Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:50 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,722,397 times

Advertisements

I've seen some postings on Craigslist for this, you might want to post an ad there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,985,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
I did a very quick search about this subject and while it seems to be 'sweeping the nation', it sounds little more that an assisted 1031 exchange. One web site said,'A home exchange is built on trust, and the mutual respect of each other's property is what makes home exchange possible'.

That sounds fantastic, but when was the last time a buyer and a seller trusted each other about anything?

After hundreds of years of mustrust and adversarial relationships, I find I difficult to believe that buyers and sellers are suddenly lovey-dovey!

This sounds like repackaging of the 1031 exchange product. While it is a good product, it's an income device for tax dererral. Using it to exchange homes is a new twist that I am not familiar with.

I guess I'll do more research!!!

You can't do a 1031 exchange for your primary residence because it's not held as investment property or for use in business or trade. (or you can do one, but it doesn't meet the IRS guidelines for a 1031). And since you're exempt from tax on the gain from the sale of your primary or secondary residence (up to a point), there's not much incentive to fashion it as a 1031 anyway. Sounds more like a way for people who need a larger or smaller house than they currently own to find someone else in the opposite situation, i.e. empty nesters swapping their 4 bedroom for a young married couple's 2 bedroom.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM

172 posts, read 509,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
You can't do a 1031 exchange for your primary residence because it's not held as investment property or for use in business or trade. (or you can do one, but it doesn't meet the IRS guidelines for a 1031). And since you're exempt from tax on the gain from the sale of your primary or secondary residence (up to a point), there's not much incentive to fashion it as a 1031 anyway. Sounds more like a way for people who need a larger or smaller house than they currently own to find someone else in the opposite situation, i.e. empty nesters swapping their 4 bedroom for a young married couple's 2 bedroom.
We're all aware of the specifications of the 1031 exchange and it's tax implications. I said it looked to be nothing more than an assisted 1031 exchange. Maybe I used the wrong verbage for you.

The 'swapping' of houses is merely two desparate people finding each other in the dark, facilitated by individuals chasing a buck.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
We're all aware of the specifications of the 1031 exchange and it's tax implications. I said it looked to be nothing more than an assisted 1031 exchange. Maybe I used the wrong verbage for you.
Sorry, didn't know you had inside info on the collective consciousness of everyone who reads this board.

Many people misunderstand the requirements for a 1031. MikiJayne said she thought it sounded like a 1031. You yourself said you thought swapping homes sounded like a new twist on a 1031, and that this was little more than an assisted 1031 exchange. I was trying to clarify that issue for you - you can 1031 a residential home, but only if it's held as an investment property.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 PM

172 posts, read 509,701 times
And this used to be such a nice neighborhood...

Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM

What's that supposed to mean? I'm just trying to help. You seem offended that I commented on whether it could be a 1031, and I'm not sure why.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 706,385 times
Default Calm Down

You know Trader Jack with all due respect, you sound awfully arrogant.

To make assumptions of what EVERYONE knows is outrageous. I for one knew nothing about the "1031 exhcange". And FYI, I am NOT trying to swap houses to "chase after a buck" as you said. Not EVERYONE has a silver spoon stuck in their mouths and we as a Nation are going through some pretty rough times right now...perhaps you need to switch on the tv and watch the news or better yet, instead of giving your "biased" opinions on Citi Data, you could try using the internet to gain some insight on how people are doing what they can to keep their heads up above water right now.

I posted this message simply to get advice, not get butchered on by someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about me, yet, continues to KNOW IT ALL~!

Old 06-26-2008, 08:23 AM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 706,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
What's that supposed to mean? I'm just trying to help. You seem offended that I commented on whether it could be a 1031, and I'm not sure why.
I truly appreciate your input and help. Thanks for your advice and opinion. Wish we had more people like you on board...simply helpful and not passing judgement on others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis