Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 PM

527 posts, read 2,168,853 times

Advertisements

We may be moving to Indiana and we plan to stay in Greenwood or little on the upper side of the county road (which falls under Indianapolis zip). We have seen a few apartments but some apartments gave us that feeling of not wanting to stay but some were pretty good. We are super confused and not sure which areas are good and safe. We really want to know from people around to direct us in this regard.

School district is not really a concern to me but I have a colleague with me who has a child in 3rd grade and he needs a good elementary. So yes school district is a consideration. He would want a 8/9/10 graded school. And we plan to stay in one community. Here are a few addresses were have decided but we may see apartments around this.

7251 Windsor Lakes Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46237 (this just little north of greenwood)

6810 Valley Ridge Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46237

8401 Boggs Creek Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46237

8940 Latitudes Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46237

921 Parliament Pl, Greenwood, IN 46142

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going through other threads on the forum and some mention that don't go to old and non maintained areas but I have no idea what those areas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Welcome to Indiana, rak007!
(yep I'm over here now for the time being instead of Dayton, due south in Columbus IN).

I know a lot of people that live in Greenwood, although I never visit any of these people outside work, and I have had to brave Greenwood to go to the store a couple of times.

Here's my best advice:
DO NOT MOVE TO GREENWOOD.

It is a h#llhole.

Really.
It is. A miserable, awful, decrepit, depressing, meth and heroin ridden shell of a place that could be decent with proper planning and culture.

It's a waste of a suburb, and that's coming from someone who doesn't really like suburbs.
Imagine the worst of Sidney OH magnified by 10. It's a skeeve-hole.

The only exception might be a small handful of complexes directly abutting the interstate for easy escape from the misery that is this epitome of what's wrong with this state.

-----

So that being said, where to look?

Columbus is beautiful, and if you can spare $1000/mo I'd highly, highly recommend The Cole apartments downtown.
It'd also put you in Columbus North HS which is decent.

Franklin seems OK from what I can tell, it's definitely worth a look, it'd be nicer than Sidney for sure.

Franklin Township in Indianapolis has decent schools, etc. not sure about apartments. Lots of new, cheaply built homes that won't hold their value dot the landscape there.

Where'd I'd most highly recommend if you can pull it off is the northside of town, somewhere around Castleton, Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville. The commute's longer, but that's not a bad thing when it comes to distance from Greenwood.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
So s/he should take the advice of a person that doesn't like suburbs and has never actually been in a residence in Greenwood, but has shopped there?

Makes sense????

Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
So s/he should take the advice of a person that doesn't like suburbs and has never actually been in a residence in Greenwood, but has shopped there?

Makes sense????
He should take the advice of a fellow Daytonian who is also brand new to Indiana and giving an unbiased opinion of what he's seen and experienced through his short amount of time in the area.....

Not your characterization.

Thanks for the welcome to your state btw.
It's that midwestern kindness at its finest.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:41 PM

11 posts, read 23,586 times
Wow! I live just a little south of Greenwood and I couldn't disagree more. Greenwood is a great city. Well kept and great schools. Franklin would also be a good choice. I checked out all of your choices and anyone of the would be fine except for the last one on Parliment. That is a not so great, old complex.
I love Columbus too but there is a huge drug problem. The Cole apartments would be a very poor choice for anyone with a child. It is literally surrounded on all sides by main roads.
I personally would not live any farther north than you've been looking.
Good luck!

Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Lived in Greenwood, have family that's still there, visit often.

I have no idea what this person is describing, as I can't think of a part of Greenwood that even remotely resembles what they describe.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of trolls here who enjoy trashing areas they don't or have never lived in. "Passing through" hardly gives one the right to make assumptions.

Most, if not all, of Greenwood is nice, mostly middle class areas. There are some higher end parts, and some "vinyl villages" with a fair amount of non-native residents.

RM

Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Greenwood is OK. Not great, but OK. Certainly not a "h#llhole."

I would suggest looking near I-65, a little farther north, in Franklin Township (Marion County). You are close (10-15 minutes) to both Greenwood and downtown Indy. The area of your first address is exactly the area I am talking about, but I would make sure to be in Franklin Township rather than Perry Township if public schools are a concern.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Greenwood is a middle of the road, generally middle class suburb.

HOWEVER, north of County Line Rd isn't Geeenwood, that's Indianapolis. It isn't an area "that falls under an Indianapolis zip code." It IS Indianapolis. As far as the addresses in the 46237 zip code, most of that area is fine albiet unremarkable. You're better moving away from Beech Grove. I'm not sure if any of that area lands in Franklin Township, most of that area will be Perry Township schools.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:29 PM

527 posts, read 2,168,853 times
Wow so many replies in last one day.

@SWOH
Nice to see you back here and I sincerely appreciate you remembering me. I asked several queries when I came to US 2 years back and other things to do in and around Dayton.

@All Others who replies including SWOH.

Here are a few things I did not mentioned and I apologize. Our work location is no where near greenwood actually. It is 40 miles east in Rushville so yes we will be making this commute daily (carpool). I know some people would be like "why do you want to travel 40 miles one way daily". I totally understand you guys. But we are living in a pretty small city Sidney, OH since 2 years and we have so less to do here. Rushville is even smaller. Our wives also don't want to live in small place anymore. This is the reason we want to live in a good place and hence we actually drilled down on Greenwood and Columbus. In fact just yesterday me and my colleagues made the trip to Columbus, IN and Greenwood (again) to see a few apartments. We actually have some colleagues in Columbus who work for Cummins and lots of Indians there.
We intend to stay for 1 Year only as there is a good chance we will move again to some other city next year (around april) So it is going to be a year stay. We are also looking at Franklin Township which I believe is actually Indianapolis. We too felt Greenwood by itself is congested and although some apartments are relatively cheaper, those are not in good school districts and we never felt good about those when we visited them. We intend to stay right of I65 north side, which is the Franklin Township.
Some of the apartments we saw yesterday are..

(Not in any order of preference)
Lakes of Windsor
Overlook at Valley Ridge
Keeneland Crest
Latitude Apartments.

The above apartments seem to fall under the Franklin Township Schools (Bunker Hill elementary) but need to ask the school. Couple of them sure do fall in this school district, not sure about Keeneland and Latitude.

I honestly don't want to sound racist or anything so apologize if it sounds so, but we do see if there is a decent number of Indian population as it helps us and especially wives to socialize.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Greenwood is OK. Not great, but OK. Certainly not a "h#llhole."

I would suggest looking near I-65, a little farther north, in Franklin Township (Marion County). You are close (10-15 minutes) to both Greenwood and downtown Indy. The area of your first address is exactly the area I am talking about, but I would make sure to be in Franklin Township rather than Perry Township if public schools are a concern.
Maybe I'm seeing the wrong parts... I go over by the mall (rarely, I avoid it if I can).

I've been almost T-Boned driving over there more times than I can count.
I've been hustled for money in the Kohl's parking lot there, more than once.
And I've only been to that Kohl's once.....

And that's just one story from there and I don't even go that often. Or look that weird or anything. I don't understand it (and I'm very glad I didn't choose to move there!)

Anyways, I digress....

rak007, it looks like you guys are going for some solid choices, although Columbus to Rushville would be an awful hike. IN 46 can be very tempermental, one day you could be going a normal or higher speed with no issue and the next you're caught behind a slowpoke that doesn't believe in driving above 45mph. IN seems to keep the route in good repair though, snow and all, so that should help at least.

Shelbyville isn't horrible, the commute would be easy, but there's no Indian population there and I have heard of co-workers experiencing a good deal of racist hate acts committed against them in the city. Overall I'd give it an edge over Greenwood.

Greensburg has a very, very small Indian population, mostly younger and employed at Honda (a few might be employed at Valeo, etc. in town too). It might be worth a look, but keep in mind it'll be just like Sidney but even more isolated.

Franklin Twp. might not be bad. It's growing. Schools are decent. But I'd really wonder about the Indian community there.

Which puts me at IMO what you're best option is.... Castleton. The commute might get hectic at times on 465 east, but at least it would be under an hour. The area is nice and diverse, there should be an Indian community there. I am not sure about schools, but it wouldn't be too difficult to choose an apartment an extra minute or two up the road in the Excellent-rated Fishers schools. Or in Carmel. That area is quite affluent, well-educated, and transient. It'd be an excellent choice.

Otherwise, I'd still recommend Columbus and strongly advise against Greenwood.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis