U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

21,272 posts, read 15,588,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Violent crime is mostly drug dealing gangs and/or individuals shooting each other. Far behind these numbers are your store robberies, and even further behind that is the non-black market dealing home invasions. The biggest crime issue is property crime for most people. Constantly having your mini-barn broken into, bikes stolen, drunk/high people crashed out on your property, needles laying around, human waste on the sidewalk or at the park. It is these quality-of-life crimes that could drive people to the suburbs. A Facebook friend just wrote that his wife helped a company with a transition from downtown to Fishers. A relatives former boss, a lawyer with a small law office, was sick of having sky high downtown rent and moved to the northern burbs as well. Downtown cores will always draw certain businesses, but if quality-of-life crimes continue, especially if rent/ownership costs are extremely high, at some point businesses will be driven out to more suburban areas if it works for them.
I'm far from a city booster, but I never saw those problems downtown in the nearly three years I lived there.

Were there homeless? Sure, but I'd shew them off and never had any get really aggressive.

For Colts, Pacers, or Indians games, I almost always parked at Edna Balz Lacy Park. There is free parking there. I've walked from that park to Victory Field, up to Sun King, the library, etc. I've been in many of those areas all times of the day and night. Never an issue. I've also spent a good bit of time in Bates-Hendricks on foot.

I understand that more crime occurs downtown than in Fishers, but it is far from the Wild West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:41 AM

8,288 posts, read 13,621,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Constantly having your mini-barn broken into, bikes stolen, drunk/high people crashed out on your property, needles laying around, human waste on the sidewalk or at the park. It is these quality-of-life crimes that could drive people to the suburbs.
In the last decade of living in Center Township (Fountain Square/Near Eastside), I can count on one hand the number of times I have personally encountered these types of issues. I've encountered a couple of them, yes, but no where near approaching a level in which the term "constantly" would apply. Yes, I also know people who encountered an issue like this once and decided that was enough to move to the outer townships/suburbs. I also know people who are not bothered by these issues, or don't encounter them enough to consider it a deal breaker for living in the city.

When people ask me what it is like living in the city, I try to be as honest as I can because it really isn't for everyone. On a day to day basis though, the biggest irritants we encounter are litter, irresponsible dog owners, and parking jockeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis