U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 05:53 AM

24,882 posts, read 60,043,606 times

Advertisements

Passing through the great state of Indiana (where we get our popocorn and conversion vans and car racing) last week, we stopped for gas in Anderson.

I ran my card and selected regular unleaded gas at 42.19 per gallon. I turned around and put the nozzle in our van and started pumping gas. Later (after 20 plus gallons) I noticed it had changed to mid-grade and was charging me $2.61 per gallon. I stopped the pump and re-inserted my card and started over. It changed to mid-grade again after I turned around. Once again and this time I watched it. A few seconds after starting the pump, it switched to mid-grade. I changed it back and this time it stayed on regular for the last 5-10 gallons.

I went in and told the manager. He show absolutely no surprise nor concern and simply said "thank you sir, have a nice day." I told him I would report it to the authorities since they were stealing from people. He argued with me whether it was stealing and then forcefully said "Thank you sir, have a nice day" and turned his back.

I reported this to the Indiana AG's office, and to Marathon. I will report it to weights and measures, when I find them.

However I want to warn everyone who might use this station to go across the street (there is another station, hopefully one that is not stealing). It is only little bit per person, but it adds up to a major rip off of the people in the Anderson area (Anderson is just outside Indianapolis). Probably not going to impact many people here, but I am letting everyone know anywhere I can think of, so the rip off stops (or becomes less profitable).

I am interested in seeing whether the AG will actually care, or just send me some perfunctory response "We are looking into it" and do nothing. They did have a specific system just for reporting these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,187,156 times
I wouldn't count on anything happening. The AG's office is more interested in joining other states in idiotic lawsuits that many Hoosiers don't support and defending himself against sexual harassment charges.

My personal experience in reporting actual identity theft to the AG's office: I knew more about what they were supposed to do, what forms I needed, etc. than the person in the office. She couldn't even direct me to the correct website for a form I needed to resolve the theft and have charges removed from my name.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:32 AM

2,633 posts, read 1,791,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Passing through the great state of Indiana (where we get our popocorn and conversion vans and car racing) last week, we stopped for gas in Anderson.

I ran my card and selected regular unleaded gas at 42.19 per gallon. I turned around and put the nozzle in our van and started pumping gas. Later (after 20 plus gallons) I noticed it had changed to mid-grade and was charging me $2.61 per gallon. I stopped the pump and re-inserted my card and started over. It changed to mid-grade again after I turned around. Once again and this time I watched it. A few seconds after starting the pump, it switched to mid-grade. I changed it back and this time it stayed on regular for the last 5-10 gallons.

I went in and told the manager. He show absolutely no surprise nor concern and simply said "thank you sir, have a nice day." I told him I would report it to the authorities since they were stealing from people. He argued with me whether it was stealing and then forcefully said "Thank you sir, have a nice day" and turned his back.

I reported this to the Indiana AG's office, and to Marathon. I will report it to weights and measures, when I find them.

However I want to warn everyone who might use this station to go across the street (there is another station, hopefully one that is not stealing). It is only little bit per person, but it adds up to a major rip off of the people in the Anderson area (Anderson is just outside Indianapolis). Probably not going to impact many people here, but I am letting everyone know anywhere I can think of, so the rip off stops (or becomes less profitable).

I am interested in seeing whether the AG will actually care, or just send me some perfunctory response "We are looking into it" and do nothing. They did have a specific system just for reporting these kinds of things.
I'm assuming you meant to say $2.41 per gallon instead of 42.19.

So people will know not to go there, where exactly in Anderson is the Marathon gas station located?

Old 11-25-2018, 10:22 AM

Here is what I bet happened - near the pump and/or on the store's sign out front, in smaller print, it will say the customer will need to pay with that convenience store's/gas station's credit card in order to get the $2.41.9 ppg. Paying with a different credit or debit card, the gas will cost $2.61 a gallon.

If the smaller print is not on the sign or on or near the gas pump, the customer might have a court case. Otherwise, the customer is pretty much s-o-l for "assuming" instead of noticing the small print.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-25-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,187,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Here is what I bet happened - near the pump and/or on the store's sign out front, in smaller print, it will say the customer will need to pay with that convenience store's/gas station's credit card in order to get the $2.41.9 ppg. Paying with a different credit or debit card, the gas will cost $2.61 a gallon.

If the smaller print is not on the sign or on or near the gas pump, the customer might have a court case. Otherwise, the customer is pretty much s-o-l for "assuming" instead of noticing the small print.
Very good guess that sounds plausible.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:44 AM

886 posts, read 1,318,750 times
Quote:

But I think OP was saying that it started out at the $2.49 pg (or however much they meant) and then changed to $2.61 midway through the pumping; at least that's how I understood it.

I also hope they left reviews on Yelp and Google, etc. warning others to stay away; even though I guess not a lot of people consult those for gas.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming you meant to say $2.41 per gallon instead of 42.19.

So people will know not to go there, where exactly in Anderson is the Marathon gas station located?
Sorry, sometimes I miss the shift key and the $ is above the 4. That was $2.19 for regular and $2.61 for mid grade. Not sure why it is so different. I thought it was normally ten cents between grades, but not there. Maybe that is normal. I do not buy mid-grade ever.

Marathon Gas - APPLEWOOD MARATHON
5828 S Scatterfield Road
Anderson, IN
46013-3147
Phone Number: 765-642-2719
Map | Directions

Marathon - Store Home - Marathon Gas - APPLEWOOD MARATHON - 5828 S Scatterfield Road, Anderson, IN 46013-3147

The difference is less now according to the website, but still substantial. ($2.15 regular, $2.48 for mid grade). Now they only rip people off for 33 cents per gallon instead of 41 cents.

Prices went down everywhere. In Texas/OK/MO it was $1.95 when we were coming home. We bypassed Indiana coming home, not because of the gas rip off, Waze just sent us up through Chicago (where gas was $3.87!). Since we were going through at 3 a.m., Waze probably figured Chicago would be shorter with no traffic. Luckily, we did not need gas in Chicago.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-25-2018 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
But I think OP was saying that it started out at the $2.49 pg (or however much they meant) and then changed to $2.61 midway through the pumping; at least that's how I understood it.

I also hope they left reviews on Yelp and Google, etc. warning others to stay away; even though I guess not a lot of people consult those for gas.
This is correct. It was not a difference in credit vs cash etc. There are three buttons, one for each fuel type. I pushed the button for regular unleaded at $2.19 and it switched to the next button for mid-grade at $2.61 after I turned around. I did it again and it did the same thing. It did it a third time, but this time I watched it. The button for regular was lighted, the pump showed $2.19 then it suddenly jumped and the mid grade button lighted up and the pump changed to $2.61. It was about three or four seconds. It appears it was set up that way to wait until people turn to face their car. The main pump screen does not show the price per gallon, it is only on a very small screen just above the selection button, so if you only look at the primary screen, you will only see the number of gallons and the total price. Thus, I did not notice it had changed until I had pumped over 20 gallons in. I suspect most people do not notice, or if they do, just do not bother about it. For most people, it is only a few dollars and not worth going into the store. Unless you happen to be really really annoyed by it.

I have put this on YP and some other site. Yelp does not rate gas stations. I also contacted Marathon, and the State AG. Weights and Measures does not appear to have a reporting mechanism. I will call them on Monday.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Good guess. Sorry, that is not what occurred. The pump changed from regular unleaded to mid grade. The price difference was 41 cents. (42.19 for regular; $2.61 for mid grade).

Old 11-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Seems like there's alot bigger differences in regular and mid range anymore. Up until very recently, it was usually about 10 cents difference but now-a-days it's 40 and 50 cents difference.

I never have heard of the pump switching grades like that in the middle of pumping gas. Is it possible that right before you started pumping gas, when you put the nozzle into your tank, the cheaper price you seen on the pump was price per gallon paid by the previous customer? You look away from the pump towards the nozzle and in your mind you're thinking of the cheap price you seen on the pump, then you squeeze the handle and start to pump the gas, you get it going, you look back at the pump and you noticee it changed to $2.61 once it realized you were using your own credit card instead of the gas station's credit card? Any possibility of that scenario happening?

However it turns out, I hope you get to the bottom of it and report the results back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or