U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 5,281 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I hoping you all can help me out. My husband and I recently rehabbed a home in Bates Hendricks. The home is currently up for sale but we have had minimal action. (people are viewing the house, just no offers, even lowball) So my question is is Bates-Hendricks still a good area for young professionals and new young urban families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM

8,316 posts, read 13,704,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_h731 View Post
So my question is is Bates-Hendricks still a good area for young professionals and new young urban families?
Generally speaking yes. I don't know what the real estate market is like now, but last year appropriately priced houses in BH were selling before hitting the market or within a week of going live.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:26 PM

3,665 posts, read 9,343,985 times
How long has it been for sale and is it priced with good comparables? Any recent negative news articles? Was the problematic recent neighbor shooting in BH or do I have the wrong area?

Old 08-15-2018, 02:29 PM

3,922 posts, read 4,350,431 times
I saw your other post in the real estate forum. There is a lot of competition in that area at the moment. Looking on MIBOR, there are 3 other houses on the same block as the one you're trying to sell for sale, and 2 more one block over. It looks like all of them are flipped houses as well. That's all I can come up with. Just a lot of competition.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM

Thanks! That is kinda what we were thinking but since we are not in the area, I wasn't quite sure about recent potential crime levels.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM

Its been on the market for almost 60 days. Its priced at 264,900. I think its priced comparable. The other homes on the street and area are going for 300+ but they are down to studs rehabs.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:41 PM

6,054 posts, read 7,278,888 times
To be brutally honest every single house I see rehabbed there looks like every pseudo-modern farm house decorating cliche from HGTV: gray walls, grey floors, sparkly/modernish light fixtures with Edison bulbs, white kitchens, etc., etc. etc. It also appears as if much of the original woodwork, even doors, were removed. Every bit of charm of an older house is gone. For many people part of the appeal of a neighborhood like that is some older charm.

Given the price range of these house compared to the median price in Indianapolis I can see why they aren't moving. I'd buy one of the cheaper places that need gutted and put my $200-250,000 thousand in doing so while keeping some of the charm.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Do you look at the correct house? Our has the original built in, original floors, original doors. We updated the kitchen and baths and electrical. Thats it. Maybe the pictures do not reflect that, which I think might be true. It was important for us to keep as much original as possible.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:44 AM

244 posts, read 151,208 times
Your listing photos don't show much of the exterior, and on google maps street view, it shows an overgrown alley access to the parking pad and a chain-link (no privacy) fence between the parking pad and the neighbor...plus a bunch of ratty garage doors surrounding the rear of the property. And the alley being *right there* with no separation to the side or rear doors would be a security concern for me, even in an okay area. On the front side, the neighbor's rusty chain-link fence (shown on the map) isn't appealing. Those map images are from 2011, though, so obviously out-dated. The prior listing photos at least show a privacy fence out back instead of that chain link. And, finally, I don't care for the skinny siding (looks cheap). With your new metal roof, updated siding would've been a good use of your rehab budget, in my opinion.

Your photos could be better. It bugs me when I'm looking at a home on-line and I can't get any idea of the floorplan because the photos are too close-in, emphasizing the details and "finishes", but leaving out the bigger picture. That always leaves me wondering what's being hidden or simply frustrates me to the point that I'll just move on to the next listing. I would suggest you refer to the prior listing photos to get a better idea of how to better show the rooms and layout. People will be able to see your fancy new finishes just fine without zooming in on them.

By opening up the kitchen to the living room, you're emphasizing the change of flooring between the two areas. If you had been willing/able to put in contiguous flooring, that would look much better, but I'm sure preserving the original wood floors in the living area was your goal. I'm not a fan of the open concept for that matter, but I'm also not at all the targeted buyer for your area.

I can see where you've tried to preserve some of the original features.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

244 posts, read 151,208 times
I just took a look at your updated listing, OP, and it looks 1000% better than it did back in August! The virtual tour is super nice, too. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis