Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

I have a great work opportunity to transition from Columbus, OH to Indianapolis. I have very little familiarity with the city and the area, but I love Columbus and have lived in Ohio my entire life so am not sold on taking the opportunity, no matter how good. How are the schools? Are there good private schools around?

Where would you live if you had a family and budget was no concern? In Columbus we live in Upper Arlington, which is a near-north suburb (only about 6 miles from the city center). We love the near urban feel of UA. My knowledge of Indy says there's not much like that in the city. Are there safe areas near the city center where you'd want to raise a family? I'm familiar with the far suburbs (Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville, etc.). Would you raise a family in any suburbs near the city center? Areas of the city itself? We love the idea of a close-knit, walkable, midwestern vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:54 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,114 times
I'd say Carmel just about fits the bill as to what you're describing except it's further than 6 miles from the city center. But if you're looking for a safe suburb with somewhat of an urban vibe and walkability, Carmel would be a great fit.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:08 PM

How are the people in Carmel? Want to avoid "Stepford", to put it bluntly. Also, how's the commute to Indy from Carmel? Any decent public transport?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:27 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
The commute from Carmel can be anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour during rush hour depending on where you live in Carmel and how bad traffic is on that particular day. That's assuming you are working downtown. There is virtually no public transit once you get outside Marion County so most all the 'burbs have no public transit into Indy. I feel like the suburbs, especially on the north side, are too far for what it sounds like you want.

Lockerbie Square is one of my favorite areas but quite expensive and sought after. There are also some really nice homes in the Old Northside neighborhood between I-65 and 16th St. Also, I'd highly recommend looking into Irvington on the east side. If you don't mind being farther north and have the money, Meridian Kessler is also a very sought after area and getting into the So Bro area. One plus to this area could be the new bus-rapid transit line they're putting down College Ave that will run right through the heart of this area to downtown.

This is all assuming you want a house. If you're fine with an apartment or a condo, there are plenty of those all around downtown. Downtown is quite safe.

I can't really speak much to schools other than Indianapolis Public Schools have a poor reputation. But someone else will have to help you out with that that has more knowledge.

If money were no object, I personally would either live in one of the older central neighborhoods in Carmel or the older neighborhoods of south Noblesville but part of this is because I work in Carmel. That would keep me from relocating out of the northern suburbs.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:39 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
If you want to live in the city and send your kids to public schools, you need to familiarize yourself with Enroll Indy and the lottery used to fill IPS magnet and charter schools. I know IPS families on the northside and eastside, and you can certainly find a good city school if that is your desire. In general and off the top of my head, 91, 70, 84, 60, 55, 27, and 2 are considered the strongest K-8 IPS schools. All of them require the lottery to get into.

However, if you are making the move now in the middle of the school year you have long odds to get seats at those schools.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:59 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Carmel is not a "far suburb." Carmel directly abuts the city limits of Indianapolis. From downtown in rush hour, the 40 minutes is pretty much correct. Outside of that, I was regularly able to get from a little past downtown Carmel to downtown Indy in 20-30 by going down Meridian St.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
Your post indicates budget is no concern. If I were you I would live in Meridian Kessler area and send your kids to Park Tudor school. I live in Carmel but if money were not a concern I would do as I describe. Park Tudor is expensive though.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM

158 posts, read 175,259 times
Meridian Kessler or Butler Tarkington.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masters1 View Post
Meridian Kessler or Butler Tarkington.

I would agree with masters. This seems to sounds like the neighborhood/area you live in now. However, you should go in knowing you'll likely be wanting to send your kids to private schools. There might be one or two charter schools that are good (ie: Herron High School) but the easiest path would just be a private school with no lottery or anything.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:15 PM

Default Fishers

Sorry to open up an old thread here, but what's the view on Fisher's? I noticed there is a railroad running down 36 (I think that's the road)? Is it busy/noisy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis