U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM

230 posts, read 139,015 times

Advertisements

In the past year+ since I've been doing some research about relocating to the suburbs of Indianapolis, I haven't come across many mentions about gangs, drugs, or other crime. I would imagine that means the areas I'm targeting (mainly Carmel, Fishers, Zionsville) don't see too many problems such as these. Anyone care to comment?

Also, when I look at one of those color-coded crime maps on-line, Brownsburg shows up as having quite a bit of crime -- as opposed to the other 3 suburbs I mention, which appear to be very low crime areas. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 PM

5,889 posts, read 7,117,417 times
Last weekend I was speaking with a friend of mine that lives in Carmel. There is a "hidden" drug problem at Carmel High School according to my friend. It's the typical thing that one finds in wealthier suburban high schools elsewhere in the country. We used to live near a suburb similar to Carmel (another state). It had a big problem with heroin because the kids had money to spend. She also shared a truly horrific story about Carmel High School's treatment of a student that made a minor mistake. Can't say much more about it because of some legal issues.

Not sure what kind of crime you're seeing in Brownsburg. My spouse grew up not too far from Brownsburg. We have 4-6 different family members that live there now. They've never mentioned crime being an issue. If anything I suspect it's property crimes and not violent crimes.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM

21,068 posts, read 15,366,366 times
Check patterns of things like big box stores. If you have "mall hell," you're going to have some elevated level of property crime.

I never noticed any crime or problems in the three years I lived in Carmel.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's the typical thing that one finds in wealthier suburban high schools elsewhere in the country.
Yeah, sadly, I would sort of expect that. I went to high school in a fairly affluent area, and I heard about such things as a student. It was pretty "hidden" as you say...those of us who weren't into that scene weren't really touched by it.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Check patterns of things like big box stores. If you have "mall hell," you're going to have some elevated level of property crime.
Here's a link to the Brownsburg crime map I mentioned above:

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Brow..._zm/#map-crime

When I do the same thing for Carmel or Fishers, there is very little blue, and it seems to be mostly around busy intersections, more congested retail/dining areas, etc.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:28 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,751,474 times
There's probably not very many petty street ciminals in Carmel. If there are criminal elements in Carmel, they will be maybe small time drug dealers or bookies, or white collar criminals who will not jeopardize anybody's safety; rather than common street thugs who would maybe mob attack somebody for no good reason or rob somebody at gun point or burglarize a business or house or home invasion or car jacking.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:35 PM

5,889 posts, read 7,117,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Here's a link to the Brownsburg crime map I mentioned above:

https://www.trulia.com/for_sale/Brow..._zm/#map-crime

When I do the same thing for Carmel or Fishers, there is very little blue, and it seems to be mostly around busy intersections, more congested retail/dining areas, etc.
Yeah, those blue areas you're seeing in Brownsburg are the "busy" intersections there.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:59 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,135 posts, read 3,266,178 times
I lived in Avon, and can attest to the fact that there is little to no crime in Brownsburg. I suspect the incidents on the map are due more to population density relative to retail and restaurants and the petty crimes that often go along with such places.

I went to Perry Meridian when it was new and had a fairly affluent demographic. Drugs were plentiful, because nearly everyone had the money for them. Granted, society was a bit different then, but I've worked in schools for a number of years and I've always found that affluent schools usually have a "seamy underbelly" that involves alcohol and drugs...

RM

Old 10-13-2018, 03:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,175,587 times
The suburbs are safe for the most part. Lots of retail shopping has went in in the burbs in the last two decades and as that increases, so does shoplifting. I've heard there are some places that sometimes get a Walmart shoplifter every single day, sometimes twice a day.

Violent crime is rare, but I always tell people to take precautions: Have an alarm system, harden your entry points, and have a means to defend yourself with what you are most comfortable with (pepper spray, knife, firearm, etc.). If you have a firearm, please make sure it is secure when it isn't in your direct control.

As others have mentioned drugs are an issue in the suburbs. Most folks really only care about the hardcore drugs and not so much about the kids smoking marijuana or drinking. There was an internet poster who was claiming that she was trying to do a video on heroin use in Hamilton County. This person wrote that she was getting roadblocks from government types who didn't want to air the dirty laundry. This person wrote that in one class from Hamilton SE (Fishers) that there were at least ten OD deaths from one class that had graduated five or so years prior to this claim. I have no idea if this is true, but this was back when pain pill addition was really bad and steps hadn't been taken to deal with it yet, so it isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:10 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,135 posts, read 3,266,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilesriseup View Post
Everybody knows the cause. We're all operating under various degrees of social deniability and/or artful explanation.

The answer: Same cause as everywhere else in Western Civilization. Check the demographics.
And what about them? They're very similar to other upscale suburbs of Indianapolis:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Brownsburg-Indiana.html

If you're making veiled references to race, you're way off the mark.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis