U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 PM

248 posts, read 153,911 times

Advertisements

When I look at real estate listings (single family homes in Hamilton County, IN), almost all of them have HOAs. And on the listings, sometimes it is noted that the HOA takes care of snow removal. Ordinarily, what does that include? For example, does the HOA plow the streets within the HOA, or do they also clear the sidewalks? (I know you can't give me definitive answers regarding any particular HOA, but what has been your experience?)

Friends/family of mine that live in snowy climates (none of them in Indiana and most/all with no HOA) are responsible for clearing the sidewalks adjacent to their homes within 24 hours of a snowfall (and of course, their own driveways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:05 PM

6,105 posts, read 7,316,923 times
Expect to shovel your own sidewalks and driveway with a single family house. An HOA that cleared sidewalks would be the exception for single family houses. It's generally multi-family type spaces that would clear sidewalks.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 AM

3,932 posts, read 4,366,546 times
As the above poster said, just streets and if the neighborhood has a clubhouse, that parking lot. You will have to clear your own driveway and sidewalk.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 AM

2,716 posts, read 1,865,264 times
So the people who live in a neighborhood that has an HOA must pay twice for snow removal from the streets - to the HOA and to the City, (or the county or township)?

If that's correct, it sounds kinda messed up, and, one more reason not to live in a neighborhood that has an HOA.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:08 PM

1,103 posts, read 3,179,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
So the people who live in a neighborhood that has an HOA must pay twice for snow removal from the streets - to the HOA and to the City, (or the county or township)?

If that's correct, it sounds kinda messed up, and, one more reason not to live in a neighborhood that has an HOA.
So....you live deep in a housing addition, it snows three or four inches, you wait for the city or county to come in an clear yours streets. Good luck with that.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
So....you live deep in a housing addition, it snows three or four inches, you wait for the city or county to come in an clear yours streets. Good luck with that.
If the city or county taxes are suppose to be going for snow removal, then the city or county needs to be sure to keep the streets passable within at least a couple of days, even if it's the most remote road in the county. That's not asking too much. Especially in a county such as Hamilton County, one of the wealthiest and most desired counties, if not THEE wealthiest and most desired county in all of Indiana's 92 counties.

3 or 4 inches of snow isn't really all that much snow. If you can't go to work or school because the city don't plow the streets for a couple of days, why not consider those couple of days a gift and stay home and enjoy them. I imagine if a taxpayer loses wages because of missed work due to impassable streets, the taxpayer could maybe reclaim most of it in a tax deduction. I don't know, but it would make sense. I would much rather do that than be forced to pay an HOA to clear the snow in addition to being forced to pay a city or county government to do that job.

I wonder if the HOA could send the snow removal bill to the city or county for doing what the city or county should have done but didn't, then the city or county could refund each HOA taxpayer for being charged twice due to negligence on the part of the city or county. That would seem fair and reasonable good-will thing to do.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-05-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
3,221 posts, read 3,371,977 times
While I am familiar with HOAs, I'm not familiar with Indiana laws regarding them. That being said...

In most states if the HOA has responsibility for the roads, this would include clearing them. In other words, gated communities that do not deed their roads to the County must maintain them through the HOA. If you're in a community with an HOA and it has public roads, it's the county/city's responsibility to clear them.

RM

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM

3,932 posts, read 4,366,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
If the city or county taxes are suppose to be going for snow removal, then the city or county needs to be sure to keep the streets passable within at least a couple of days, even if it's the most remote road in the county. That's not asking too much. Especially in a county such as Hamilton County, one of the wealthiest and most desired counties, if not THEE wealthiest and most desired county in all of Indiana's 92 counties.

3 or 4 inches of snow isn't really all that much snow. If you can't go to work or school because the city don't plow the streets for a couple of days, why not consider those couple of days a gift and stay home and enjoy them. I imagine if a taxpayer loses wages because of missed work due to impassable streets, the taxpayer could maybe reclaim most of it in a tax deduction. I don't know, but it would make sense. I would much rather do that than be forced to pay an HOA to clear the snow in addition to being forced to pay a city or county government to do that job.

I wonder if the HOA could send the snow removal bill to the city or county for doing what the city or county should have done but didn't, then the city or county could refund each HOA taxpayer for being charged twice due to negligence on the part of the city or county. That would seem fair and reasonable good-will thing to do.
It's not negligence. It's the HOA paying to get it done faster then the city will get to it. For example, Indianapolis will not plow residential streets until at least 6 inches of snow have fallen. So the HOA can pay and hire people to come plow their streets whether there's 1 inch of snow or 10. Or they don't pay, just wait, and if 4 or 5 inches fall, hope to get another inch or two so the city will come eventually plow it, keeping in mind even then the city won't get to it until the major and secondary roads are clear first, meaning it could be day or so after the 6 inches of snow falls before the roads get plowed and even then the city just hires out private contractors to plow the residential streets. Most neighborhoods would rather just pay and have it done sooner. You're still paying the city because they're still clearing the major and secondary roads, basically everything you drive on once you leave your neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 AM

9,272 posts, read 16,804,451 times
It's also likely that the streets in the HOA property do not conform to city specs. That was the answer I got years ago when I asked our city manager (in Wyoming) why the city didn't remove snow from my HOA neighborhood. Then he backtracked a little and said if all I was wanting was snow removal from the streets, the city "might* be able to do that. I don't think they ever did. I wasn't on the HOA board so didn't push for it, and it's likely the board didn't think the residents of the HOA would be happy with city snow removal, the way the plows leave piles of snow in front of driveways.

As for removal from individual walk ways and driveways, I was one of the earliest buyers into my HOA, and at that time, when the developers still handled all the maintenance, the HOA did remove snow from private driveways, walks and patios, iirc.

When the homeowners took over the maintenance a year or so later, that came to a screeching halt. The board decided it would be too much work to get done in an acceptable time frame. I tend to agree. If you expect someone to clear your driveway, you probably want it cleared early so you can get to work. We had ~175 homes in our HOA neighborhood, and that would have required a good-sized crew to clear that many driveways and sidewalks in time for everyone to get out to work in the morning. Some HOAs might, however. It's entirely up to the individual HOAs. Probably the easiest/best way to handle snow on private areas is just to hire someone ahead of time for the season -- be it a snow removal company or a teen in the neighborhood.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Do the streets really need to be plowed if there's less than 6" of snow? I wouldn't want to pay an HOA to plow the snow if the neighborhood streets are passable. I wonder if the heads of the city think along the lines that the HOA's will plow their own streets, so there's no real sense of urgency for the city to plow the streets unless there's 6" of snow.

If the streets are not passable because there's less than 6" of snow and the city refuses to plow the streets until there is at least 6" of snow, then the city is not doing their job and they need to re-think their policy that concerns the amount of snow that is required to fall in order for them to get out the snowplows.

I wonder how a small city like South Bend averages 2 or 3 times more snow than Indianapolis does such a good job of plowing the snow off their streets.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-08-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis