Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 12:18 PM

25 posts, read 25,690 times

Advertisements

We purchased a home in the Franklin Township area and are moving this week!

Since my husband moved in April, we’ve been on the hunt fo the best grocery stores and meat markets, etc..

There’s a Kroger less than a mile from the new home so I’ll probably use it the most. However, I’d love to know the best grocery store and where it is in the metro. We have amazing grocery stores here but I go to one for the meat, another for the BOGO sales, and another yet because they have happy hours and you can buy beer and shop with a pint.

Any cool places that have the best meat, seafood, produce, sales, etc? Love all feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 01:27 PM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times
I think there is a Meijers in Greenwood. There is also an Aldi's and a Costco. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, we're new as well.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:18 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
First, I dont like Walmart but there is a huge one at I65 and County Line Road. Across the street is one of the newest Kroger Superstores. At I65 and Southport is a huge superstore Meijer which is our weekly shopping spot. Get a membership to MPerks and get a lot of benefits.

There is a Meijer on Washington on the East side which carries the same stuff. Also a Walmart.

Costco is at County Line Road and Emerson about a couple of blocks from the first mentioned Walmart. The other two Costco stores are on the north side.

Whole Foods is only on the north side but they are planning one downtown.

Market District sounds like a place you would like but they only have one location in Carmel on the northside. Trader Joe is on the east on 82nd Street and west on 86th street. I consider that the north side.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:38 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
If you're asking for the best general grocery store, that Kroger on Thompson Road is about as good as it gets in South Indy. Saraga is a good option if you're asking for more of a specialty place. We've bought lamb there before, they hack the meat off the carcass right there in store.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:52 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Market District in Carmel is my favorite, but that's about an hour drive from the Southside.

Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
If you want the best of the best, probably the remodeled “Krogucci” in Carmel. Fresh Thyme is amazing as well. Compared to many other areas, Indianapolis has great grocery options,

Old 11-26-2017, 05:24 PM

25 posts, read 25,690 times
I went to the Kroger at Franklin and Southport and YES!! I love it. It really is as good as it gets. I know the laws are different here so I don’t expect a beer and wine bar in the grocery stores here - that would make that particular Kroger a dream come true. I will have to check the butcher shop you mentioned as sometimes I like buying specialty meats or a whole tenderloin or rib rack and cutting my own. The butcher at the Kroger was awesome and knowledgeable on their pork cuts though. Got a shoulder from them already.

We also hit Costco and it’s really nice. Sometimes we will get meats there as well.

When my husband had an apartment at Southern Dunes off 37, the Kroger there was totally different than this one, and we went to the Meijer way down Meridian and their produce was great. There is a Meijer near here but I’m pleased with the Kroger produce. The one thing I need to learn is the big sales. The Publix back home had big BOGO sales and you could count on certain items to go BOGo - like 8 o’clock or New England coffee would go BOGo every quarter, and A-1 went BOGo 1x a year but the limit was 8 - lasts a year. I always stocked up.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Best Butcher shop is Joe Butcher shop in Carmel

Old 11-30-2017, 07:49 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&RExpress View Post
The one thing I need to learn is the big sales.
Because Kroger dominates the local grocery scene, you should know that they don't do double coupons or BOGO sales. Typically it's a reduced price if you buy 5 or 10 of certain items. That's when I stock up at Kroger.

Fresh Thyme has double sale Thursdays if there is one nearby. On Thursdays the ad prices from the previous week and the new week are in effect. Since one opened in Bloomington I've visited several times on Thursdays. I like their store made sausages, bacon, and coffee beans, but the meat I've purchased there has not been great.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:33 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Welcome to Indy.
The following do not have big sales but they have good product.
Claus' German Sausage and Meat Market https://www.yelp.com/biz/mikes-midwa...t-indianapolis
https://www.yelp.com/biz/hamptons-market-greenwood
And here is something else for you to look at (responding to a concern you listed on another thread): https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...n+ice+and+snow

Last edited by hapaleeretired; 12-03-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis