U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 46,819 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in california the majoity of my life but my parents have bought a small house to retire to in the Anderson IN area and plan to do so this upcoming year. My mom really wants me to relocate to Indiana to stay close. Im considering it.

Being from CA (Orange County) I know Im different than most people in Indiana suburbs. Im an animal rights activist, vegetarian, and have lots of tattoos. This is considered acceptable and normal where I live. Im hoping that in IN even if others are not the same as me, at least some people will be open minded towards me and not stuck up and stand-offish. Im very friendly and nice and would love to make some new friends there. I usually attend church and make friends there and also when volunteering at local animal shelters.

Here in OC California its very expensive. Our minimum wage is $10 but a one bedroom apartment is $1700/month and the average home cost $700K or more. If I stay here I will most likely (as a single woman) never be able to buy a home. All the non-rich people here like single folks usually have to have roommates to get by. A big plus of IN for me is that I could eventually buy a home in a nice area for 200-300K.

The other major difference is Im used to weather in the 70s and 80s most of the year. It never snows (so I dont know how to drive in snow yet). And we have tons of beautiful beaches here all about 30 min to an hour away. I do love our beaches. I dont love our summers (days in the 90s and sometimes 100s) and even our fall can have days that are 90 degrees or high 80s... yuck. I actually would look forward to have 4 seasons and cooler weather. But I think I would miss the beach. It seems there is michigan lake about 2 1/2 hours away from IN suburbs. I would love to know more about that. In pics it looks like a popular beach spot.

What Im hoping for here is not for anyone to say yes come here or no dont come here. I know a lot of people on this site are very negative and no matter where you want to move will try to deter you from coming. I ignore those people. But what I am looking for is just input from locals about the area. The good things and the bad things about living there. Like humidity for example. And the bugs. (Bugs are not a problem where Im from). Or tornados. Would like to hear about the things we dont have or Im not used to, being from CA. Ive done some research myself and Carmel and Fishers and Noblesville is the area Im interested in, as it seems like the suburbs here. What do people do for fun there? (No hunting for me). Are their other outdoor activities people enjoy? Hiking? Parks? Lakes? Zoo? Where do single people go to meet others? What is the minimum wage or average job pay in the basic fields there? Are there any healthy resturants?

Appreciate your info on the area.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 11:23 PM

25,769 posts, read 19,146,723 times
If you want your Orange County life, but with worse weather, Hamilton County, IN is where you want to be. My ex lived in Anderson. Anderson is a town that has been on the decline for many years, and while it is an interesting place with more interesting houses than you'd probably think, I don't see it coming back significantly for at least ten years, if ever. I basically lived in Anderson half time - PM me if you want more info directly on it. I could recommend it under very specific circumstances, but it is a place where you need to drive around, know people, and know the home. It is a more complex place than the Indy suburbs.

You can get into Westfield, Fishers, and Noblesville for $200k-$300k easily. There are some new construction condos in Fishers for well under $120,000. With some compromises, you could get into Carmel in that range, especially if you're willing to settle for a townhome. There are plenty of nice townhomes in Carmel for that range.

Here is what $160,000 can get you in Fishers, although it is a bit of a "vinyl box."

https://www.trulia.com/property/1083...shers-IN-46037

Hamilton County is Republican, but it is more country club, Mitt Romney Republican than Jesus or Trumpland. I'm from east TN and moved back to my hometown, but lived in Carmel from 2014-2016. While both are heavily Republican, Hamilton County is far more normal and mainstream than where I'm at in my hometown in Tennessee.

You're probably thinking of Holland in Michigan. It is a wonderful small town on Lake Michigan. Big, sandy beaches, but Lake Michigan is never very warm. I've been to Holland probably ten times and even in late August, the water is generally low 70s. You can swim in it - if it is a hot day around 90, going from the beach to that cold lake feels good, but it's not going to be comfortable for many people most of the time. Also, Holland's big state park beach (can't remember its name now) gets swarmed on summer weekends if you don't get there before lunch.

Indiana Dunes is also a wonderful beach, though not quite as good of a summer beach as the beaches in Holland. Holland is a good three hours from Carmel, even if you just stop to get gas/restroom once or so. It's around 180 miles IIRC. Lake Monroe is a little over an hour south of Indy, about an hour and a half from most of Hamilton County. There are some areas where sand has been trucked in to make a little beach, but it's nothing like Michigan.

I'm from Tennessee, but at a much higher elevation than in Indiana. Summers in Indianapolis are a little worse than where my home is, but better than at my office, which is at a low 1200'. The office can easily be at 90, but the house can be at 80, which is out of town and at about 2000'. Indianapolis doesn't get too many 90, Florida humid type days. I never thought bugs were a problem outside the retention ponds in Hamilton County (which are very popular). I think we had one tornado warning while I was there. It was no worse than here in extreme northeast TN.

To be honest, Hamilton County, and Indianapolis in general, is weak on outdoor recreation. Carmel has a nice Central Park, with some large retention ponds, trails through the woods, wonderful outdoor waterpark, a great gym run by the county that is only bested by expensive Lifetime Fitness, etc., but it feels very manicured and artificial compared to where I am in east TN. The Monon is a good running/biking trail, but it's just a paved straightaway through some woods in some locations. There is little variation in the terrain, minimal recreational water, etc., in central IN. A lot of folks in Indy go hiking down toward Brown County, IN, which has gotten the "little Smokies" nickname. It is gently rolling land. If you are a serious outdoors person, central IN is going to be a disappointment, even with all the municipal greenways and such.

Hamilton County is very family oriented. A lot of soccer moms, kids on sports fields, etc. Carmel has tons of arts and music amenities. If you are more of an "indoors" person, it can be a great fit. If you want extreme outdoor life like some parts of CA, it won't work.

IMO, Hamilton County is one of the best values in the country for your dollar. Other than the toniest suburbs of the most major cities, which are going to cost enormously more, I doubt you can do better for a $300k home. If you wanted to get into something similar to Carmel around Nashville, you'd better pony up twice as much. All of metro Indianapolis is really a great value from wage/housing dollar perspective.

Keep in mind you can get into Carmel, which is the nicest town in Hamilton County and one of the nicest in the state (though nearby Zionsville in Boone County is smaller, feels more "small town," but is probably even more exclusive and expensive) for well under $300k. The schools are top-tier. Crime is virtually nonexistent. There are tons of options in downtown Carmel for performing arts and similar. There is excellent dining within Hamilton County without needing to go back to Indianapolis. Other than Costco, it was rare I needed to shop in Indianapolis proper.

I'd give it a visit. If I had a family or ties to the area, I'd definitely move back. I miss Carmel a lot, and my daily quality of life was definitely higher there than in Tennessee.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:27 AM

2,715 posts, read 1,625,136 times
I'm in the same boat but I live in Northern California. I think that Indy, or the midwest for that matter, will see a huge influx of California residents moving out there.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:43 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,293,078 times
Who the heck talked your parents into moving to ANDERSON???
Being on the south side of Indianapolis I get sick and tired of everyone on these boards insisting that Hamilton County is the ONLY place to live. But, in the case of someone moving from OC (I visit friends in Newport Beach), I'll make an exception.
Most people in Indiana will tell you "find a church you like" to meet new people.
Check out "meetup.com" in search of people with the same interests as yours. Maybe you could start a new group for California expats if 49fan is correct that there may be an influx. 49fan, this made my laugh because my older brother used to tell me how "the retirees are going to find Youngstown Ohio. It's sooo cheap to live here". I explained to him that health care is a priority for retirees. Unfortunately, he found out how correct I was when his health turned to crap.
The first snow we have find a huge parking lot and go out and get a feel for it and read up or YouTube how to drive on it. And remember, you can drive on snow but NOT ice.
When it gets cold dress in layers. Layer up when it gets colder and you can take off a layer at a time if things warm up. I worked outside my adult life.
Best of luck and a warm Hoosier Hospitality type welcome.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:44 PM

1,372 posts, read 698,722 times
We had another poster remarkably similar to you, OP. You should read their thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/india...ca-carmel.html

Old 10-08-2017, 03:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 698,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I'm in the same boat but I live in Northern California. I think that Indy, or the midwest for that matter, will see a huge influx of California residents moving out there.
I only know one California transplant, and can't remember the last time I saw a California license plate (really, any plate from west of the Mississippi). The transplants are mostly from Illinois and Ohio, and I see a surprising number of New York plates here.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:18 PM

3,215 posts, read 2,365,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Who the heck talked your parents into moving to ANDERSON???.
Lots of people moved to Anderson for the jobs. Delco Remy and Guide Lamp had some of the highest paying blue collar factory jobs in Indiana and most of the country. Anderson use to be a thriving and prosperous and growing smaller mid-sized town. The jobs in Anderson paid more than they did in the other Indianapolis satellite cities, except for Kokomo. In 1970, Anderson went over 70,000 and passed both Muncie and Terre Haute in population.

It was 1974 when the big decline of the Rust Belt towns began. I do believe Anderson will make a come back, given its conveniently close location to Indianapolis and Fishers. But it won't be the factory town that it once was. Its gonna need to revent itself. Reinvention will take some real clever creativity, given the fact that not too many people move to Central Indiana for the weather, the scenery or the outdoor recreation. Reinvention will be a challenge, but if the people of Anderson have the determination, and the know-how, it can be done.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,293,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Lots of people moved to Anderson for the jobs. Delco Remy and Guide Lamp had some of the highest paying blue collar factory jobs in Indiana and most of the country. Anderson use to be a thriving and prosperous and growing smaller mid-sized town. The jobs in Anderson paid more than they did in the other Indianapolis satellite cities, except for Kokomo. In 1970, Anderson went over 70,000 and passed both Muncie and Terre Haute in population.

It was 1974 when the big decline of the Rust Belt towns began. I do believe Anderson will make a come back, given its conveniently close location to Indianapolis and Fishers. But it won't be the factory town that it once was. Its gonna need to revent itself. Reinvention will take some real clever creativity, given the fact that not too many people move to Central Indiana for the weather, the scenery or the outdoor recreation. Reinvention will be a challenge, but if the people of Anderson have the determination, and the know-how, it can be done.
I relate to what you are saying. I relocated from the Pittsburgh area to Kokomo just before all the steel mills closed.
I haven't been to Anderson in years. I have no idea what shape the town is in but I do know I see an awful lot of negative news about it on the nightly news.
I do hope you are right and they can bounce back. With the expansion of Fishers being what it is Anderson gets closer and closer to Indy for anyone working on it's north side.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 46,819 times
@ serious conversation- I appreciate all the feedback. I normally vote rupublican except for this last election, in which I didnt vote at all because I disliked both parties. You mentioned that lake michigan is in the low 70s (like thats a bad thing) but I actually prefer that. 65 degrees is ideal for me. I dont need water to swim in. I usually just sit at the beach or walk along the beach. Im there to enjoy the view and maybe put my feet in.

@49erfan916 If for whatever readon I decided to stay in cali and not go to indy, norcal is where I would want to be. Yes we have the warm beaches and san deigo zoo and disneyland here, but I get so sick of 80 and 90 degree days. I like San Fran weather much better. Lake Tahoe would be an amazing place to live, but its out of my budget. And you have Yosemite!

@hapaleeretired No one convinced them to move there. My stepfather grew up there and his whole family lives there and he owns a very cheap house there. Yes you cant compare to Cali but living here on social security... with these rent prices.. what a joke. Anderson (compared to Carmel/indy) does not seem to have much going for it just from what Ive researched, as far as jobs and shopping goes. But Im leaning toward Fishers. I know Carmel is supposed to be the "best" but that makes me worry too many people will be stuck up. I get sick of the very fake and snobby folks here in "the real OC"

Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 AM

25,769 posts, read 19,146,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliraiderette View Post
@ serious conversation- I appreciate all the feedback. I normally vote rupublican except for this last election, in which I didnt vote at all because I disliked both parties. You mentioned that lake michigan is in the low 70s (like thats a bad thing) but I actually prefer that. 65 degrees is ideal for me. I dont need water to swim in. I usually just sit at the beach or walk along the beach. Im there to enjoy the view and maybe put my feet in.

@49erfan916 If for whatever readon I decided to stay in cali and not go to indy, norcal is where I would want to be. Yes we have the warm beaches and san deigo zoo and disneyland here, but I get so sick of 80 and 90 degree days. I like San Fran weather much better. Lake Tahoe would be an amazing place to live, but its out of my budget. And you have Yosemite!

@hapaleeretired No one convinced them to move there. My stepfather grew up there and his whole family lives there and he owns a very cheap house there. Yes you cant compare to Cali but living here on social security... with these rent prices.. what a joke. Anderson (compared to Carmel/indy) does not seem to have much going for it just from what Ive researched, as far as jobs and shopping goes. But Im leaning toward Fishers. I know Carmel is supposed to be the "best" but that makes me worry too many people will be stuck up. I get sick of the very fake and snobby folks here in "the real OC"
If you just like to be on the beach, it's perfectly fine.

If he grew up in Anderson and hasn't been back in many years, he might have a bit of a rude awakening. The town hasn't been taken care of - a lot of boarded homes/businesses, etc. I'm not as down on it as other people - it is not unsafe, it has a Meijer/Walmart/Kroger, a small mall (but it's hanging on by a thread), a couple of really good local dining options (Lemon Drop/Nile come to mind), Lowe's, etc. Yes, you will be driving back to Indy for work (if you work), but it isn't a terrible drive and Anderson is much cheaper and far less congested than the Indy suburbs. I think it will eventually recover because of its proximity to Indy. Muncie and Kokomo are farther away.

Many Carmel residents have a tendency to be snooty. It took me awhile to find a social group there. It's also far more geared toward families and even older singles 50+. It is also more exclusive, while places like Fishers and Westfield are more accessible.

Are you moving with a spouse or anything? About how old are you? I was 28-30 when I lived there, and while Carmel really does have a lot to offer for a suburb, living in the city would provide more options without having to drive back into town. Fishers and Westfield offers notably less on the cultural/things to do front than Carmel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or