U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,228,195 times

Advertisements

I've lived in central Indiana my entire life. Growing up, I don't remember freak-outs of the magnitude I've seen regarding 4"-8" of possible snow. I wasn't really that "alert" during my teen years, as I was focused on other things, but snow storms usually seemed to be an issue for maybe the day before and that was it. Now it seems like the news media is so desperate that any possibility of a "big snow" (since when did 8" become a big snow event?) seems to get constant coverage. Twice earlier this winter season the media completely blew it when it came to predicting a significant weather event.

Today I watch in amazement that one station had basically two hours of nothing but this horrible winter storm. The news reporter basically was standing in maybe a 1/2" of sleet. Where I was at it was just rain and it just recently turned to sleet, but now it seems nothing is coming down.

From what I understand the NWS changed their definition of a blizzard to something more toned down, but I'm not sure if they changed the requirements calling for a "winter storm warning." It just seems like a complete over-reaction to typical winter weather for this area. Sure, we might have a slew of years where we don't get much, but does that mean we should freak out when eight inches of snow are possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 02:11 PM

896 posts, read 433,827 times
There's not even anything on the ground here. It looks like it's either raining or slightly snowing.

I noticed long ago in Denver that people seemed to be getting less and less able to deal with the weather. You know it's bad when DJs act like it's a tragedy when there's a cloudy day.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:38 PM

1,745 posts, read 681,140 times
Glad I didn’t rush to the grocery store with the rest of the crazies to stock up on weeks worth of food. LOL.

The media’s job is to get ratings and reporting big snow storms gets ratings.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:48 PM

NOW it's coming down. ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Old 01-19-2019, 04:37 PM

241 posts, read 231,827 times
Perfect day to watch hoops all day. Purdue stomps IU lol, Butler beating St John's, Pacers-Mavs tonight. Really getting nasty out now.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM

8,539 posts, read 10,340,117 times
Limited winter weather predictability isn't only a problem in Indianapolis. Both Alexa and the Weather station have been predicting 60-degree weather all week, yet there have been a couple of mornings the temperatures have dropped into the 40-50-range. Even now, we've got a storm blowing outside and a forecast dropping to around 40-degrees tonight. Not sure if I should bring my plants in tonight ... or not. [Alas emoji .. which I can't find]

Old 01-19-2019, 04:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 464,961 times
Yes this is what happens where I live.

5 days before the storm, the weather channel says it will be 1-3 inches.
4 days before the storm, the suddenly, and mostly local stations... proclaim it will be 12+ inches.
3 days before the storm, local forecasters claim it could "go higher" and proclaim it will really depend on the track.
2 days before the storm there is a slight moderating going on... dropping it to 9 inches but again being sure to talk about the track making it "tricky" to determine.
1 day before the storm, suddenly we are back to 6 to 9 inches..
2 hours before the storm starts -- the forecast says it will be 1-3 inches.
The storm produces... 1 inch or less.

I mean... just horrible.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 AM

8,320 posts, read 13,767,676 times
The news in general is more about generating a response, click bait, and social media engagement than actual news. It isn't limited to the weather.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:59 AM

1,094 posts, read 464,961 times
I work up this morning and the weather channel said we were getting rain. I went out and we most certainly were not... ice and sleet. When I came back in... they had changed the forecast. I mean seriously they cannot forecast any more. They can see that a storm is coming and then they update the weather as it is happening.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:19 AM

I'm looking out my window at sunshine and 2" of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or