Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,464 times

Advertisements

Hello, so I currently live in cailfornia, life here is hard average rent for a two bedroom is 1800 and up. I'm a single mom with two kids and work as a cna.
I have about 100 grand saved up, my plan is to buy a 75,000 or under condo in Indiana . And live rent free, and work part time, to be able to spend more time with my children.
I have zero help or family in CA , so it really doesn't make a difference. if I move I will still be alone.
Do you think this is a good idea? Is Indiana an ideal place to live?
I do plan on furthering my education and getting a better job one day.
Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,450,052 times
Make sure your income and expenses match. Lots of work here for a cna but salaries are low.

Loads of condos. Check out our local listing mibor.com for listings. You won't live rent free but will be mortgage free. There is still HOA monthly fees, utilities, taxes, insurance, etc. Currently 57 listings under $75,000.

Ensure you can further your education where you decide to land. We do have huge hospital and medical facilities and a medical school in Indianapolis. Within 2 miles of my house are about 9 hospitals including Eskenazi, Riley, Methodis, VA, etc.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,464 times
Thank u for that, I will check that out.
And I'll be looking for something with a reasonable hoa fee

Old 05-13-2017, 06:01 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,064,868 times
I have many friends and relatives who have went through Ivy Tech's nursing program to obtain their RN license. These are people who had GEDs to four year degrees in another field. They've all found great nursing jobs soon after completing their education. Most of the hospitals here I'm hearing now require a four year degree, so even after they get their two year degree at Ivy Tech, most are doing the state's on-line college, WGU, to obtain their four year degree. It is all on-line and I've heard some complete the two year program in as little as a year. Just depends on how much free time one has and their drive to do the required work.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,325 times
Hi Tanyaputina,
I'm in the same boat. currently living in NJ ,
single I too work in the medical of optometry so would be looking for positions.
lots of luck to you.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:38 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,195,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyaputina View Post
Hello, so I currently live in cailfornia, life here is hard average rent for a two bedroom is 1800 and up. I'm a single mom with two kids and work as a cna.
I have about 100 grand saved up, my plan is to buy a 75,000 or under condo in Indiana . And live rent free, and work part time, to be able to spend more time with my children.
I have zero help or family in CA , so it really doesn't make a difference. if I move I will still be alone.
Do you think this is a good idea? Is Indiana an ideal place to live?
I do plan on furthering my education and getting a better job one day.
Thanks for your input.
In my honest opinion, The Dallas/Fort Worth area in North Texas would be a MUCH better place to live and work than anywhere in Indiana ever will be. Let's Face it, Much of the rest of the Country would probably be better than the no good state of Indiana; I have lived in the Indianapolis area for the last 24 years and I can't wait to leave.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:22 AM

20 posts, read 75,902 times
Hi. Indiana is a great state and I think getting out of .CA is smart.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:55 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
OP, I spent 17 years down the road in Columbus, Ohio and grew up in the Great Lakes area. Weather is something you need to take into account. The winters are very dark. It's possible to have 19 days in a row without sunshine in this area.

I agree with the TX recommendation: salaries will be decent there.

You might also want to take a look at Des Moines, and Mercy Hospital has Mercy College, for additional training, plus our schools are generally better. The better schools in Indy are in Fishers, and that's expensive.

Ideally, take several long weekends for some boots-on-the-ground exploration. I know it's expensive, but look for some Southwest getaways. Some places look good on paper, but when you actually go there, you find things that may be deal breakers. Conversely, you may find selling points for you personally that aren't on the internet.

I totally agree that you will do better outside of CA.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:30 PM

108 posts, read 165,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
In my honest opinion, The Dallas/Fort Worth area in North Texas would be a MUCH better place to live and work than anywhere in Indiana ever will be. Let's Face it, Much of the rest of the Country would probably be better than the no good state of Indiana; I have lived in the Indianapolis area for the last 24 years and I can't wait to leave.
Have you lived in Dallas/Ft. Worth? Get ready for more than double the property taxes of Indiana and an hour commute that gets you across 1/5 of the metro area only. OP is looking at cost of living and Indy has that. If you can't wait to leave, then get on with it. I have now lived in 5 metro areas around the country and came back to the Indy area for cost of living, family-oriented living, and opportunities. It has all that. The biggest downside here is crime and that is easily avoidable if you know where it exists. The weather has been phenomenal the last couple of years... maybe that is an anomaly but depending on where you are in Cali (also travel there monthly) it may not be a factor.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:08 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,646,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Kev View Post
You been here 24yrs and still can't save enough money to leave just tells me you're never leaving and if it takes you 24yrs then you'll struggle in a larger more expensive city. I suggest you stay put and make the best of it.
You bumped a 7 month old thread to tell the OP this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis