Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 08:45 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,050,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Sitting here in SoCal and (somewhat) lamenting our sunny and 75-degree+ weather in late December, I've been reading about the record-breaking cold weather in other parts of the country. I've also been checking my weather app from time to time for the Indy area...and BRRRRRR, it sure sounds cold to me!

So, I'm wondering, how have you been managing with the cold weather? Is it really *that* cold (unusually so, in your experience, for this time of year)? What changes do you make in your day-to-day lives when it gets this cold? What do families with kids do ... and what can't you do ... when it gets super cold? Is it the cold, or is it the wind that's more of a problem? How do you dress to go out?
I've lived here all my life. In my younger years I actually enjoyed the cold, but sometimes I think maybe I enjoyed the solace that came with it. It seems less people out shopping, less people walking around campus, etc.. Another thing was that I was always hot in my late teens and into my 20s. I never felt the cold was that bad. I also wasn't big into physical activity back in those days, nor the heat of the summer (because I always got hot). For some reason, I seemed to do a 180 starting in my early to mid-30s. I started getting into shape. I had to do yard work since I had a home, so I learned to embrace working outside (usually wore a hat and sunscreen).

My biggest issue with the extreme cold is that I can get pretty dry skin on my hands. In weather like this, if I don't stay inside or constantly use lotion, my hands will crack and bleed. It can be painful. This has only gotten worse since I lost what little body fat I used to have. As far as dress, I sometimes work outside. That means extreme temp clothing. For me, since I'm still more hot than cold, just basic thermal base-layers work well for me. My coat I just purchased isn't for these temps, but for running out shopping, dining, etc., it is fine with just a sweater on underneath. If I was going to the outdoor downtown NYE event tonight, I'd either have to wear a thermal base-layer or get a jacket designed for this cold of weather.

This weather is almost too cold to do anything. You would likely have to fully cover all exposed skin. I had to work outside for about one hour two evenings ago. I forgot to double up my socks and my shoes aren't insulated foot-ware. My extremities were freezing (toes, fingers) as I didn't have the proper clothing. After I put on another pair of socks over my thermal socks, my feet were fine. My lips though, they started to suffer as well. Not really getting chapped, just almost hard to talk. Would have to almost wear a mask in temps this cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The level of cold going on now is very unusual for Indy. I lived there for three years and rarely, if ever, saw it get this cold before January. And this pattern seems locked in.

Where I am in Tennessee is just as cold as Carmel now, largely due to higher elevation, but we will reach in the mid to upper 30s tomorrow.
I've been checking temps in areas I have an interest in possibly relocating to in the future. Many parts of the country are just really cold, but 30s is much better than single digits. I never remember it getting this cold during my teens and even in my 20s. We had some extreme temps maybe three or four years ago. I do remember that there was usually one, maybe two weeks (if that, maybe more like a couple of days here, then a couple of days a few weeks later) were temps would get this cold. This lingering cold though, I just don't remember it lasting for days on end. If I recall though, when the Colts won the Superbowl, it was freezing here. I remember seeing everyone come out of the bars downtown celebrating and I knew they had to be likely drunk because they weren't wearing hats, gloves, etc. and it was just so cold. Just looked it up. Day temps were -0.9 to 19. I think mostly the weather just cycles. Someone posted about a time frame decades ago where temps lingered below freezing for a while. An older former co-worker said that as a kid, it would get so cold here and stay cold that it was normal for many people to go ice skating on various ponds and what not.

For me, the worst thing about extreme cold is when it snows a lot, never really clears, then the temps drop. The ice melt chemicals/salt can't work once it gets too cold. Plus if there is minimal traffic, the roads never really get cleared until it warms up. In two decades of taking the interstate into and out of downtown Indy, the road was the worse when we had that super freeze a few years back. It snowed with somewhat more moderate temps, but then the temps dropped drastically for a few days. The roads were horrible, speed was about 10-15. There was nothing that could be done except wait for the warm-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 01:28 AM

588 posts, read 460,577 times
I live in Fishers Indiana and right now it is -1 degree and supposed to dip to -16 degree.

I have every blanket I own draped over the couches in my living room due to the fact that this apartment has NO insulation.

I am grateful that I am off for winter break being a substitute teacher.

Its not too bad.

I feel sorry for my dog though. Her little paws get so cold having to go pee poo in the snow. I carry her down and when she is done I pick her up and carry her back in side. She is about 20 pds so it isn't too bad.

That has got to be the worst. Pooping in freezing weather. Outside. Sucks for her.

Going to try to get to the store tomorrow. I have a new battery so that is not an issue. Snow fell again after I cleaned the car so I will be doing that again. I just hope my car door locks are not frozen. I may have to warm my key to get it to open.'''

Used to live in Colorado and have the boots, double socks, thermal lined coat, layers and layers, a beany hat and scarf with gloves. After 20 minutes in this stuff your fingers begin to frost bite.

I saw a man the other day with only a short black leather jacket on. No hat gloves etc.
Just plain stupid to not take this cold seriously.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
My biggest issue with the extreme cold is that I can get pretty dry skin on my hands. In weather like this, if I don't stay inside or constantly use lotion, my hands will crack and bleed. It can be painful. This has only gotten worse since I lost what little body fat I used to have. As far as dress, I sometimes work outside. That means extreme temp clothing. For me, since I'm still more hot than cold, just basic thermal base-layers work well for me. My coat I just purchased isn't for these temps, but for running out shopping, dining, etc., it is fine with just a sweater on underneath. If I was going to the outdoor downtown NYE event tonight, I'd either have to wear a thermal base-layer or get a jacket designed for this cold of weather.
Oh, yes, the dryness is one of my biggest complaints with the cold. It isn't just hands getting dry and cracked, but so much static builds up when you just move a little bit because the air is so dry. We run humidifiers in the bedrooms but it doesn't help that much plus they're cold mist so it just makes the bedrooms colder.

Fortunately, while the last couple of days have been unusually cold, it has been sunny, which has helped warm our house a bit during the day.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:19 AM

1,441 posts, read 1,114,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
My biggest issue with the extreme cold is that I can get pretty dry skin on my hands. In weather like this, if I don't stay inside or constantly use lotion, my hands will crack and bleed.
I get the same here in Southern California pretty much year-round, especially when our humidity drops or I've been doing a lot of extra dishes, etc. I can't live without this stuff: Cetaphil Restoraderm Eczema Calming Body Moisturizer.

Use it *every time* immediately after you wash your hands (or, in extreme cases, even after getting your hands wet). By "immediately," I mean dry your hands lightly, and use this before all the moisture has evaporated. No smell, isn't greasy, and heals up the cracks and keeps them at bay if you use it as I've recommended.

Too expensive for me to use all-over, so I just keep this as my hand lotion. I can only find it at Amazon and I "subscribe & save" it.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,529,342 times
The temperature outside my door in Austin this morning was a bone-chilling, bitterly cold 28 degrees. I compensated by wearing my brand new winter jacket and a pair of camouflage shorts, along with shoes and socks. Fortunately my legs don't get cold like my upper body does. I'll be glad when this cold weather is gone.

Usually, if it's zero degrees in Indianapolis, most likely it will be in the high 20's or low 30's in Austin. Usually the temperature will rise above freezing by afternoon. If it's zero degrees in Indy, it's most likely cold all across the South, except for South Florida and the RGV in far South Texas.

Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,223,174 times
Winter months, I typically keep a can of lock de-icer in my purse just in case. I've never had to use it, but it's there. I also try to keep my car gas tank at least 1/2 full in winter months. I can't remember why my father told me to do this as a teenager, probably something with freezing or condensation on old cars, and also just in case I'm stranded or there is bad traffic/accident causing delays/snowy weather.

Keeping the blinds and draperies closed UNLESS the sun is in that spot. It keeps out some of the chill. Using extra blankets, eating lots of soup, lots of hot tea, wearing wool socks and sweaters, using the whole house humidifier, and staying inside as much as possible. I'm also working upstairs instead of in my first floor home office--heat rises and it just feels a little warmer to me. Our driveway is about 250 feet long so today I'll drive to the mail box. It will force me to run the car for a few minutes and keep me warmer

We don't turn our heat down at night with these temps. It's not generally recommended with a geo-thermal system.

Last edited by rrah; 01-02-2018 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 08:07 AM

891 posts, read 2,439,579 times
amazing how warm 10degrees can feel today after the past couple of days.

Overall the cold doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is the tons and tons of salt they put down on the roads

Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,059,682 times
I was in Cali and now back home in Miami so was fortunate to avoid most of the cold and no flight delays.

But thinking of all of you in these extreme conditions. Hope you all can stay warm and safe!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:06 AM

44 posts, read 50,423 times
Its not to big of a deal. As others have mentioned you need to a few small things to prepare your car for winter but keep in mind your car and home plus every public building has heat so unless you have to work outside in it for a long time its doesn't really bother you.
Remote Start on your car makes it much easier though as your engine will be warmed up when you get in.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,091,134 times
I haven't driven any where since two days before Christmas (I am retired.). I've been turning on a couple faucets and letting warm and cold water trickle. I start and let my car run for about 35 minutes every day or so. I leave the cabinets under the sinks open. I've been keeping my house about 68°. I am really looking forward to next week's warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis