Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 PM

19 posts, read 65,306 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 31 year old African American man with a 1 year old baby.

i posted a similar thread on the Louisville forum.

Coming from Milwaukee, I work as a quality inspector in the automotive industry, also with medical equipment and devices. I'm open minded, laid back, I like to go on walks, to various parks, I love all sports, and music. I'm looking to start fresh somewhere new and get out more.

I'm undecided between Louisville and Indianapolis. Louisville seems more scenic with natural beauty, and Indy seems more laid back in good way.

I've researched both cities and also read plenty of reviews and message boards. I've seen a lot of pros and cons with both cities.

I've only driven through both cities, but will visit both before a final decision.

I'm looking for opinions on...

Transplants I know Louisville gets a lot. Is it more than Indy? What is to expect 'living' in the city as a fresh face?

Diversity / culture / acceptance Seems kind of diverse from the demographics. I'm a black man with a mixed son (half black, half Mexican) and I'm not looking for the best or safest neighborhood to live in, just a diverse one. I'm from a dangerous and extremely segregated city and I survived there just fine with hardly any serious issues.
The city has a decent Hispanic population. What neighborhoods have the highest percentages?

Progressive views I'm progressive and lean heavily left. I've read in numerous articles and boards that Louisville is more progressive than Indianapolis, but looking at voting stats, Indy has a higher percentage of liberal voters.

Singles / nightlife / raising a family Does L'ville or Indy have a better singles scene and nightlife? And what city is better to settle down in and start a family?

Jobs Does the city have a decent job market in the QA/manufacturing/logistics field? I read that Louisville pays the least of the surrounding big cities

I'm just looking for clear input on the city and if it will be right for me and my son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 AM

4,969 posts, read 6,242,765 times
I can't speak to Louisville as I've never actually been other than driving through. And I can't really comment much on the other questions you bring up, but I can speak a bit for transplants in Indy.

Indy does get a decent amount of transplants, especially in the suburbs, however it seems most come from elsewhere in Indiana. I've met several from northwest Indiana and Chicago. I moved here from northern Indiana. But I have made friends with someone from Louisiana. My wife is from New Jersey. I met her after she had relocated here. I'm friends with someone who moved here from Canada. Others from Kentucky and Ohio. I do not know who gets more transplants, Indy or Louisville.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM

174 posts, read 239,163 times
I live in the Indy area so can't speak as much on Louisville. Here's what I'll say on Indy.

I've heard in the past that for a major metropolitan area, at least within Marion County, it is considered one of the most diverse BIG cities when looked at by city block. I used to have the data or site that showed that, but can't find it and it was from at least 5 years ago so things may have changed. Using websites like Niche.com you can do some of the things you can here on City-Data, but it does do some rankings in diversity, best places to raise a family, etc.

If you are looking for diversity in Indy I would suggest staying in Marion County. Some of the Doughnut counties are seeing increases in minority populations, but again are still majority white. Marion County, on the other hand, is very diverse outside of maybe the southern portion of it. Compared to Milwaukee it is not as segregated if you are within Marion County.

School districts to look at that are considered better FOR Marion County and have decent diversity in the schools would be Wayne Township, Lawrence Township, Warren Township, Pike Township and Washington Township. There are other schools not necessarily apart of these townships some that are private and some public that are pretty good as well. As I always tell people your child's education will be what you make of it by your involvement. IPS gets a bad rap but I've known plenty of success stories if the family was involved. Same with Carmel schools. They are considered some of the best in the state, one of the wealthiest and "most involved" family districts in all of the state; however, there are kids there too who's parents aren't as involved and therefore they still fail or don't do well. I always say the rankings on websites aren't the whole story; however, the perception is what influences home values in different areas. Avon and Brownsburg area schools are probably your next best bet for diversity outside of Marion County.

Crime wise I think Indy has a higher crime rate than Louisville, but most of that is people that know each other/drug related. If you keep your nose clean of that stuff you'll be fine. Generally city-center area and eastside in the evening/early morning hours are the areas that see the most amount of crime. Other areas experience crime, but not nearly as much.

Economically I think Indy has more diverse offering of jobs and a stronger economy. This doesn't tell the whole story and I'm not a huge Wikipedia fan, but for your benefit this chart might help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

Politically inside Marion County is much more liberal and left leaning. Your donught counties where the rural and suburb areas are is where more of the conservative voters are, but as you mentioned it is shifting to less and less conservative in Central Indiana in general.

I can't speak on transplants as most people I know through work or friend circles are from Indianapolis or from elsewhere in Indiana and moved for career opportunities or college in Indy.

I have been to Lousiville's night life and 4th Street and Bardstown Road are pretty cool places, but would probably compare about the same, maybe less opportunities to Indy's downtown area, Mass Ave and Broad Ripple areas. They are both about the same though I'd give a slight lean towards Indy. Mass Ave and Downtown are generally more of the older crowd and Broad Ripple the younger, though there is definitely cross over age wise at both locations, but certain bars cater more towards others. You also have more professional sports opportunities in Indy than Louisville if that is your scene.

Indy, and probably Louisville, is a great city to raise a family. The US's largest children's museum, zoo, parks, other museums are all great for families and young children.

I'm sure stuff was left out, but hopefully from the Indy perspective that gives you somewhere to start.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 AM

891 posts, read 2,443,925 times
You need to come visit both cities and see what you like more.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:49 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,350,540 times
I'm a transplant and I've gotten nothing but a positive reception.

The near east side, where I live, is pretty diverse. There are more Hispanic people just south of Washington. There are more black people between about Woodruff Place and Sherman. You can see diversity of areas on the map in this link: http://www.city-data.com/county/Marion_County-IN.html

Politically, it's pretty purple. IME, people are more left and progressive in the city of Indianapolis than outside of it, but tend to be closer to the middle than the extremes.

Indiana has the 2nd largest GDP in the automotive sector after Michigan. It's also a logistical center of the US. At the CPA firm where I work, a major part of our practice is manufacturing firms.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM

88 posts, read 272,496 times
I've lived in Indy since 2002. Prior to that I bounced all over the country....Chicago, Florida, Ohio, Western New York. I like Indy the best.

Compared to Louisville Indianapolis has a better job market. Definitely a better White Collar job market. As to manufacturing I know there is a massive manufacturing warehouse district near the airport and in Brownsburg (small town to the west of Indy).

The cost of living in Indianapolis is cheap compared to the national average but a little higher than Louisville.

I am also left-leaning politically and find plenty of like minded people in the city. Indiana is a red state but Indianapolis is pretty blue. Especially with the below 30 crowd. Its also a very diverse population that is largely integrated. Even the suburbs. And that makes for a great food scene....Latino, Thai, Vietnamese, soul food, BBQ, German, Italian - you name it.

But here's the thing I like most. Indianapolis gives you all the cool things about living in a big city but with few of the bad. We get pro-sports, big name concerts, conventions, festivals, traveling Broadway shows, great food and nightlife...and its all very accessible. Unlike Chicago (as one example) you dont have to fight traffic to experience any of it....and then pay $30 to park..and then wait in line for an hour....and then fight traffic on the way home. I live way out in the Indy burbs but I can be downtown in 25 minutes and park (usually) for free or just a few bucks. You dont have to live downtown to "live" downtown in Indy - and I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis