U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM

10 posts, read 9,503 times

Advertisements

my husband and i bought a condo downtown Carmel 2 years ago- hate it! ok, maybe it isn't so much Carmel, but more so Indiana that I hate. there is nothing to do here! i am in walking distance of main street, the city center, palladium, monon, etc. and i still feel like there is nothing to do. anyone else feel this way? maybe it is just the winter blues...

Old 03-13-2018, 07:49 AM

1,083 posts, read 488,343 times
What exactly do you want to do?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 9,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
What exactly do you want to do?
do things outside.. hike, downhill ski, cross country ski, water skii, be at the beach

indiana just does not have much to offer

Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,597,800 times
There are big biking groups all over Indiana and some terrific biking trails. Get a dog and get involved in training. There are parks and places outside but maybe not at your backdoor. You did move right into the middle of a huge suburban area. Eagle Creek is a great area.

Anyone looking at a map and the weather guide should know the weather and the topography does not allow for much of what you seem to want.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,597,800 times
You are moving to Florida so why complain about IN? There is plenty to do but you have to find it. Great biking groups all over with a lot of activity. Eagle Creek is a great place. You bought a condo right in the middle of a huge suburban area and did not look at a map?

Hope you find what you want in FL.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:19 AM

4,164 posts, read 4,612,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspottsxx View Post
do things outside.. hike, downhill ski, cross country ski, water skii, be at the beach

Did you know anything about Indiana before you moved here?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,580 posts, read 3,687,532 times
Quote:

If youíre moving to Florida thereís a fair amount of stuff in that list you wonít be able to do there, either.

Water ski and be at the beach are about it. Unless you like sweating your brains out, hiking isnít exactly something I would be doing in Florida. Also, being at the beach is questionable based on where you would be living. East coast/west (Gulf) coast, theyíre very different, and in many areas there arenít even decent beaches.

I felt the same way when I first moved to Wisconsin, then I got involved with the locals and found out there were millions of (fun) things to do year round. Itís all what you make of it.

RM

Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,135,725 times
Quote:

Indiana is in the Midwest so there's not gonna be as many outdoor activities as there might be in the South, the Northeast, the Rocky Mountain states, and the Pacific Coast.

What were you expecting when you moved to Indiana? Most people don't move to Indiana for the climate or the scenery. If they did, there would be a whole lot more folks moving to Indiana, and the cost of living would sky rocket. Most people move to Indiana for a job or if they have family that already lives there.

But, there are some places in Indiana where you can partake in most of the activities you enjoy and mentioned.

Lake Shafer and Indiana Beach near Lafayette, a few miles outside of Monticello is a nice lake and amusement park to spend a weekend. You can rent boats and water ski there. I always had a good time whenever we went to Lake Shafer.

There are lots of places in or near Central Indiana you can go hiking. Check out the state parks. Mounds, Brown County, Turkey Run, Whitewater, McCormick's Creek, those are all relatively short drive from Indianapolis.

Pokagen State Park near Ft Wayne, you can ride a toboggan and you can also cross country ski there. Seems like they had some downhill skiing there, but I can't say with 100% certainty.

You may be able to find down hill skiing in Southern Indiana. I don't know if there is downhill skiing in Southern Indiana, but they do get snow there and it is hilly, so there may be some down hill skiing in Southern Indiana. Even if there's not, you can still cross county ski just about any where you want.

How much a person likes or dislikes a state will depend on that person's attitude. An attitude won't be the only factor that determines a person's like or dislike of a place, but about 50% of it will.

It is what you make out of it. If you got lemons, make some lemonade.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,236,978 times
Betcha you can get to ski areas a whole lot quicker from Indiana than you can from Florida.
Florida sure looks good about this time of year........let me check back with you about the middle of July and see how that's working out for you.
Please forgive my curiosity but where are you from originally?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 PM

1,164 posts, read 575,124 times
Quote:

Did you forget about camping out in the desert? Snorkeling? Deep sea fishing? Running with the bulls? Am I leaving out anything you can't do *right here*?

Kidding aside, there are trails and thousands of acres of wilderness in the metro area. Meetup has a whole page of outdoor groups here. There's an indoor pool near you. And Carmel is a nice, safe place to take a walk at night. If you can't find anything to do, that's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or