U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 07:57 AM

25 posts, read 21,417 times

Advertisements

My husband may get a job just south of Lilly Recreation Park and I am looking for areas to live nearby, no more than 30min drive away.

The area must be low in crime/safe area and affordable rent for houses up to 900/mo if possible, and 24hr gyms nearby.

We have no kids, so schools aren't an issue.

But we do need to be close enough to civilization so that I can get a job when we move there too, but don't mind being in a quiet area.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:50 AM

8,281 posts, read 13,601,260 times
"Within 30 minutes of Lilly Recreation Park" is pretty much the everything from Broad Ripple to Franklin to Brownsburg to Greenfield.

I don't use 24 hour gyms, and I don't really have a handle on how much rental prices vary across the entire 350 square miles you are asking about. In order to get more useful advice, you'll need to ask a better question. A quick check of Anytime Fitness shows 18-20 gyms in the area you are asking about.

If you are working just south of Lilly Rec Park, and are unfamiliar enough with the metro to ask such a broad question, a safe place to start is probably that area straddling US 31 on the south side. You'll have a shorter commute and be in a safe enough area.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM

5,925 posts, read 7,165,529 times
I'd suggest you begin your search in Fountain Square or near the University of Indianapolis. Don't know abut the nearby gyms.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,159 posts, read 3,292,867 times
Garfield Park?

RM

Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 PM

750 posts, read 369,091 times
I was thinking Garfield Park, too. It seemed like a nice place the few times I've visited and it's close to I-65.

Old 11-05-2018, 03:50 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,185,869 times
I looked up on the map where your husband will be working. 30 mins. away, given normal rush hour work schedule (M-F), really only allows for options from Avon, Plainfield, Mooresville, Center Grove area, Greenwood, Pleasant View, New Palestine, and maybe McCordsville. I drive from SW Madison County to the downtown area. It is 27 mins. for me but I leave very early for work. I once left during rush hour and it was closer to 45 mins. that was in part due to a crash (traffic was moving slow, stop and go). Anything further north than US 40/Washington Street in the surrounding counties would be pushing it, all depending on what time one leaves for work. Even northern Marion County/Indianapolis would be questionable for a 30 min. commute. I don't see Franklin or Greenfield being close enough for the 30 min. requirement.

Do you want urban, suburban, or rural suburban? Exit 50 out I-70 west of the city is somewhat growing but still has a rural feel. It is much closer to Indy than I thought. Anything between there and inside the city is workable for the commute time. For urban areas, like others have said, Garfield Park and Fountain Square might be an option. You might have more violent crime in those areas, but that sort of crime is usually targeted. Property crime, especially burglary, is big all over the metro area. From basic $70K homes on the south side of Indy to homes costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Get a security system and consider cameras and beefing up physical security no matter where you land. 24/7 gyms are all over the metro area. Some are part of larger companies, some are smaller, personally owned business. I'm sure the suburban areas of Plainfield, Avon, and Greenwood all have at least one. There might even be options along IN-67 and IN-37 in the Mooresville/Center Grove area.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:30 AM

21,221 posts, read 15,525,933 times
I would probably do Greenwood, Avon, or Plainsfield and call it a day. All should have options in your income, provided your debt-to-income and such is "fine." All are close to Indy and have enough amenities day to day for most folks' needs.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM

6 posts, read 1,702 times
People are right in their assertions that 30 mins can get you pretty much anywhere in Indy from just south of the Lilly Rec Park Location. However, as some mentioned, once you factor in rush hour it will definitely be longer. If your husband has off hours from most of the work force you could probably swing wherever you really find a place you like in Indy area. If he would be commuting during rush hour I would stick to the south and or southwest sides of Indy area and suburbs.

Many people have already listed some great options and I think you would be happy in those areas as well as very safe.

Plainfield could be a great option since you can hop on I-70 or I-465 plus backroads if traffic is bad on the interstates to get from home and work. Many chain stores but also local businesses and airport related businesses.

Mooresville, though not really mentioned above could be an option as well with it's convience distance wise and less population. Also has access to local business and chain stores. Some access to airport related businesses, but not as much.

Greenwood would be fine as would most of the Southport area (south of 465 but north of Greenwood). This area might eventually have the most future construction/traffic congestion issues though with Highway 37 being turned into I-69. That is still a long ways off though so not an immediate issue. Greenwood Park Mall and every business imaginable in this general area.

Fountain Square and Garfield Park have some really unique, cool and up and coming parts about them, but also have some much less desirable areas than the others mentioned above. I would still take a look and would feel safe in those areas if I were you. May be a little harder to find work in these direct areas as there are local but not as much chain or big box stores, but you could easily drive to within 15 min to these type of stores for groceries or job.

Avon might be a bit of a stretch. Depending on where in Avon you find a place would be the true determinate. If you can avoid Rockville by using Ronald Reagan Pkwy or other side streets or even be in the southern part of Avon you will probably be fine. Rockville during rush hour and sometimes even just non increased traffic hours can be a real mess. Once across Rockville you'd probably be fine since Ronald Reagan Pkwy has really helped move traffic north/south easier, but still just a very congested area. Greenwood can get like that at times, but has enough side streets to make it not nearly as rough I think. Plenty of chain and big box stores in this area and other businesses for finding a job or getting essentials.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 PM

117 posts, read 183,756 times
Granted, it's been four years since I moved away from Indy, but for three of the four years I lived up there I stayed right there pretty much at the junction of Southport Rd @ Meridian/135. One road, straight shot into downtown. And aside from one wayward crackhead sawing the catalytic converter off my truck, I never once had a single issue, or even a threat of an issue. From where I lived (Meridian South for those curious), I could go west on Southport and hit Kroger, the UPS store (had a mailbox there), and the other things that were in that plaza. If I remember right, there was also a 24-hour gym right there at Southport @ Harding, next to the Steak & Shake. Straight down Meridian and east on Stop 11 Rd going south, less than 10 minutes away, put me at the Greenwood Park Mall, and the couple of shopping plazas back on the Indy side of County Line Rd (if it matters, there's a Walmart in there too, closer to Southport). Straight south on Meridian, not even five minutes away, into Greenwood, put me at Meijer, Menards, and the couple other convenience things down there (including yet another Kroger). And there's a few nice eateries down there...I remember Vegas Steakhouse on 135 being pretty good.

I know for whatever reason the south side carried/ies something of a bad rap, and I saw why some say it felt "forgotten about" in the grand scheme of things Indy, but I personally loved the location and the convenience of literally everything I needed being inside a 10-minute jump down one road or another--and downtown, particularly the Colts stadium, being a straight shot right in Meridian.

There's a good couple houses, some townhomes, and I wouldn't doubt even more apartment complexes down there (that's one thing you WILL NOT find a shortage of in Indy: apartment complexes). Anyway, just throwing my plug in along with my experience as a single 30-something guy at that time.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,159,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
Granted, it's been four years since I moved away from Indy, but for three of the four years I lived up there I stayed right there pretty much at the junction of Southport Rd @ Meridian/135. One road, straight shot into downtown. And aside from one wayward crackhead sawing the catalytic converter off my truck, I never once had a single issue, or even a threat of an issue. From where I lived (Meridian South for those curious), I could go west on Southport and hit Kroger, the UPS store (had a mailbox there), and the other things that were in that plaza. If I remember right, there was also a 24-hour gym right there at Southport @ Harding, next to the Steak & Shake. Straight down Meridian and east on Stop 11 Rd going south, less than 10 minutes away, put me at the Greenwood Park Mall, and the couple of shopping plazas back on the Indy side of County Line Rd (if it matters, there's a Walmart in there too, closer to Southport). Straight south on Meridian, not even five minutes away, into Greenwood, put me at Meijer, Menards, and the couple other convenience things down there (including yet another Kroger). And there's a few nice eateries down there...I remember Vegas Steakhouse on 135 being pretty good.

I know for whatever reason the south side carried/ies something of a bad rap, and I saw why some say it felt "forgotten about" in the grand scheme of things Indy, but I personally loved the location and the convenience of literally everything I needed being inside a 10-minute jump down one road or another--and downtown, particularly the Colts stadium, being a straight shot right in Meridian.

There's a good couple houses, some townhomes, and I wouldn't doubt even more apartment complexes down there (that's one thing you WILL NOT find a shortage of in Indy: apartment complexes). Anyway, just throwing my plug in along with my experience as a single 30-something guy at that time.
Couldn't agree more. Doubt you can find a house for less than a grand per month but plenty of apartments near Southport and 37 or Southport and Bluff Road. Bluff Road and 37, like Meridian Street, are nice straight shots down town or Lilly Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or