U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 02:28 PM

8,330 posts, read 13,804,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
As far as discounted or free tickets. That was from comments on-line and one family source. Some relatives got discounted (maybe even free) tickets via their suburban soccer club. They were pretty cheap (to me cheap is $5-$10/person), but that didn't really surprise me given the physical attendance I was seeing. I also don't think the venue called for costly tickets as it was a sub-par facility to begin with. I don't know the particulars about how these cheaper tickets came to be.
It is not uncommon for minor league teams to comp tickets to youth sports leagues, that alone is not enough to back up your original claim that "An MLS team wouldn't make it. Plenty of comments on-line about free and discounted tickets given out over the years"

The other stuff about attendance numbers being puffed up so a construction guy can from building a stadium is close enough to conspiracy stuff that I won't engage in it. For the record, I am not necessarily pro-stadium in terms of leverage city money around to build one.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 10-22-2018 at 02:51 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 04:31 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It is not uncommon for minor league teams to comp tickets to youth sports leagues, that alone is not enough to back up your original claim that "An MLS team wouldn't make it. Plenty of comments on-line about free and discounted tickets given out over the years"

The other stuff about attendance numbers being puffed up so a construction guy can from building a stadium is close enough to conspiracy stuff that I won't engage in it. For the record, I am not necessarily pro-stadium in terms of leverage city money around to build one.
There is no conspiracy. The owner owns a construction company. Clearly a conflict of interest to give him the money to build it and I never really read anything saying he'd want the contract. It is clear the guy wants to be a player in the pro-sports arena. Based on his Indianapolis Monthly interview, I think he'd rather have his MLS franchise and control of any stadium, no matter who ended up with the build contract. When businesses or organizations are trying to get legislation past in their favor, of course they'd inflate and pretty up what they are selling. That's how politics works. There is no way to prove or disprove a conspiracy without an insider leaking information on the specifics of ticket sales. Basically, were there thousands of individual credit cards used vs. were there large (and I'm talking thousands of tickets) blocks sold to one or two companies (and thus then dolled out here and there to get people to come and fill the seats). Hell, even the Colts (themselves or through other entities) did things like this at the last moment to get their home games on TV. And you know what, years later, we spent a billion dollars on a new stadium for them.

I was at the games where they'd claim x number of people/seats sold. It was clear to anyone that they were way off in some cases given the number announced and the clear visual of the number of people there. Did people come then go, sure, but there were times I was shocked they'd announce a certain number and I just never felt my view of the crowd, at any time, was anything close to what they were claiming. If they consistently had packed the stadium, I'd think it might be worth it to spend some to remodel the IUPUI venue. I'm not sure they'd actually get anything more than they did at IUPUI (just over 10K, and that is before we know the truth about the sales). If there was enough money, enough interest, it would've already happened. Same with an NHL or MLB team.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:34 PM

140 posts, read 111,589 times
Indy doesn't have the population or the dollars from large corporations that some other cities have to support more major league teams.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM

100 posts, read 321,377 times
There were attempts in the 1980s to land a MLB team in Indianapolis, called the "Arrows". There were several proposals to move existing teams, including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago White Sox. When Marge Schott was trying to get a new stadium in Cincinnati, she also threatened to move the Reds up the road to Indy.

As I recall, the concern was filling a 40-50K seat ball field 50-60 times a summer. Football salaries can be covered by tv revenue, but baseball relies more on stadium revenue. Indy has had trouble supporting the Pacers over time - hard to believe given the Hoosier Hysteria over basketball - so perhaps it would be difficult to fill a baseball field all summer.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-23-2018 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Link to competing website; copyrighted image.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:41 AM

892 posts, read 1,343,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
There were attempts in the 1980s to land a MLB team in Indianapolis, called the "Arrows". There were several proposals to move existing teams, including the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago White Sox. When Marge Schott was trying to get a new stadium in Cincinnati, she also threatened to move the Reds up the road to Indy.

As I recall, the concern was filling a 40-50K seat ball field 50-60 times a summer. Football salaries can be covered by tv revenue, but baseball relies more on stadium revenue. Indy has had trouble supporting the Pacers over time - hard to believe given the Hoosier Hysteria over basketball - so perhaps it would be difficult to fill a baseball field all summer.

[snip]
Thanks. I learned something new.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-23-2018 at 04:13 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 11:41 AM

242 posts, read 234,025 times
Indy is really a melting pot of several MLB teams. I have the Cubs. Others root for the Reds, Cards, Tigers or others. I doubt we will see the NHL either. Bankers Life's seating config is not suitable for the NHL. We have it really good for sports here all year around both in the city and area. Great combination of major league, minor league, and college sports to keep people like me happy and great facilities to enjoy then in. Great job by Purdue for stomping Theeeeeeeeeee () Ohio State University and hopefully my ND Fighting Irish can go all the way this year.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,282 posts, read 3,435,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Indy has had trouble supporting the Pacers over time - hard to believe given the Hoosier Hysteria over basketball - so perhaps it would be difficult to fill a baseball field all summer.
That was my point. Back in the 70s and 80s you couldn't give Pacers tickets away, but there was no problem at all stuffing over 2,000 people in a high school field house, even more in college games. I can recall going to Pacer games during that time and being bored out of my mind.

RM

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM

242 posts, read 234,025 times
Oh yeah back then they were boring.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:15 PM

11 posts, read 6,528 times
The NHL would not work in Indianapolis. I'm a huge hockey fan and my boys play hockey. Indiana outside of areas like South Bend and Fort Wayne with other random places like Culver just aren't as passionate about hockey. In Bloomington the ice rink is not open year round, and despite college hockey taking off recently (college games rarely, if ever, were on tv and now they are) IU doesn't see an opportunity to get their foot in during this growth period. They spend a boatload on everything else, including building a brand new indoor facility for marching bands, yet we have one ice rink that is, and I say this lovingly as I've spent many hours there, a joke where the IU team (division 3) plays.

All my friends who like hockey here in south central Indiana are transplants from places like Boston, Michigan, or Minnesota. There just isn't an interest from natives down this way. I'm from South Bend and my parents were from Detroit so that's how I got into it.

As for soccer, Indy won't get an MLS team any time soon as there are lots of places ahead of them in the line. Indiana is a good soccer state, but with Cincinnati getting a team I don't think they'll expand to Indy any time soon with other areas being ahead of Indy.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 2,402 times
it amazes me how people cheery pick things about a city.yes the Pacers have had their up and down seasons but just like anyother NBA team the fans will come if you're winning and seats will be empty if their losing.im not sure if that says anything is out the norm in Indy compared to anywhere els
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis