U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:05 AM

9 posts, read 4,677 times

Advertisements

We are originally from Colorado, but moved here from Florida (lived there for 3 yrs), just moved to Indiana 3 months ago. We want to buy a house in the summer or fall of 2019. We noticed a lot of houses do not have basements, is there a reason why?
Lots of houses do have basements in Colorado, I love it because it gives a little extra room. Just wondering if that is a good idea here. We are going to be looking to buy something maybe on the east side of Lawrence, Fishers, McCordsville, Carmel or Noblesville. Thanks in advance for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:48 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,195 posts, read 3,350,652 times
Reasons for a lack of a basement most likely:

1.) Cost

2.) Water table

I can't speak for current (new) construction, but many older homes in the area will have basements. Many parts of the area have heavy clay soil, so drainage is critical for times when there are heavy rains or snow melt, so expect to find a sump pump in these. If the water table is relatively high in an area the builder probably chose to avoid digging basements due to the difficulty and liability.

RM

Old Today, 06:48 PM

814 posts, read 400,603 times
Basements tend to get wet here. It's not inevitable, though, I'm on clay soil and have a dry basement. It looks like it's had a few major repairs.

Most of the house has concrete around the perimeter; where it doesn't, I banked up the soil and planted grass seeds to the house would have positive drainage. I also had the gutters fixed and keep them cleaned out.

I love having a basement. I sleep there in the summer and start seedlings there in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or