U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 03:10 PM

20 posts, read 6,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Not even close.

Start-ups and venture Dollars--Chicago by far and other cities similar in size to Indy exceed what happens in Indianapolis.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/25/he...-for-startups/

Detroit and Cincinnati have more tech jobs that require a degree. Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Columbus and Minneapolis all have more tech jobs that don't require a degree.

I'll also add from personal experience: 4 years ago when my son was graduating with a degree in computer science, good internship experience and a great GPA he had a single interview from an Indiana company. To be fair, he could have had an interview with my daughter's company, but he didn't want to work in the same place as his sister. Except for my daughter, who wanted to stay in Indiana to be close to her then boyfriend/now husband, not a single young person I know that grew up in Indiana remained here for a tech job. I know about 6-10 young people that fall in that category.
Venture dollars is just one metric. If Chicago has 1 or 2 companies gathering 80% of the venture dollars is it fair to say its the tech capital of the midwest? of course not. Silicon Valley is what it is because of the huge cluster of large tech companies in the area. Not 1 or 2 big players.
Indianapolis's tech scene has many more smaller and medium sized players without one big company dominating the whole scene like Amazon in Seattle. Salesforce would be the closest big player Indy has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 05:34 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
I'll also add from personal experience: 4 years ago when my son was graduating with a degree in computer science, good internship experience and a great GPA he had a single interview from an Indiana company. To be fair, he could have had an interview with my daughter's company, but he didn't want to work in the same place as his sister. Except for my daughter, who wanted to stay in Indiana to be close to her then boyfriend/now husband, not a single young person I know that grew up in Indiana remained here for a tech job. I know about 6-10 young people that fall in that category.
I have siblings, a cousin, three friends from college (almost 20 years back now), and now an in-law all in higher end tech jobs. I have one former co-worker who went into a lower end tech job (ie: "Help desk" or "tech support", but more than just setting up Windows for someone). They all stayed here. Many have bounced around from job to job, various types. Some work for companies not based in Indiana.

What I tell young people is that if you want a tech job, you can find one in Indianapolis. The problem is that it might not be exactly the type of job they want, or with a corporate culture they are looking for (ie: Big vs small, great pay but so so benefits vs so so pay but amazing benefits). I tried going the computer science route, as the jobs are everywhere in the country. To me it is like being an electrician or plumber, the skills are needed where there are people because where there are people there will be computers involved in so many daily aspects of life.

I didn't have the personality to do the advanced level programming stuff. It frustrated me to no end because basically one is learning a written foreign language. I came to appreciate that type of work your son and my friends and family do. I'm more hands-on and thus I'm looking at electrical trades and/or robotics/machine maintenance type jobs now.

I don't think Indy is the tech capital of the Midwest, but if one wants a job here, they can get it. I know from very past and recent situations that jobs are definitely available here. I also know that a company in Cincinnati was said to be hiring a lot of IUPUI CS grads as well. What I saw in my time looking at that field was that almost every major city is likely going to have at least some number of IT/CS level jobs available. Pay and benefits may differ substantially, but that is just how things are.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:16 AM

974 posts, read 470,756 times
Quote:
Not even close.

Start-ups and venture Dollars--Chicago by far and other cities similar in size to Indy exceed what happens in Indianapolis.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/25/he...-for-startups/

Detroit and Cincinnati have more tech jobs that require a degree. Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Columbus and Minneapolis all have more tech jobs that don't require a degree.

I agree. Notre Dame graduates tend to find more opportunities in Michigan or Chicago or Ohio (which is ironic). That is if they want to stay in the midwest. But one also has to consider the cost-of-living. As I understand it, Chicago's middle class has largely disappeared and is very expensive. If I were a recent computer science graduate from Indiana, I would most to Austin, TX.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:32 PM

8,335 posts, read 13,822,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pay was good by local standards, but the actual product development was not done in Indy. The startup scene is not that great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I agree. Notre Dame graduates tend to find more opportunities in Michigan or Chicago or Ohio (which is ironic). That is if they want to stay in the midwest. But one also has to consider the cost-of-living......If I were a recent computer science graduate from Indiana, I would most to Austin, TX.
Inc. magazine recently published an article titled "Surge Cities" ranking the most start up friendly cities. The only Midwest metro they ranked ahead of Indy was Minneapolis.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:01 PM

22,199 posts, read 16,374,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Inc. magazine recently published an article titled "Surge Cities" ranking the most start up friendly cities. The only Midwest metro they ranked ahead of Indy was Minneapolis.
Indy ranks highly because of a good university base with IU/Purdue grads and a low cost of living and doing business. When I worked in Indy tech, what was being done in the startup culture was mostly meatball, fairly low value stuff. I worked for the satellite office of a Boston based tech company. Operations were farmed out to Indy and similar mid-level metro. The intellectual property creation and development remained in Boston.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 PM

8,335 posts, read 13,822,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Indy ranks highly because of a good university base with IU/Purdue grads and a low cost of living and doing business. When I worked in Indy tech, what was being done in the startup culture was mostly meatball, fairly low value stuff. I worked for the satellite office of a Boston based tech company. Operations were farmed out to Indy and similar mid-level metro. The intellectual property creation and development remained in Boston.
Have you ever heard of Exact Target?

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

88 posts, read 223,459 times
As someone who is tech employee in Indy I will say this - Salaries for tech jobs in Indianapolis match the salaries for the same job in Chicago - but the cost of living in Indy is wayyyyyyy less. So you live like a king here compared to Chicago.

Thats why I moved here. Plus the weather is significantly better

Old Today, 12:28 PM

22,199 posts, read 16,374,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Have you ever heard of Exact Target?
I never said it can't or doesn't happen - clearly some flyover country tech firms hit it back.

That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of the high end tech jobs in the country are in coastal metros.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

1,761 posts, read 701,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstroh View Post
As someone who is tech employee in Indy I will say this - Salaries for tech jobs in Indianapolis match the salaries for the same job in Chicago - but the cost of living in Indy is wayyyyyyy less. So you live like a king here compared to Chicago.

Thats why I moved here. Plus the weather is significantly better
This might be true for lower level tech job titles, but bigger cities give you more upward mobility where you will make a lot more later in your career and have better opportunities to jump ship. YOu aren't going to find the same number of high end tech jobs in Indy or any job for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or