U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 09:29 PM

5,337 posts, read 7,725,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsfavoriteson2 View Post
If Amazon puts HQ2 in Indy the GM stamping plant site is the most logical choice.
Infosys is already taking a huge chunk of the old airport

Unfortunately Indy didnít make the top 3 sites for Amazon Hq2.

Crystal City Virginia, Dallas, and New York City with Virginia being the strong favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:28 AM

21,272 posts, read 15,588,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Unfortunately Indy didnít make the top 3 sites for Amazon Hq2.

Crystal City Virginia, Dallas, and New York City with Virginia being the strong favorite.
Simply being on the Amazon list creates conversation and buzz, and smaller businesses may be giving Indy a look for their operations, when it might have previously flown under the radar.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 PM

139 posts, read 106,272 times
I read today that it looks like it's going to be northern VA. Jeff Bezos just bought a $23 million dollar home in D.C. (and another $12 mill in reno) so it makes sense.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 PM

14,550 posts, read 16,483,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masters1 View Post
I read today that it looks like it's going to be northern VA. Jeff Bezos just bought a $23 million dollar home in D.C. (and another $12 mill in reno) so it makes sense.

Today a news report said Amazon now plans 2 new cities for HQ2 instead of 1 city. They plan to split the new workers up between the 2 new locations. So I guess it would be HQ2 and HQ3.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/05/amaz...tml?yptr=yahoo

Old 11-21-2018, 06:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,613,245 times
I am so sick and tired of hearing about all of the crime that Indianapolis(and especially the Marion County city limits) has. Of all the websites that have touted Indianapolis as being an even marginally business friendly city, most of those websites have overlooked all of the major decay and crime problems that Indianapolis has been struggling with in recent years. Iím sorry but I just donít see Indianapolis improving their economy with so many areas(especially the east side) being so run down and crime ridden, I hardly even bother to check the local news as I am all too appalled at the sky high levels of violent crime. IMHO, if Indianapolis really ever wants to become even a secondhand economic center in the Midwest or even Indiana for that matter, it should work on solving the crime and homeless person problems first, then perhaps Indianapolis might just become more attractive to major businesses, just my honest and humble opinion.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:07 PM

771 posts, read 377,122 times
Indianapolis area drives 40 percent of state's economy

Major businesses open offices downtown or in office parks like Keystone at the Crossing, which are both nice areas in Indy to live and work. They don't care what's going on in low-income, high-crime areas.

Last edited by sheerbliss; 11-21-2018 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-22-2018, 07:14 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,191,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
IMHO, if Indianapolis really ever wants to become even a secondhand economic center in the Midwest or even Indiana for that matter, it should work on solving the crime and homeless person problems first, then perhaps Indianapolis might just become more attractive to major businesses, just my honest and humble opinion.

Violent crime is mostly drug dealing gangs and/or individuals shooting each other. Far behind these numbers are your store robberies, and even further behind that is the non-black market dealing home invasions. The biggest crime issue is property crime for most people. Constantly having your mini-barn broken into, bikes stolen, drunk/high people crashed out on your property, needles laying around, human waste on the sidewalk or at the park. It is these quality-of-life crimes that could drive people to the suburbs. A Facebook friend just wrote that his wife helped a company with a transition from downtown to Fishers. A relatives former boss, a lawyer with a small law office, was sick of having sky high downtown rent and moved to the northern burbs as well. Downtown cores will always draw certain businesses, but if quality-of-life crimes continue, especially if rent/ownership costs are extremely high, at some point businesses will be driven out to more suburban areas if it works for them.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:47 AM

According to FBI data, property crime in Indianapolis has been going down for years, though the data don't describe rates in specific neighborhoods. Burglaries and thefts are close to the lowest levels they've been since 1985. Going by what I read on nextdoor, a lot of break-ins could be prevented by keeping valuables out of cars and having packages delivered at work or a UPS store. As for hordes of homeless people, I haven't seen them here--certainly not at levels they have on the West Coast.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:07 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,191,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
According to FBI data, property crime in Indianapolis has been going down for years, though the data don't describe rates in specific neighborhoods. Burglaries and thefts are close to the lowest levels they've been since 1985. Going by what I read on nextdoor, a lot of break-ins could be prevented by keeping valuables out of cars and having packages delivered at work or a UPS store. As for hordes of homeless people, I haven't seen them here--certainly not at levels they have on the West Coast.

The question to ask on Nextdoor is, "Did you report it to the police and if so, what is the case number?" I know lots of people who don't report minor thefts or other incidents like hit and runs or vandalism. They don't have time and usually the insurance deductible is more than what the repair costs will be (or there isn't insurance on whatever was taken anyway).

Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 PM

I don't think people report minor thefts or vandalism anywhere, especially in large metro areas. For more serious crimes like hit-and-runs, yes, neighbors have said they called the police. Some of us on nextdoor encourage people to do so, even if the crime isn't solved, so that the police have an accurate picture of criminal activity and can justify more patrols and more cops if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis