U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:46 PM

64 posts, read 50,256 times

Advertisements

Just want to double check that I've got this info correct:

1) People with an out of state license trying to get an Indiana license must take the written exam, but not the driving exam?

2) Cars from out of state getting Indiana plates/registration in Indianapolis-area counties do NOT have to get smog tested, not even the first time at registration?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM

11 posts, read 9,379 times
Your first question should be somewhere in this link. It didn't jump out at me.
: Obtaining a Driver's License

We also have excise tax on vehicles. Be prepared. $$$

2nd question - no.
Indiana has NO VEHICLE INSPECTIONS OF ANY KIND.

Gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that over half the vehicles on our roads are potential death machines. Nope - we don't even give the driver a chance to get drunk first.

Scares me when I see a broken driver or passenger window replaced with duct tape and a garbage bag.

They should just close Indiana down.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 AM

664 posts, read 2,573,659 times
Since this is in the Indy section, no there is not a smog test. However a few counties in Indiana do smog test. Also when you register the car for the first time there is a chance that they will have a police officer inspect the car. Basically they are just running the VIN. I had this happen the last time I bought a car out of state.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:16 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,260,125 times
This link has the laws pertaining to new Indiana residents obtaining a drivers license and registration. As long as you have a drivers license that is not more than 3 years expired, you only need to pass the written exam. There are other documents you will need to take with you so definitely look this over. You have to get a new license and registration within 60 days of moving here.

: New Indiana Residents

Lake and Porter counties in northwest Indiana are the only counties that require any emissions testing. As mentioned, they will do a VIN inspection of the car as well when you register it and the car needs to be present at the BMV when you go in.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfarr56 View Post

2nd question - no.

Gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling to know that over half the vehicles on our roads are potential death machines. Nope - we don't even give the driver a chance to get drunk first.

Scares me when I see a broken driver or passenger window replaced with duct tape and a garbage bag.

Thanks for pointing this out! I hadn't heard about that. Thankfully our car is cheap and old (2006 model) and it looks like the excise tax shouldn't be much.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig'sbird View Post
Since this is in the Indy section, no there is not a smog test. However a few counties in Indiana do smog test. Also when you register the car for the first time there is a chance that they will have a police officer inspect the car. Basically they are just running the VIN. I had this happen the last time I bought a car out of state.
I'm good with a VIN inspection!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
This link has the laws pertaining to new Indiana residents obtaining a drivers license and registration. As long as you have a drivers license that is not more than 3 years expired, you only need to pass the written exam. There are other documents you will need to take with you so definitely look this over. You have to get a new license and registration within 60 days of moving here.

: New Indiana Residents

Lake and Porter counties in northwest Indiana are the only counties that require any emissions testing. As mentioned, they will do a VIN inspection of the car as well when you register it and the car needs to be present at the BMV when you go in.
Ok, good stuff! License is not expired, so written test it is. Didn't want to re-learn parallel parking

Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM

20,993 posts, read 15,296,258 times
I took the written exam when I moved from Tennessee. Whole process was painless - about an hour. Even though the car is older, it may still be $200 or so to complete the process.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 222 times
What does the knowledge exam consist of? How many questions. Seems weird to have to take a written test if I am transferring my current drivers license when I move to Indy.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:57 PM

2,579 posts, read 1,736,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfarr56 View Post

2nd question - no.

Vehicle inspections are one more way for the state to squeeze more money out of a vehicle owner, as if the license registration fee each year is not enough. A vehicle can pass inspection today and tomorrow a brake light goes out and the driver can driver can drive it like that until next years inspection comes due. I've never seen or heard any stats where a state mandated inspection reduces accidents. I suppose I can understand a vehicle being inspected once it's reached a certain age, say 10 years old, but is it really necessary to inspect a car that's less than 10 years old? Vehicles now-a-days are built to last 2 and 300,000 miles, unlike the 1960's and 70's when a vehicle owner would be lucky if the vehicle lasted 75,000 miles. Indiana did away with inspections after I already left. I wish Texas would have followed suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis