U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:25 PM

65 posts, read 18,615 times

Advertisements

I stopped watching TV...30 years ago...I do have Netflix and I can rent Red Box.. and I do both.. Weather is available from non-prostitute sources.. I read a LOT I read 30 to 100 books a year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Agree. I sometimes wonder if these predictions of mass chaos aren't in part driven to thank the grocery stores for their ad revenue. So what if it is going to be 10 inches of snow? For a metro area, that really isn't a huge issue. Yes, it might mean people will have to take 20-60 minutes to shovel out their driveway, around their car, etc.. I get it that it one lives in the hinterlands of Rush County, they might be driving only 10, maybe 20MPH for miles on rural county roads until they hit a major highway. A handful of years ago we had a "blizzard" just after Christmas. The official warning actually came on Christmas Day. The requirements for a "blizzard" were so watered down, it was really a non-event. People were out driving, there weren't feet of snow except in wind trap areas where the wind blow snow from acres of land into one small area. Within 12-24 hours of the snow, it was basically back to normal. The plows pushed 95% of the snow off the roads, hot tires, salt, and the sun melted the rest away.

I don't even watch the "live" news anymore. Anymore, it is so scripted, fake, agenda driven, yes even the local stuff. If I turn on Fox or CNN, I know what to expect, but the local stations are now so scripted to be cheerleaders for certain things, I just can't stand it anymore. Plus, with my smart phone and their apps, I really don't see any reason to schedule my life around catching their live broadcast, or even DVRing the news.

I agree I think they are pandering to people who are older and slow in how they go about life. These are the traditional people who will plan their evening, morning, etc. watching whatever news channel. So hyping things up are a way to keep them tuned in. Then you have the people who just want to engage in constant on-line and in-person communication, hence the comment sections of news channel Facebook posts are usually hundreds in numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 12:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,893,291 times
Well, did y'all get a weather warning of a monster storm this time? I heard Central Indiana got hit pretty bad. Hope everybody is safe and keeping warm.

Central Texas didn't get anything near what Central Indiana got, but it was cold here early this morning. According to the thermometer in my car, it was a bone chilling 36 degrees and let me tell ya, with that wind blasting out of the North, it felt every bit of it. It was bordering on bitter cold. It's warmed up some since then, but there's still a nip in the air.

I for one will be glad when spring finally gets here. This cold weather is for the birds.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:48 PM

888 posts, read 1,338,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Well, did y'all get a weather warning of a monster storm this time? I heard Central Indiana got hit pretty bad. Hope everybody is safe and keeping warm.

Central Texas didn't get anything near what Central Indiana got, but it was cold here early this morning. According to the thermometer in my car, it was a bone chilling 36 degrees and let me tell ya, with that wind blasting out of the North, it felt every bit of it. It was bordering on bitter cold. It's warmed up some since then, but there's still a nip in the air.

I for one will be glad when spring finally gets here. This cold weather is for the birds.
Apparently it's so cold that Noblesville had to ban crime:

https://www.theindychannel.com/weath...d-temperatures

Quote:
Police in Noblesville issued a notice Tuesday morning banning "all crime and illegal activities" due to the extreme cold temperatures.

"If you fail to comply with this notice there is a possibility of a fine or even jail time," the post on the Noblesville Police Department's Facebook page reads.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

3,950 posts, read 4,389,573 times
Seems like these last couple major weather events they've been right on, maybe even undersold this snowstorm a little. The wind chills did get down to -30 to -40 as forecast. And I head 2-4 inches of snow last night and measured 4 inches this morning in my driveway. You have to remember that weather forecasters are trying to predict the future of mother nature, which I think we all know is one of the most unpredictable forces there is. The rest of the newscast is what sensationalizes things, not so much the weather people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or