U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,305,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Strong rumor going around Indy is that Amazon HQ2 is going to land at the old Indianapolis airport. I never thought Indianapolis had a chance at HQ2 because we donít have good public transportation, and none that extends into Hamilton County.

The old airport location would make sense, though. Wait and see.
Unless things have changed since late April, Infosys has bought the old airport location and is going to be building a technology hub there. So it's not going to be Amazon.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...now/548087002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,187,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Unless things have changed since late April, Infosys has bought the old airport location and is going to be building a technology hub there. So it's not going to be Amazon.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...now/548087002/
My spouse reminded me of this yesterday.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 5,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Strong rumor going around Indy is that Amazon HQ2 is going to land at the old Indianapolis airport. I never thought Indianapolis had a chance at HQ2 because we donít have good public transportation, and none that extends into Hamilton County.

The old airport location would make sense, though. Wait and see.
If Amazon puts HQ2 in Indy the GM stamping plant site is the most logical choice.
Infosys is already taking a huge chunk of the old airport

Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 AM

21,272 posts, read 15,588,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
As far as foreclosures, I'd be curious the impact of the previously bonkers housing market slowing back to normal on the foreclosure rate. Last summer, you'd have multiple offers on a house before it went live. Houses that may have foreclosed were sold. As that frantic market has returned to normal, foreclosures may have increased as a product of the market getting back to normal.
I doubt it's anything more than this. That housing market can't keep up the pace forever.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM

3,890 posts, read 4,305,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsfavoriteson2 View Post
If Amazon puts HQ2 in Indy the GM stamping plant site is the most logical choice.
Infosys is already taking a huge chunk of the old airport
Again, though, unless things have changed since April, the GM Stamping Plant site has also been sold to a developer with construction beginning before the end of the year.

Deal Closes on Old Indy GM Stamping Plant Site - Inside INdiana Business

Old 09-04-2018, 03:47 PM

18 posts, read 5,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Again, though, unless things have changed since April, the GM Stamping Plant site has also been sold to a developer with construction beginning before the end of the year.

Deal Closes on Old Indy GM Stamping Plant Site - Inside INdiana Business
The developer has said if Amazon wants that site they will happily work with them. Construction hasn't started yet and a final decision is due at the end of the year. By any logical measure the stamping plant is still on the table

Old 09-05-2018, 10:35 AM

From what I was looking at today with IT/tech stuff and on the IBJ, things in the white collar space seem to be doing just fine.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM

1,132 posts, read 816,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
As far as foreclosures, I'd be curious the impact of the previously bonkers housing market slowing back to normal on the foreclosure rate. Last summer, you'd have multiple offers on a house before it went live. Houses that may have foreclosed were sold. As that frantic market has returned to normal, foreclosures may have increased as a product of the market getting back to normal.
Indy isn't anywhere near close to the only hot housing market, so I don't buy this logic at all. Indy is the only one to have those types of figures for multiple months (100% change year/year). Florida has a boom/bust economy and hurricane impact and Houston had hurricane impact, but there aren't other areas that are as inexplicable as Indy with such high percentage differences.

Carrier and other manufacturers closing would make a lot more sense because it doesn't take thousands of foreclosure starts to move the needle significantly.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM

1,132 posts, read 816,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
From what I was looking at today with IT/tech stuff and on the IBJ, things in the white collar space seem to be doing just fine.
I don't doubt that - much of the economy though is held up by the blue collar workers across the country and if they're struggling it will not look good on these reports. White collars are generally last to feel the pain of a downturn because they're usually better savers.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I don't doubt that - much of the economy though is held up by the blue collar workers across the country and if they're struggling it will not look good on these reports. White collars are generally last to feel the pain of a downturn because they're usually better savers.
Outside the metro where there are more blue collar jobs, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some slowdown. I lived in Carmel and worked on the north side and Fishers. Maybe that skewed my perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis