U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 10:37 AM

250 posts, read 159,441 times

Advertisements

We've been with the same insurance company for years for our automobile and homeowner's insurance. It's time to shop around to make sure we're still getting a good deal...and if we relocate to the Indy area as we hope to, that will be a really good time to switch carriers. Fair price and quality of service are my main objectives. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,276 posts, read 3,422,924 times
I was a near 30 year State Farm customer in Indiana and elsewhere. I would shop them every two years and rarely found anyone that could beat them. Even if it was close, the thing that kept me hooked was the local agent, who, for the most part, made dealing with them a real pleasure.

That being said, when I returned to Florida I continued on with them, asking the agent to give me the best possible deal. When I shopped them I found out I was getting severely screwed, like nearly DOUBLE what everyone else was charging.

When I confronted my agent, their response was something along the lines of, “Well, let’s look closer at your coverages and maybe we can work out some better deals.”

Yeah, I think not. And I told them that if they couldn’t give me the best deal up front, they weren’t working to earn my business.

I went to Allstate where I’ve been ever since, and I’ve been very pleased with their rates and service. And I still shop them every two years.

Do considerthat Florida is a real hell hole for insurance, both homeowners and auto, but it’s getting better. I knew it would be a big increase when I moved back, but I didn’t expect my insurance agent to be taking advantage of me. State Farm is here because they want to be able to write policies here, but their attitude is that if you want them you’ll have to pay (dearly) for it.

RM

Old 12-12-2018, 01:21 PM

6,179 posts, read 7,388,401 times
For home and auto, we previously used my husband's sister. I think she was AAA. She wasn't an agent, but she did get a bonus for bringing in policies.

Their prices went up too much so we switched to State Farm for house and auto. Quality service will vary from agent to agent.

Our adult children have both been happy with Geico for auto.

You really need to shop around.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
When I shopped them I found out I was getting severely screwed, like nearly DOUBLE what everyone else was charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
You really need to shop around.
Yeah, I'm doing my periodic shopping around now, and this is why I asked. I guess I'll shop again when we move, and periodically thereafter.

Kinda irritating, isn't it, that we consumers have to keep such a close eye on these things?

Thanks for your replies!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:40 PM

140 posts, read 111,151 times
There are a lot of options for insurance in Indiana as it's a desirable state for insurance companies. I would go to an independent agent once you get here and have them run some quote comparisons for you. I've been with Travelers for several years and like them. Every family's situation is different due to all of the different factors that determine rates.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:17 PM

905 posts, read 441,385 times
Geico.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:09 PM

18 posts, read 5,934 times
Erie Insurance. Great Rates, Great Service and they only serve the Midwest so you are safe from huge premium spikes from mega natural disasters like the California Wildfires or Hurricane's like Harvey.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,276 posts, read 3,422,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundcakesss View Post
Erie Insurance. Great Rates, Great Service and they only serve the Midwest so you are safe from huge premium spikes from mega natural disasters like the California Wildfires or Hurricane's like Harvey.
This isnít typically an issue, as most of the major carriers have subsidiaries that compartmentalize their exposure to a specific state or area. Sometimes this is a function of state laws, like in Florida, for example. For a number of years State Farm didnít write homeowners policies in Florida because they wanted to avoid the exposure to hurricane losses. They do now, but through a subsidiary thatís only licensed to write policies in Florida.

RM

Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 AM

3,338 posts, read 869,975 times
We've been with State Farm for 41 years. I'm sure there are cheaper insurance rates out there. But IMO, there is far more to it then the cost of insurance. State Farm has taken very good care of us the few times we've had accidents, Our rates have actually decreased through years because we are considered good drivers. We'll stay with State farm.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
...IMO, there is far more to it then the cost of insurance.
Agreed. I just don't want to get fleeced in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis