Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:40 PM

24 posts, read 66,122 times

Advertisements

Im really appreciating all the feedback, thank you everyone.

I appreciate the comments about snow tires. All the research Ive done has told me the opposite. That “all weather” tires really dont function in snow, and snow tires dont work for summer months, so that you need to have a set of both and be switching back and forth for safety. Growing up in california I dont change my tires until they are bald. But when I was in WA I did have some difficutly breaking in the snow. Does snow tires help with that??? Safety is obviously #1 but it sounds like everyone else knows how to drive without snowtires?

The tattoo issue. I have two full sleeves, my legs, stomach, chest, and neck tattooed. No face tattoos-ever. I love my artwork and its all well done and none of it is gang or drug related or any offensive images. I have things like palm trees and sea shells and dream catchers. I would say 99% of the people here in SoCal have no issue with my tattoos. There is that 1% of snobby rich old people who just hate themselves and are bitter in general. Like the people who go out of their way to approach me at the park and tell me I shouldnt be feeding the squirrels. Some people you can just tell like to insert themselves into everybody’s business and have an opinion about everything. Overall its very laid back. In the PNW as well when I was there it was also very tattooed and accepting of the like, piercings, pink hair, people smoking weed on the street. That was legal in WA when I lived there and it was not yet legal in CA so it was a sight to see. The tattoo issue brings me to the Indy vs Suburbs (Carmel/Fishers) topic....

As previously stated I know Indy would be better for meeting people. And that is big for a single person like myself. But big cities have too much traffic, crime, homeless, lack of parking, are usually dirtier overall than suburbs, public use of drugs, and the like. Ive neve been to Indy myself but I have travel to other big cities in other states and thats usually the case. Seattle and Olympia had visible drug addicts on the street, homeless, didnt feel safe walking to my car alone at night. On the other hand, Bellevue WA (one of the nicest places ever) was a Seattle suburb. Super clean city, but of course more expensive. Not in my budget. I do have a friend who has been to Indy several times himself and has warned me its seedy and lots of crime and to not walk alone at night. I was attacked by a crazy homeless person here in one of the nicest cities in SoCal (Laguna Beach) so I do know bad things can still happen just about anywhere. But as a single woman living alone I want to be as safe as possible.

The bug issue. As Im looking for apartments in Fishers and Carmel all the nice ones seem to boast a pond and hiking trails. Two things that sound lovely. If bugs really arent a big issue. But if you do have skeeters with west nile virus why do all these nice apartments have ponds! I dont want to be near that! And same goes for hiking. I love love love the outdoors. But is there more bugs in those wooded areas? Just seems strange that those would be bragging points for these complexes hmmmm. I love camping too. Are there any non bug problem areas for camping? I met a lady the other day who moved to CA from IN and told me to visit brown county. Where is that???

Serious Conversation- thanks for the cities you suggested. Im going to look them up. What part of MA did you move from? Boston seems beautiful (but out of my price range) and so does Marthas Vineyard.

ImmerLerner- I dont smoke weed or do any drugs myself, so I understand what your saying. And a conservative area has its upsides for sure. However, from the 30 years Ive lived here (and most recently) the vibe seems to be “anything goes”. Lets get high, lets be gay, lets get tattooed blah blah blah. This is my opinion. Not to say I never meet stricty conservative people. I do. But sadly those are usually the ones with a stick up their ass and judge everyone and assume if you have tattoos then you must be a druggie low life. Which I dont appreciate. Im tattooed and a good citizen. I always do volunteer work every week. I follow the laws. Pay my taxes.

Sheerbliss- what made you move from CO? Years ago I was trying to move there. I looked into Parker and Lone Tree and Centennial and gosh I think it was called flat iron crossing... suburb area. It used to be affordable there but rents went up by a lot The last CO article I read said boulder is about $1500/month to live. Being as SoCal is $1700/month thats a big increase IMO. Anyways, I like to keep the temperature inside about 65-72. Even when Im not home I do have pets and want them to not suffer either. Right now I have a place with no air so I run two fans in my bedroom in the warm months and its still pretty awful. When I do have air I use it and the bill can be $300/month. The cold months is where I save all my money. I never run the heat in CA. In WA it got about 17 degrees so yes I was running the heat. But IMO there is no need for heat in CA. People are so spoiled with the weather here they complain its freezing when its like 55 out. To me thats not cold weather. But thats because Ive lived other places where you actually need heat. By comparison our winters stay warm enough.

Ischyros- I will look up Meijer. Ive never heard of that. But I love suggestions. Yes I knew there was a tattoo shop in Carmel. It was the first thing I looked up! And I wanted to see if they needed any help, like a receptionist because I would fit right in! Also thanks for the suggestion about bug candles. Its worth a try. Although my cats love to knock over candles so Im limited on where I can put them! 9pm sunsets? And the bugs are only bad around that time?? Is this just in the summertime? Im thinking its too cold for skeeters in the cooler months? I do love sunset... its my favorite time of day to enjoy being outside. I always watch the sun set over the ocean and its one of the most beautiful sights. But at least that means most of the day you be outside bug free??

W&C- yes some people think tattoos are only for sailors and harlots. Someone actually told me that once. Its usually much older people. Tattoos are just not acceptable according to their generation. Which I can understand. Its kind of like the weed thing. People 10 years younger than me are seeing it as the hip thing to do. But in my day thats what losers did who wanted to be burnouts and flunk out of school. So its all just perception I guess. i dont consider myself a red neck but I do love artwork and very proud of mine.

Last edited by Caliraiderette; 12-08-2017 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliraiderette View Post

Walking around the IN suburbs on a daily basis and grocery shopping and running errands will people be friendly toward me or rude, since I have tattoos. Visible tattoos are very common where I live and totally acceptable. But people here are also very pro gays and pro smoking weed (its legal here). So I would like to know if people will treat me differently there for having tattoos?
!
I been told tattoos are pretty common on people younger than 35 years old in Muncie, so my guess is Anderson is the same way. Most people won't give a lick if you're entire body is covered with tattoos. They may stare if you're entire body is covered with tattoos, but you'd have to expect that. But that shouldn't matter because most tattooed up people want their tattoos to be seen, or why have them on uncovered parts of the body?. If they do stare, they will stare when they think you're not looking, because they won't want to appear rude, but sometimes it's hard not to look at a tattooed up body, especially the ones who have something to read tattooed on their arms or shoulders. But I doubt anybody will say anything downright rude to you because of your tattoos. Unless you happen to put off a strange vibe or have a defensive attitude, you might get some unwanted comments about being tattooed up, otherwise, I don't think you'll have any problems with the folks in Anderson being tattooed up.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Im really appreciating all the feedback, thank you everyone.

I appreciate the comments about snow tires. All the research Ive done has told me the opposite. That “all weather” tires really dont function in snow, and snow tires dont work for summer months, so that you need to have a set of both and be switching back and forth for safety. Growing up in california I dont change my tires until they are bald. But when I was in WA I did have some difficutly breaking in the snow. Does snow tires help with that??? Safety is obviously #1 but it sounds like everyone else knows how to drive without snowtires?

The tattoo issue. I have two full sleeves, my legs, stomach, chest, and neck tattooed. No face tattoos-ever. I love my artwork and its all well done and none of it is gang or drug related or any offensive images. I have things like palm trees and sea shells and dream catchers. I would say 99% of the people here in SoCal have no issue with my tattoos. There is that 1% of snobby rich old people who just hate themselves and are bitter in general. Like the people who go out of their way to approach me at the park and tell me I shouldnt be feeding the squirrels. Some people you can just tell like to insert themselves into everybody’s business and have an opinion about everything. Overall its very laid back. In the PNW as well when I was there it was also very tattooed and accepting of the like, piercings, pink hair, people smoking weed on the street. That was legal in WA when I lived there and it was not yet legal in CA so it was a sight to see. The tattoo issue brings me to the Indy vs Suburbs (Carmel/Fishers) topic....

As previously stated I know Indy would be better for meeting people. And that is big for a single person like myself. But big cities have too much traffic, crime, homeless, lack of parking, are usually dirtier overall than suburbs, public use of drugs, and the like. Ive neve been to Indy myself but I have travel to other big cities in other states and thats usually the case. Seattle and Olympia had visible drug addicts on the street, homeless, didnt feel safe walking to my car alone at night. On the other hand, Bellevue WA (one of the nicest places ever) was a Seattle suburb. Super clean city, but of course more expensive. Not in my budget. I do have a friend who has been to Indy several times himself and has warned me its seedy and lots of crime and to not walk alone at night. I was attacked by a crazy homeless person here in one of the nicest cities in SoCal (Laguna Beach) so I do know bad things can still happen just about anywhere. But as a single woman living alone I want to be as safe as possible.

The bug issue. As Im looking for apartments in Fishers and Carmel all the nice ones seem to boast a pond and hiking trails. Two things that sound lovely. If bugs really arent a big issue. But if you do have skeeters with west nile virus why do all these nice apartments have ponds! I dont want to be near that! And same goes for hiking. I love love love the outdoors. But is there more bugs in those wooded areas? Just seems strange that those would be bragging points for these complexes hmmmm. I love camping too. Are there any non bug problem areas for camping? I met a lady the other day who moved to CA from IN and told me to visit brown county. Where is that???

Serious Conversation- thanks for the cities you suggested. Im going to look them up. What part of MA did you move from? Boston seems beautiful (but out of my price range) and so does Marthas Vineyard.

ImmerLerner- I dont smoke weed or do any drugs myself, so I understand what your saying. And a conservative area has its upsides for sure. However, from the 30 years Ive lived here (and most recently) the vibe seems to be “anything goes”. Lets get high, lets be gay, lets get tattooed blah blah blah. This is my opinion. Not to say I never meet stricty conservative people. I do. But sadly those are usually the ones with a stick up their ass and judge everyone and assume if you have tattoos then you must be a druggie low life. Which I dont appreciate. Im tattooed and a good citizen. I always do volunteer work every week. I follow the laws. Pay my taxes.

Sheerbliss- what made you move from CO? Years ago I was trying to move there. I looked into Parker and Lone Tree and Centennial and gosh I think it was called flat iron crossing... suburb area. It used to be affordable there but rents went up by a lot The last CO article I read said boulder is about $1500/month to live. Being as SoCal is $1700/month thats a big increase IMO. Anyways, I like to keep the temperature inside about 65-72. Even when Im not home I do have pets and want them to not suffer either. Right now I have a place with no air so I run two fans in my bedroom in the warm months and its still pretty awful. When I do have air I use it and the bill can be $300/month. The cold months is where I save all my money. I never run the heat in CA. In WA it got about 17 degrees so yes I was running the heat. But IMO there is no need for heat in CA. People are so spoiled with the weather here they complain its freezing when its like 55 out. To me thats not cold weather. But thats because Ive lived other places where you actually need heat. By comparison our winters stay warm enough.

Ischyros- I will look up Meijer. Ive never heard of that. But I love suggestions. Yes I knew there was a tattoo shop in Carmel. It was the first thing I looked up! And I wanted to see if they needed any help, like a receptionist because I would fit right in! Also thanks for the suggestion about bug candles. Its worth a try. Although my cats love to knock over candles so Im limited on where I can put them! 9pm sunsets? And the bugs are only bad around that time?? Is this just in the summertime? Im thinking its too cold for skeeters in the cooler months? I do love sunset... its my favorite time of day to enjoy being outside. I always watch the sun set over the ocean and its one of the most beautiful sights. But at least that means most of the day you be outside bug free??

W&C- yes some people think tattoos are only for sailors and harlots. Someone actually told me that once. Its usually much older people. Tattoos are just not acceptable according to their generation. Which I can understand. Its kind of like the weed thing. People 10 years younger than me are seeing it as the hip thing to do. But in my day thats what losers did who wanted to be burnouts and flunk out of school. So its all just perception I guess. i dont consider myself a red neck but I do love artwork and very proud of mine.
Regarding ponds and mosquitos: Ponds have fish in them. Fish LOVE to eat mosquito larvae. Its the puddles left after a heavy rain..... that stay for several days - this is the type of water that mosquito larvae might be present and hatch out. Ponds are not a problem.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
My latest IPL (electric) bill is $46.40. Water & gas: $110.21.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
No one cares about tattoos anymore, outside of racist ones or something very, very odd. Fact tats, yea those are still somewhat odd, but anything else is almost normal anymore. I'm 40 and my generation, from those women I hung out with, usually got something small, in their early 20s, and usually on the ankle or lower back. Today, things are a complete 180. I went back to college and go to school with late teens and 20s somethings. Of the girls I can see, all of them, just out of high school, have tats of some kind. Arms, legs, foot, etc.. Piercings are a big deal as well. Nose, various ear, and then who knows what else. Colored hair isn't as popular, but it is definitely out there.

These younger people are even causing the older generations to do the same thing. My mom hated, with a passion, tattoos. She was brainwashed from my grandfather I think. He had a topless woman tattoo at one time, tats all down his arms. He went on to have four girls, and the topless woman ended up with a bikini top! I swear he told all four of the girls how horrible tats were every day for my mom to be so against them. Being the good kid and tat culture not being a thing, I never did get anything. Today, I'm thinking seriously about getting one. I know people in their 40s getting full sleeve tats, new tats, etc.. I think if I got noticeable tats, my sister will get something big as well. She got something small concerning her kids, but that is all.

So basically, you'll be fine with all your tattoos. People are on our city Reddit page constantly asking for tat artist recommendations.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 AM

I moved from Colorado basically because of the cost of living. Not only are things cheaper here, but there's very little pressure to keep up with the Joneses. People here tend to use things until they're worn out. Even houses and buildings are usually rehabbed rather than torn down and replaced if they can be saved. In Denver, OTOH, they can't tear down nice little brick houses to put up big ugly boxes fast enough. And I couldn't even give away my dining room set.

I keep the house between 64 and 70 in the winter and 78 in the summer. I had a big, fluffy dog until last month, so I ran a large floor fan for her in the summer and we slept in the nice, cool basement. My new dog is smaller and short-haired, so I've ordered a sweater for him.

You shouldn't run your tires until they're bald. Rain is a bigger problem than snow here, and you'll need good traction to avoid hydroplaning. You can't put plain water in your radiator, either--you need antifreeze. (I'm curious--are your research sources industry or people who drive in the snow?)

We have some glorious sunsets here. California has nothing on us in that department. Go for a walk at sunset or put up some bug netting to enjoy in the summer; mosquitoes aren't about when it's cold.

Most of the city of Indianapolis is quite suburban. The land here is prone to flooding, so buildings and hardscapes have to be spaced far enough apart for the soil to absorb water. The result, outside of downtown, is a low-density city with plenty of parking and little traffic in most areas. There are a lot of nice, middle-class suburban areas within the city limits. You need to come here and drive around.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
No one cares about tattoos anymore, outside of racist ones or something very, very odd. Fact tats, yea those are still somewhat odd, but anything else is almost normal anymore. I'm 40 and my generation, from those women I hung out with, usually got something small, in their early 20s, and usually on the ankle or lower back. Today, things are a complete 180. I went back to college and go to school with late teens and 20s somethings. Of the girls I can see, all of them, just out of high school, have tats of some kind. Arms, legs, foot, etc.. Piercings are a big deal as well. Nose, various ear, and then who knows what else. Colored hair isn't as popular, but it is definitely out there.
In certain circles, they might not matter. In a professional setting, though, you won't get a job with highly visible tattoos or non-traditional piercings.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:56 PM

160 posts, read 155,372 times
I have read through this thread with interest because I am in my 30s and moved from indiana to San Diego in 2016. I haven’t remotely looked back. But everyone is looking for something different and if your parents are in indiana and you feel slammed with the high cost of housing, then Indiana may work well for you.
If you want something like Orange County but in Indiana, then I do recommend Hamilton County. I would stick with Carmel. It’s close enough to Anderson but has a better mix of people than the rest of the county. I think you may fit better in Indianapolis. If you go visit and are looking for a pristine suburb, Carmel is hard to beat. The northern portions of Indianapolis may give you the vibe and people that most align with how you think.
Couple things about cost and affordability. Indiana is more expensive than this board or people who haven’t lived both places would lead you to believe. There are local taxes that come out of your pay check in addition to state taxes in Indiana. You will pay a minimum of 7% of your income in state and local taxes, and possibly more if there are additional locality taxes. This will especially affect you if you are making 40-50k a year, as your california tax rate is lower. The overtime rules are different in Indiana so you won’t be paid overtime in the same fashion. License plates are more expensive and benefits in general are pricier because of certain market factors making health care more expensive in Indiana.
You also may not be paid the same for an equivalent job. Whatever you make in California: 10,20, 50/ hour, it’s probably going to be less money for the equivalent job and work experience.
You can look up rents and housing prices without our help, and while it’s more affordable, it’s not like there are 500/month apartments and cheap houses where everyone wants to live. Those highly sought after places do have a premium with prices that can approach Southern California.
The weather is variable. Some years have mild winters-others have winters than are cold, dreary and never seem to end. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by ndindy; 12-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndindy View Post
Indiana is more expensive than this board or people who haven’t lived both places would lead you to believe. There are local taxes that come out of your pay check in addition to state taxes in Indiana. You will pay a minimum of 7% of your income in state and local taxes, and possibly more if there are additional locality taxes. This will especially affect you if you are making 40-50k a year, as your california tax rate is lower. The overtime rules are different in Indiana so you won’t be paid overtime in the same fashion. License plates are more expensive and benefits in general are pricier because of certain market factors making health care more expensive in Indiana.
The Indiana individual income tax rate is 3.23%. California ranges from 1% to 13.3%. Plus, lower wages mean lower income taxes in dollars.

Sales tax in Indiana is 7%. This is to offset low property taxes. Sales tax in California is 7.25%.

Renewing my plates cost just under $50.

Sources:
Indiana individual income tax rate: 2017 Indiana Individual Income Tax Rate Changes Announced - 12/14/2016 - IN.GOV
Indiana sales tax rate: https://www.in.gov/dor/4159.htm
California taxes: https://www.thebalance.com/californi...nation-3193244 and State taxes: California

Old 12-10-2017, 08:03 AM

Property taxes, Indiana vs. Orange County, CA:

My property tax this year was $650.

A house comparable to mine (similar age and square footage) in Orange County, California is around $500,000 according to Realtor.com. Property tax, according to the site below, would be:

$2,800 Orange County California Property Taxes - 2017
$3,575 https://smartasset.com/taxes/orange-...tor#1PpBSbql4R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis