. However, my wife is currently working in Indianapolis and really loves this area. She would really like to settle down in the Noblesville or Fishers area. I however, absolutely hate Indianapolis because of how busy it is and how careless and dramatic many people can be. I'm trying really hard to see her side of things, but when I think of Fishers and Noblesville, I think of busy, high maintenance people living in a really up-scale area. I know this probably sounds pretty judgmental, especially since I have never personally lived in either city, but this is just my take from several visits and knowing others who live in the area. I just want to find a place that is preferably within 45 minutes of Marion, a close-knit community that is open-minded and accepting, and a great area to start a family. Any opinions, experiences, or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:46 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,335,711 times
Have you considered Kokomo, Greentown, Peru? All our within 45 minutes of Marion and a easy commute to Indy. Or Tipton?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM

12 posts, read 11,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Have you considered Kokomo, Greentown, Peru? All our within 45 minutes of Marion and a easy commute to Indy. Or Tipton?
Kokomo would fit the requirements of the OP and keep the wife close to Indy. Decent small city too

Old 01-02-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
We're not interested in Kokomo or Peru, but we've actually never considered Greentown. I'll definitely bring that one up to my wife. Not really sure if she'll go for such a small town though. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 01-02-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdtothemax View Post
Kokomo would fit the requirements of the OP and keep the wife close to Indy. Decent small city too
We actually know Kokomo very well and it definitely is not a place we are interested in. There is way too much crime and the schools are terrible. We also never got a sense of community while we were there.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 PM

12 posts, read 11,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_H View Post
We actually know Kokomo very well and it definitely is not a place we are interested in. There is way too much crime and the schools are terrible. We also never got a sense of community while we were there.
Crime in Kokomo?
Unless you deal drugs and are involved with gangs there's no reason to be worrying and paranoid over it. 2nd the schools aren't bad. Of course its not a Carmel level but they are still decent.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdtothemax View Post
Crime in Kokomo?
Unless you deal drugs and are involved with gangs there's no reason to be worrying and paranoid over it. 2nd the schools aren't bad. Of course its not a Carmel level but they are still decent.
I'm not saying it's a bad place in general, it's just not a place we are interested in. Kokomo reminds us a lot of Marion and that isn't something we want for our family. No intentions to patronize, my apologies.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,335,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_H View Post
I'm not saying it's a bad place in general, it's just not a place we are interested in. Kokomo reminds us a lot of Marion and that isn't something we want for our family. No intentions to patronize, my apologies.
If you think Kokomo has a high crime rate and bad schools then Noblesville or Westfield is probably a better choice for you. Greentown, Russiaville are nice small towns but they are linked with Kokomo.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,097,067 times
You might consider Kentucky instead of Indiana if you're worried about snootiness. I don't particularly find Hoosiers to be snooty, but some aren't as outgoing as you might be looking for. You really don't find friendlier people (that aren't the fake friendly like in the Carolinas and deep south) than in KY. If you NEED to be near Indy, then maybe look at Bloomington instead. They really do have a sense of community there amongst the townies (the non-college affiliated people) it's low in crime and people are nicer there than in Indy. I lived in Noblesville/Fishers (141st and SR 37) for 8 years and 2 years in B-ton and am now in Louisville and it's better than either, in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:50 PM

29,334 posts, read 22,169,500 times
Noblesville seems to be retaining some of its small town charm - however, that's probably not going to last as continued development in Fishers leads to more people moving "out" to Noblesville for quieter living.

All the north side suburbs are nice places to live, but I definitely agree on the snooty vibe as someone not from Indiana who lived in Carmel for about three years. However, you get very good schools, a comparative bargain in the suburban lifestyle, and a safe community in any of these suburbs for the snootiness.

I also agree that the smaller towns in Indiana are much, much friendlier than Indy. My ex lived in Anderson, and the people there are far more down to earth and like what I was used to than putting in the suburbs, but those communities will have more crime, worse schools, be more run down, etc.

You need to take a job and base your residence around that. It makes no sense to buy a house in Noblesville and then have to commute to the airport every day. Bloomington to Indy is also going to be quite a haul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis