Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:17 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,472,848 times

Advertisements

Indy doesnt feel at all big to me. The streets are set up on a nice grid system and big enough to travel on. I find it easy to drive around and there is only a few times and places that have issues with rush hour. It is nothing like Chicago. Lots of trees. We used to eat atop the tallest building at the time and comment on how green the city was. There is an incrediblely diverse and inexpensive housing stock. I think because the city was a manufacturing hub, lots of workers equalled lots of little houses. It has built up from there. Very different from an area like Raleigh, NC where the housing has to a large extent been built in the last 20 years. You can get townhouses and homes for less than $100,000 and of course go up to the multimillion dollar ones.

We have most of the chain stores and the specialty ones now from Chicago. Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Cheesecake Factory, Nordstrums, Whole Foods (coming), Wild Oats, Trader Joes, Ann Taylor, etc. Most are concentrated on the north side where the demographics would say the money is located.

We have a lot of restaurants from chain, to chef owned to ethnic eateries. We have many community centers for ethnic groups. Just this weekend I went to a popular Latvian Bake Sale held at their community center. There is a big Indian and a big Chinese community here. Also Hispanic. Great little tamale store I just found.

We have lots of educational resources (IUPUI, Butler, etc.) and a huge number of hospitals from Riley Hospital for Children to a VA Hospital going thru a major building boom.

All the sports franchises seem to be here including the Indianapolis 500.

But it still seems like a quiet smallish city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by short and sweet View Post
It is okey to visit but a place to live. People are moving out of here due to high crime and violence. 1 thing you should know is Indianaplis has a higher crime rate than Los Angeles CA. Before you make a big mistake go to this web site, www.livingchoices.com and look up the area in which you are interested. Believe me unless you are a criminal this is not where you want to live I was wanting out of Indiana totally but do not have enough money to go and actually cant wait to get the money....... My happy butt will be going South bound .........Tennessee, Florida , California, Arizona, ect. PLease heed this as I am thinking of your well being. Trust me I wish I could get out of here and be anywhere else. Please check out the web site, for yourself please. I hope you make the right choices.

SOME places in Indianapolis have high crime, just like any other city. Indianapolis's police force isn't as good as Los Angeles's.

Anyways, to your response, you might want to consider somewhere on the northeastern side of Indy, but it can be a little pricey. Living downtown should be okay if you're going to work downtown, but it does get crowded at times.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:54 PM

32 posts, read 155,162 times
Lets keep this simple, first of all Indianapolis is a small capitol city, you can drive from one side of downtown to the other at most any time in 25 minutes. Now that said, if you go east, west or south or North, you need to go outside 465 to get into safer area's, Indianapolis is very diverse, and you should definatly drive all around with a map and check us out, do not rent or buy until you have seen every side of Indianapolis, if you like living in the city, and you are a little skiddish than it is gonna cost you to get into a nice condo. There are alot of nice apartment complexes around our city, This is definatly something you will have to fiqure out on your own. Good Luck on your new job here though.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:17 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,301 times
Don't listen to short and sweet. She probably lives in a bad neighborhood and has no hope obviously. She is worried about crime and is wanting to go to AZ CA, TN or FL? Give me a break! AZ is the most dangerous state for violent crime and Phoenix is terrible for crime (used 2 live there too). Are you kidding me?? Did anyone tell her that those are among the most dangerous states for violent crime. She is an idiot. Proabably no education either!

Listen, Indy is a good place to live. No, the crime is not that bad. It has its good and bad areas, like anywhere else--it's a large city, so what would she expect? She is in for a shock when she finds out that AZ, CA and FL are NOT utopias. She is nuts. I moved back to Indy 3 months ago after living near Detroit and Phoenix and she thinks Indy is more dangerous than Los Angeles? What a nut. She should be in a nut house for even thinking such a stupid thing. Despite the stupid things she says and thinks, Indy is a growing city. People are moving here, especially into Hamilton County to the north. Most of the pople who move to Indy are from some other area of Indiana. She is displaying her ignorance!! Dont listen to her. I've lived in 3 other cities including Detroit and I find Indy to be the best option from my experience.

I would suggest living up near the area of Castleton, where there is shopping galore. Broad Ripple is nice as everyone has said and is good for singles. However, I must say that Indy is not a good place for singles in general and is more oriented for families with children. But a good place to live nonetheless, especially if you plan to get married and start a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis