Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:44 AM

918 posts, read 1,691,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Hurricanes don't hit the west coast! They travel west and hit eastern facing coasts and southern because of the earths rotation. WOw. I quit reading the rest of your post after reading that. LOL.
Wasn't the point being made ? I think he's saying that West coast is a much more favorable place for business and the only reason there are businesses in older East population enclaves is because that's where countries first cities were founded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM

4,399 posts, read 2,894,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Wasn't the point being made ? I think he's saying that West coast is a much more favorable place for business and the only reason there are businesses in older East population enclaves is because that's where countries first cities were founded.
Well if that was the point it is a horrible LOL point.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,060,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
At least someone can read. The west coast has very low hurricane risk compared to the east coast. Plus, huge snow storms can strike New England and even DC more often than almost anywhere on the West Coast. Business risk and continuity are new issues that companies look at. Weather is part of that, though it doesn't mean it would be anywhere near a deciding factor in certain cases. I personally think most people like more moderate to warm/hot weather overall, and thus I pick either Nashville or Raleigh as the winner in the moderate category with Texas in the warm/hot category.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:30 AM

41 posts, read 75,160 times
FedEx's announcement that it is spending $1.5 Billion to expand and improve its Indpls air freight hub is a very big deal. Distribution and logistics is huge for Amazon. Indy is very good at that and getting better. Our central location with interstates going in 7 directions (soon to be 8) is also excellent for a company very interested in moving billions of products around the US and the world as quickly as possible.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,266,537 times
I think the State legislators killed Indianapolis's chances this week by failing to pass a hate crimes bill. IN is one of only 5 states without a hate crimes law. It says a lot about the culture of the state, and that culture is the "opposite" of what Amazon is looking at.

In the original RFP, and I'm sure this continues to be important to Amazon, one of the criteria is, a "cultural community fit" that indicates that Amazon wants the "presence and support of a diverse population." It cannot just be at a city level. It needs to be at a state level because state laws impact local issues.

Indianapolis stands up well when it comes to transportation, business climate, COL, but so do other cities. The state, and by extension, Indianapolis, doesn't meet that "cultural community fit" criteria and have a history of not supporting diversity.

Recall what happened after the RFRA nightmare. Amazon is well aware of that and this current backwards move by the State legislators.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:38 AM

8,952 posts, read 17,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I think the State legislators killed Indianapolis's chances this week by failing to pass a hate crimes bill. IN is one of only 5 states without a hate crimes law. It says a lot about the culture of the state, and that culture is the "opposite" of what Amazon is looking at.

In the original RFP, and I'm sure this continues to be important to Amazon, one of the criteria is, a "cultural community fit" that indicates that Amazon wants the "presence and support of a diverse population." It cannot just be at a city level. It needs to be at a state level because state laws impact local issues.

Indianapolis stands up well when it comes to transportation, business climate, COL, but so do other cities. The state, and by extension, Indianapolis, doesn't meet that "cultural community fit" criteria and have a history of not supporting diversity.

Recall what happened after the RFRA nightmare. Amazon is well aware of that and this current backwards move by the State legislators.
Curious to know why Indianapolis being in Indiana is any more of a penalty than Nashville in Tennessee, Atlanta in Georgia, Austin in Texas, or Raleigh in North Carolina. For example, North Carolina has had similarly divisive social law issues that has prompted boycotts. To date, Raleigh is thought of as a favorite for Amazon and North Carolina still has those laws.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 AM

34,882 posts, read 30,997,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Curious to know why Indianapolis being in Indiana is any more of a penalty than Nashville in Tennessee, Atlanta in Georgia, Austin in Texas, or Raleigh in North Carolina. For example, North Carolina has had similarly divisive social law issues that has prompted boycotts. To date, Raleigh is thought of as a favorite for Amazon and North Carolina still has those laws.
Honestly, I don't know how Nashville made the list, other than its current status as a "hot" city and Tennessee's low taxes.

I'd rank Indy's "regional" university base as better than Nashville. Purdue is a great engineering school. IUPUI is huge and right downtown. IU is a little more than an hour away. Notre Dame, Louisville, and some more Big Ten schools are within a few hours. That's not even counting "home grown" schools like Marian and Butler.

Nashville has Vanderbilt and Tennessee Tech close by, but Purdue is a lot better than TN Tech. UT-Knoxville is 2.5 hours away. Other than that, you have a string of small private colleges like Belmont and Davidson, and MTSU.

I don't see where Nashville tops Indy at all in that regard.

Compensation may be a factor. I had several offers in Nashville when I lived in Indy. Most came in at two-thirds or less of what I was making in Indy. I know people doing well in Nashville, but my experience is that pay there lags behind the Midwest.

Indy is easier to get around, much cheaper to build in, probably more land to build on, etc. I'd also argue that outside of Nashville proper, Tennessee is far more conservative than Indiana or North Carolina.

Raleigh is a well-known tech hub, and close to the coast, has excellent universities, and is close to the Acela corridor at a more reasonable price. I think it was a shoo-in for the finalist list from the start.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 PM

4,399 posts, read 2,894,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
FedEx's announcement that it is spending $1.5 Billion to expand and improve its Indpls air freight hub is a very big deal. Distribution and logistics is huge for Amazon. Indy is very good at that and getting better. Our central location with interstates going in 7 directions (soon to be 8) is also excellent for a company very interested in moving billions of products around the US and the world as quickly as possible.
They aren't building a warehouse! We already have one of those in Plainfield! It is called a corporate office where people sit at a desk all day. It's not a shipping center. Duh!

Old 02-02-2018, 06:15 AM

4,969 posts, read 6,241,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
They aren't building a warehouse! We already have one of those in Plainfield! It is called a corporate office where people sit at a desk all day. It's not a shipping center. Duh!
2, actually. There's one in Whitestown as well.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:19 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,748,734 times
Being a World HQ2 means a LOT more than "people sitting at a desk all day". It means that vendors, contractors and employees will be traveling to and from it. Perhaps this would make more sense to have one on the east coast as there is already one on he west coast. Were it to be a singular World HQ Indy would be a better centrally located choice IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis