Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:28 PM

918 posts, read 1,689,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Going by a county-level map of the last presidential election, it looks like most areas outside large cities are red. Amazon would have to go to LA or the Northeast to be in a sea of blue.

LA's not really it either. San Diego is pretty red and so is all of the "inland empire".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:09 AM

1,708 posts, read 3,054,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Indianapolis is the economic engine of the state. I never understood why the rest of the state tries to interfere in Indianapolis politics. Why would should people outside of Marion County play a hand in determining the fate of local policy?
Because those same people inside Marion County have wanted to tax those who live outside for what would likely be mostly a benefit for those inside Marion County. Regional taxation for numerous things have been floated in recent years. I think some residents of the surrounding counties go to the state for protection when they think their county and local politicians aren't following the will of the majority (sometimes a vast majority). People say "Throw them out when they are up for re-election." but that could take years. A recent example is the votes in Henry County concerning windmills where those who are in positions of power are either directly in line to benefit (ie: They own large acreage and want to lease to power companies) or their friends/family/employer will benefit. I guess the state level politicians for that area were looking at the issue given the clear conflict of interests that were coming up.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:22 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,897,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Because those same people inside Marion County have wanted to tax those who live outside for what would likely be mostly a benefit for those inside Marion County. Regional taxation for numerous things have been floated in recent years. I think some residents of the surrounding counties go to the state for protection when they think their county and local politicians aren't following the will of the majority (sometimes a vast majority). People say "Throw them out when they are up for re-election." but that could take years. A recent example is the votes in Henry County concerning windmills where those who are in positions of power are either directly in line to benefit (ie: They own large acreage and want to lease to power companies) or their friends/family/employer will benefit. I guess the state level politicians for that area were looking at the issue given the clear conflict of interests that were coming up.

Individuals who live outside the area but travel there for employment purposes should be levied a commuter tax. It is only fair. They contribute heavily to the congestion and wear and tear of the roads while providing absolutely nothing in the form of its upkeep.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM

34,847 posts, read 30,922,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree with this. Nashville is in TN and TN is super conservative outside of the cities, it does not effect us and same with Indy.
Exactly.

You also have to remember Indiana did go for Obama in 2008. The majority of Hoosiers I know, even Republicans, are not as forthcoming with their beliefs as conservative Southern Republicans. They're not as in your face with it.

Personally, I don't think Indiana is anywhere nearly as conservative overall as Tennessee. North Carolina is growing better than Tennessee (Tennessee's growth is basically around Nashville. Everywhere else is basically in neutral or going backward) overall, is more progressive, and has better access to the East Coast markets.

I still think this will end up in Atlanta or the DC area.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,860,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly.

You also have to remember Indiana did go for Obama in 2008. The majority of Hoosiers I know, even Republicans, are not as forthcoming with their beliefs as conservative Southern Republicans. They're not as in your face with it.

Personally, I don't think Indiana is anywhere nearly as conservative overall as Tennessee. North Carolina is growing better than Tennessee (Tennessee's growth is basically around Nashville. Everywhere else is basically in neutral or going backward) overall, is more progressive, and has better access to the East Coast markets.

I still think this will end up in Atlanta or the DC area.
I am pretty liberal socially but I don't mind conservative people except the ignorant people who hate gays and minorities for no reasons because I am religious and spiritual and I can see how they have been corrupted by the church. I am conservative on some issues but overall pretty liberal.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,745,267 times
There has been a lot of flap here and finger pointing and accusations that either this or that will sway the decision making of Amazon as to whether it wants to HQ here especially about lack of a hate crime law and such. But, if anyone at Amazon or anybody else in their right mind were to watch one local news report showing the deplorable conditions of the roads in Marion County Indiana it would be the END to any possibility of ANYONE moving here unless they were a huge paving company with a multi million dollar contract.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:23 PM

16 posts, read 17,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
There has been a lot of flap here and finger pointing and accusations that either this or that will sway the decision making of Amazon as to whether it wants to HQ here especially about lack of a hate crime law and such. But, if anyone at Amazon or anybody else in their right mind were to watch one local news report showing the deplorable conditions of the roads in Marion County Indiana it would be the END to any possibility of ANYONE moving here unless they were a huge paving company with a multi million dollar contract.
Wrong: https://www.infrastructurereportcard...-item/indiana/
The American Society of Civil Engineer's latest report card says 8% of Indiana's roads are in poor condition.
Compare that to 21% of Michigan's roads being poor, 18% of Illinois's roads, 17% for Ohio and 27% for Wisconsin.
The opinion of experts always is more valuable than the opinion of some hyper-emotional average Joe on the street.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:49 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,806,671 times
I’ve worked downtown in Lockerbie for ten years. Last month our company relocated to an office building in Carmel. Although I liked working in downtown Indy I am much happier now that I don’t have to drive on those horrible crumbling streets. I have never seen worse potholes.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:06 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,745,267 times
While 8% of INDIANA roads are in poor shape.........what percentage of Marion County Streets are in poor shape?
I am not an expert but don't consider myself to be a "hyper-emotional" Joe.
Welcome to Indiana. I too am a transplant and love it here.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,330,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoIndytransplant View Post
Wrong: https://www.infrastructurereportcard...-item/indiana/
The American Society of Civil Engineer's latest report card says 8% of Indiana's roads are in poor condition.
Compare that to 21% of Michigan's roads being poor, 18% of Illinois's roads, 17% for Ohio and 27% for Wisconsin.
The opinion of experts always is more valuable than the opinion of some hyper-emotional average Joe on the street.
Here are reported potholes from average Joes who took the time to report them.

Indy Pothole Viewer

Personally, I've altered my route to and from work to avoid damaging my car. Sixteenth Street east of Sherman is a mess, Allisonville Road is getting worse by the day, and so is East 56th. Forget about driving in the right hand lane of Kessler without a Jeep. And they're not as bad as some of the roads that are scheduled to be repaved this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis