Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Probably no one who was serious. Getting on the list is recognition. Some other projects may come from the recognition and notoriety.
Well, evidently not everyone is capable of serious conversation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 01:39 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times

Cities That Lost Amazon's HQ2 Contest Can Still End Up

Old 11-15-2018, 05:13 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Where are all the homers posting on here months ago saying Indy would get it and it would never go to the east coast. The cost of living is too high!
Getting drunk and posting to forums on places where they don't live.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:30 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,617,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Did anybody actually predict that Indy would get it ?
I predicted it. 5th post in this thread. I was betting on a long shot. My prediction was wrong but I thought I gave good reasons to vote for Indianapolis.

True to form, when I'm wrong I'm the 1st to admit it.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-16-2018 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Getting drunk and posting to forums on places where they don't live.
Not me. I haven't had so much of a sip of alcohol since May 1, 1997. I have never lived in Indianapolis but I have lived in Indiana and graduated high school there and I still like to give my opinion when ever I feel like it. I understand some Hoosiers may not like it that I give my opinion in this forum, but that's not my problem. I've never been rude, insulting or made it personal by accusing another poster of posting while drunk to city forums they don't live. It's too bad we all can't say the same thing.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Not me. I haven't had so much of a sip of alcohol since May 1, 1997. I have never lived in Indianapolis but I have lived in Indiana and graduated high school there and I still like to give my opinion when ever I feel like it. I understand some Hoosiers may not like it that I give my opinion in this forum, but that's not my problem. I've never been rude, insulting or made it personal by accusing another poster of posting while drunk to city forums they don't live. It's too bad we all can't say the same thing.
It was a joke, and I wasn't thinking about you when I made it.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:39 AM

^^^^^....Don't pay me no mind. I ain't worrying about it.

I think Jeff Bezos and Amazon played all those other 18 cities to amp up the tax breaks they would be getting from New York and Arlington, Virginia. Seems strange they would pick the 2 most expensive metros on the list and the 2 metros that need it the least. I think they knew all along which 2 cities they were going to pick, even before they announced to the public Amazon was planning to open 2HQ's. The more I think about, the more I become convinced of it.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:55 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
^^^^^....Don't pay me no mind. I ain't worrying about it.

I think Jeff Bezos and Amazon played all those other 18 cities to amp up the tax breaks they would be getting from New York and Arlington, Virginia. Seems strange they would pick the 2 most expensive metros on the list and the 2 metros that need it the least. I think they knew all along which 2 cities they were going to pick, even before they announced to the public Amazon was planning to open 2HQ's. The more I think about, the more I become convinced of it.
Other than Dallas or Atlanta, I don't know how many noncoastal cities it could have possibly been.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
I think they knew all along which 2 cities they were going to pick, even before they announced to the public Amazon was planning to open 2HQ's.
I think it is fair to say they had in mind some favorites. A big tell was including multiple DC area sites in the top 20. I don't think there are a lot of tears being shed about losing HQ2. Most of the disappointment I have heard in local business circles is losing the ops center to Nashville. That would have been one hell of a consolation prize.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Other than Dallas or Atlanta, I don't know how many noncoastal cities it could have possibly been.
Not only Dallas and Atlanta, but Denver, Austin, Chicago, Minneapolis, and Pittsburgh.

Nashville did get a nice consolation prize, though, 5000 corporate jobs averaging $140,000 a year. Congratulations to Nashville. I think it cost Nashville and Tennessee alot of money to win that consolation prize. Time will tell if it was well worth the sacrifices. As quickly as things change in this high information age, I think alot of these tech giants that have rose to prominence and dominance in the last 10 years or so, are liable to fizzle out just as quickly as they came on to the scene. They have not proven they have longevity.

I don't wanna hijack the thread, so, I'll just say that I think the Amazon/Jeff Bezo decision was as much of a political decision as it was a business decision, if not more so, and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis