U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,300 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I are researching and looking to move to Indianapolis or surrounding areas. We have a basic idea of what our income will be, our mortgage, property taxes, fuel costs, etc. Now, I need some more detailed information. Can someone please point me to another thread, or somewhere online, or can you tell me what I can expect as far as average monthly utility costs for a 2000 sq ft, 4 bedroom home?

Electricity, gas, water, trash?
Also, homeowners insurance?

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 PM

521 posts, read 276,877 times
For homeowner's insurance, try your current homeowner's insurance carrier. My carrier has an easy on-line questionnaire I've used for exactly what you're asking about. First, find a home on a real estate listing that looks like something you'd you'd be interested in. Then, fill out the questionnaire (or call an agent, I suppose, if that's not an option), and see how it comes out. You won't know everything about the home from the listing info, but you can probably make some reasonable guesses.

I think I remember reading some "utility bills" thread(s) on this forum within the last year.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,399,602 times
Utilities can vary based on where you live. I know trash is billed on your property taxes in Indianapolis, however that may not be the case in other counties. Many of the burbs also have different electric vendors than does Indianapolis, IPL/Duke/Vectren.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,814,048 times
As mentioned, a lot will depend on where you live, if you have gas heat or electric, etc. I live in Fishers. You will have to contract trash pickup yourself, though some neighborhood HOAs have deals with certain trash vendors. Ours finally got one with Rays a couple years ago after someone did a survey and found people on the same block with the same service from Republic having bills ranging from $44 every 3 months to over $100 every 3 months for the exact same service on the exact same street. For Fishers, we personally don't have gas but electric is from Duke and water is from Citizens Energy. Electric (with electric heat) for us ranges from $120 in the summer to over $300 in the winter if its really cold. We do one of their budget billing plans where we pay the same for 11 months and do 1 catchup month (or more typically we've overpaid the other 11 months and get a credit that 12th month). They also have a budget plan where you just pay the same amount with no catchup month. Water is typically around $30-35 for us. This for about a 1500 sq ft, 1-story house.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 PM

2,877 posts, read 2,628,924 times
I see postings regarding electricity but what about natural gas rates or is natural gas not widely available in the Indy metro?

Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 PM

521 posts, read 276,877 times
Getting back to the OP's questions a bit...

Can anyone give an idea of how much water they use (maybe looking at your water bills)? I was trying to get an idea of how much our family of 4 would use if we lived on 1/3 acre vs. 1/2 acre vs. 3/4...? We know what our usage is here in Southern California, but our lot is very small compared to what we're shopping for in Indiana, and we don't get nearly the amount of rain (or snow for that matter).

Same question about gas and electric, as the OP asked, too. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2019, 09:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 693,517 times
No difference. It rains a lot here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or