U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:18 AM

248 posts, read 154,162 times

Advertisements

On one of the California boards, a poster recently shared some lovely (braggy!) photos of winter here in California. His shots were definitely beautiful nature scenes. But most of us here don't actually live in the areas he photographed -- concrete is concrete year-round. -- so while I appreciate the beauty presented, it's not like it's a fair representation of everyday life for most of us.

Anyway, those photos left me wondering what the Indy area looks like now, in winter...nature, suburbia, city, whatever...particularly where people live and work.

I follow the weather fairly closely on-line, so I know you've seen the sun, at least on some days and at least for part of the day, and I haven't noticed much in the way of snowfall. But I'm curious to know what ordinary things look like this time of year.

Does anyone have any photos they'd care to upload/share here? I'd really appreciate seeing some since I have yet to visit in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:21 PM

6,107 posts, read 7,319,878 times
Snow is predicted for this weekend. Any photos I shared with you would be several years old and an 1.5 hours from Indianapolis. Believe or not, the difference in driving an hour south is often significant in terms of weather and definitely in terms of topology/geography.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:55 PM

248 posts, read 154,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Believe or not, the difference in driving an hour south is often significant in terms of weather and definitely in terms of topology/geography.
I sort of figured that was the case. And that's pretty much why I decided to post my question (request) on the Indianapolis forum rather than on the Indiana state-wide one. I appreciate the feedback, though! Stay warm!

Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM

835 posts, read 410,123 times
I took some today, but I can only upload photos that are online.

I can tell you the sky was cloudy, the trees were bare, and the lawn was green. There was water in the retention pond and cars going through the roundabout. A little snow was flying--little flakes that didn't stick.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 4,220 times
Sheerbliss described a pretty typical winter day. I'd say it can be even a little more dreary then described when the sun isn't out. Cloudy, dark and dead vegetation. That can still be pretty in it's own way at times though I think. However, when it does snow, as it it did last night, it is beautiful.

Attaching pictures from Brownsburg, Mooresville, and Danville with the snow. Will try to get a "dreary" picture attached when snow melts.
Attached Thumbnails
Have any current local (a.k.a. winter) photos to share?-brownsburg-1.jpg   Have any current local (a.k.a. winter) photos to share?-brownsurg-2.jpg   Have any current local (a.k.a. winter) photos to share?-mooresville.jpg   Have any current local (a.k.a. winter) photos to share?-danville.jpg  

Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 PM

*Dormant* vegetation. Indianapolis is full of trees.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 4,220 times
Yes, dormant is a much better word than dead. Thank you. Spring all of it blooms back from its dormancy.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:23 PM

21,781 posts, read 16,010,497 times
This will be the biggest snowstorm of the year so far.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM

20,399 posts, read 34,975,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
*Dormant* vegetation. Indianapolis is full of trees.
If you want winter greenery you usually have to plant pine trees yourself, however.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM

The lawns stay pretty green here--though native Hoosiers don't think so. Coming from dry, brown Colorado, they look green to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or