Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
Indy is my hometown. The homeless population has increased a bit and is more visible than it used to be. But Indianapolis will never compare to San Fran as the homeless and panhandlers go. The panhandlers in San Fran are aggressive, but haven't noticed that it Indy.
Yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Having lived in both Indy and SF, the bolded is an incredible understatement. My wife had 3 separate homeless guys take SWINGS at her, without her provoking them (she's pretty timid) while living in SF. They are absolutely nuts there. Indy's homeless population is Disneyland in comparison. They also defecate right on the sidewalks in SF. So much so, that there's a poo map online that someone put together of all the calls of feces on SF sidewalks. (Human) Wasteland
That’s what they continue to vote for out there

Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have a serious question. Just where do you suggest they go? Many homeless facilities do not have daytime hours or they do not allow drinkers, drugs, or aggressive behavior. The library would prefer they not be there and they are not allowed to sleep there. The homeless exist and many are mentally ill.

Where are they to go?

We are not yet San Francisco which has the weather and the culture to generate far more homelessness.
I don’t know. But it can’t be there.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I know we have a Democrat mayor now. Could this be why things are so lax now?
Why would having a Democratic mayor be the cause of this? Do you not remember seeing any homeless people downtown a few years ago? That's a pretty absurd question to ask.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
I don’t know. But it can’t be there.
If you move them from downtown they will just be in other parts of the city, still homeless, and still making people complain about them, much like yourself.

I'd imagine that appeal of downtown as a homeless person is greater access to pedestrian foot traffic, people who may be willing to donate to them. Greater access to homeless services. (I do not know where they are located in Indy, but in most cities they are located downtown)

Old 07-21-2018, 11:30 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I left two years ago.

I did notice homeless and beggars downtown, but it was mostly contained to the times around sporting events and other high traffic times. I did have people ask for money, but there were also signs like "it's for booze."

I never noticed it being a major problem.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:07 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
I have lived downtown for almost 20 years. It is much more gentrified with more tourist type traffic and it makes the "homeless" stand out. Closing down the camps, makes they move where services are located and that is DOWNTOWN.

Transit, meals, shelters, supported housing, etc. are all downtown. NIMBY is all over our city.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have lived downtown for almost 20 years. It is much more gentrified with more tourist type traffic and it makes the "homeless" stand out. Closing down the camps, makes they move where services are located and that is DOWNTOWN.

Transit, meals, shelters, supported housing, etc. are all downtown. NIMBY is all over our city.
This is kind of what I was thinking. The city kicked them out of their old "camps" such as under the railroad overpass on Davidson St. So I wonder if that forced more to move into the heart of downtown all the time now.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Why would having a Democratic mayor be the cause of this? Do you not remember seeing any homeless people downtown a few years ago? That's a pretty absurd question to ask.
Ballard did not allow that type of thing in heavy pedestrian and tourist areas like on sidewalks in front of the circle theater! They were in parks or camps. Now I just heard on WIBC that a man was bathing in the circle fountain! It is no secret what Democrat leadership has done to San Francisco and DC! They have a human feces problem! The police get their orders from the mayor. Why is our current mayor allowing this?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
This is kind of what I was thinking. The city kicked them out of their old "camps" such as under the railroad overpass on Davidson St. So I wonder if that forced more to move into the heart of downtown all the time now.
That must be the reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: