U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:58 AM

3,956 posts, read 2,112,706 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for homes and was wondering how suburbs rank in cost per square foot for homes and if you think they are worth it. It looks like Carmel is most expensive, then it gets cheaper as you get farther from Indy? Western and Southern are cheaper than northern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 806,475 times
If you could narrow down what type of home/property you're looking for, that would probably help.

I've been looking at single-family residences in Hamilton County for the past two-ish years...mostly on-line, but I've made two trips to the area, the most recent of which involved some actual house-hunting with a realtor.

For what we're after (which is kind of a long, somewhat picky list in the under $550K range), I would say Zionsville is a bit higher-priced than Carmel, followed by Westfield. But there are so many different neighborhoods within each, even those are generalizations. I can't address any of the other suburbs since those are the only 3 we've really done any real looking in...and even among those 3 cities, we've focused mostly on Carmel.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:22 AM

4,824 posts, read 5,665,717 times
Yeah, Zionsville and Carmel are most likely to be the most expensive followed closely by Westfield and Fishers. Fishers seems to have more of what are labeled "starter homes" that will be smaller and cheaper (and more cheaply built). Noblesville has a lot of pricey newer housing stock that is driving up prices there but there are still a lot of older, smaller homes near the center of the city for cheaper. But yeah, the other suburbs will be cheaper than the northern ones. I couldn't tell you, though, how those might rank.

You could go for one of the smaller nearby towns like Pendleton or Fortville, even Greenfield. You'll go through some countryside before you get into the city and housing could be more difficult to find, but it will likely be cheaper, though Fishers is now bumping up on the edge of Fortville with newer neighborhoods being built with more expensive homes.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:14 AM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,081 posts, read 5,707,869 times
That's if they're sticking to the northside.

I was thinking that you could look at the county and surrounds much like a clock, with the most expensive properties being between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, then moving counter clockwise to the west side, then down and around the southside and ending up on the eastside.

Somewhat broad in interpretation, but I think a decent generalization.

RM

Old 06-19-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yeah, Zionsville and Carmel are most likely to be the most expensive followed closely by Westfield and Fishers. Fishers seems to have more of what are labeled "starter homes" that will be smaller and cheaper (and more cheaply built). Noblesville has a lot of pricey newer housing stock that is driving up prices there but there are still a lot of older, smaller homes near the center of the city for cheaper. But yeah, the other suburbs will be cheaper than the northern ones. I couldn't tell you, though, how those might rank.

You could go for one of the smaller nearby towns like Pendleton or Fortville, even Greenfield. You'll go through some countryside before you get into the city and housing could be more difficult to find, but it will likely be cheaper, though Fishers is now bumping up on the edge of Fortville with newer neighborhoods being built with more expensive homes.
What makes fishers and noblesville cheaper per square foot? Is Carmel and Zionsville better in some way?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,522,037 times
Supply and demand.
People ask more for housing in Carmel and Zionsville because they can.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:35 PM

151 posts, read 146,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
What makes fishers and noblesville cheaper per square foot? Is Carmel and Zionsville better in some way?
Perception of the areas as well as what the town, city, or other types of local governance allow to be developed in those areas.

Perception is that Zionsville and Carmel are more desirable and have more of what many people are looking for. I know with Zionsville that not as many new neighborhoods have gone in and those that do many times have a low end home cost of $400,000s and many requirements for lot size, materials used, and other amenities. Now Whitestown, that feeds into Zville schools and is essentially considered same area, will have newer and cheaper homes, but even there isn't too much development and not on too cheap side yet.

Zville is probably seen as more exclusive as the homes in the area, even older ones, are worth more. You are paying for the charm of their awesome small town feel downtown. It reminds me of Nashville, IN downtown that tourists love to visit for the antiques and other laid-back feels. However, its only a hop, skip and a jump to downtown Indy. Traffic is not nearly as bad getting to and from downtown Indy during rush hour as the NE Side near Fishers, Noblesville, etc. Carmel has all the amenities that people love and has been forward thinking in that regard and so is highly desired. While I know it's not the case, several young friends of mine live in Zville and I have family in Carmel, but I always hear of these 2 communities referred to as the "old money" whereas Fishers and Noblseville are more solidly Middle Class and New Money.

Fishers and Noblesville are starting to incorporate some of the aspects of Carmel, but are still behind. Fishers still has some growing possible, but as another poster said it is much newer construction and on the lower end money wise. Noblesville is building newer and more expensive, but is just starting to really grow their town as Fishers and other areas fill up. In all 4 communities you'll still find homes cheap, but compared to the rest of the housing stock they will either be in poor condition or small.

MortonR said, "I was thinking that you could look at the county and surrounds much like a clock, with the most expensive properties being between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, then moving counter clockwise to the west side, then down and around the southside and ending up on the eastside."

I would completely agree with his statement on how prices swing generally. There are exceptions here and there, but this is the best GENERAL description at quick glance. Center Grove area (Bargersville) is an exception compared to most of Westside or eastside and even some northside, but again just one exception.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:15 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
5,081 posts, read 5,707,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
MortonR said, "I was thinking that you could look at the county and surrounds much like a clock, with the most expensive properties being between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, then moving counter clockwise to the west side, then down and around the southside and ending up on the eastside."

I would completely agree with his statement on how prices swing generally. There are exceptions here and there, but this is the best GENERAL description at quick glance. Center Grove area (Bargersville) is an exception compared to most of Westside or eastside and even some northside, but again just one exception.
And yes, there are exceptions and pockets of differences in values throughout each side of the county, or just outside of it as well. And a lot depends on the type of home and neighborhood you want.

I think of old money being the north Meridian/Kessler area, maybe even extending to near Butler.

RM

Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
Perception of the areas as well as what the town, city, or other types of local governance allow to be developed in those areas.

Perception is that Zionsville and Carmel are more desirable and have more of what many people are looking for. I know with Zionsville that not as many new neighborhoods have gone in and those that do many times have a low end home cost of $400,000s and many requirements for lot size, materials used, and other amenities. Now Whitestown, that feeds into Zville schools and is essentially considered same area, will have newer and cheaper homes, but even there isn't too much development and not on too cheap side yet.

Zville is probably seen as more exclusive as the homes in the area, even older ones, are worth more. You are paying for the charm of their awesome small town feel downtown. It reminds me of Nashville, IN downtown that tourists love to visit for the antiques and other laid-back feels. However, its only a hop, skip and a jump to downtown Indy. Traffic is not nearly as bad getting to and from downtown Indy during rush hour as the NE Side near Fishers, Noblesville, etc. Carmel has all the amenities that people love and has been forward thinking in that regard and so is highly desired. While I know it's not the case, several young friends of mine live in Zville and I have family in Carmel, but I always hear of these 2 communities referred to as the "old money" whereas Fishers and Noblseville are more solidly Middle Class and New Money.

Fishers and Noblesville are starting to incorporate some of the aspects of Carmel, but are still behind. Fishers still has some growing possible, but as another poster said it is much newer construction and on the lower end money wise. Noblesville is building newer and more expensive, but is just starting to really grow their town as Fishers and other areas fill up. In all 4 communities you'll still find homes cheap, but compared to the rest of the housing stock they will either be in poor condition or small.

Thank you! Much better than a “supply and demand” response.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM

151 posts, read 146,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
And yes, there are exceptions and pockets of differences in values throughout each side of the county, or just outside of it as well. And a lot depends on the type of home and neighborhood you want.

I think of old money being the north Meridian/Kessler area, maybe even extending to near Butler.

RM
Agree that the corridor of North Meridian/Kessler is old money.

My reference to Zville and Carmel as "old money" is more that a young couple just coming out of college that can afford to live in the 4 communities focused on in this thread (Zville, Carmel, Fishers, and Noblesville) I see Fishers and Noblesville as entry level home areas. Carmel and Zville are more you are established and looking at your 2nd home because you've had time to save up or move up and afford homes in those areas.

Yes I know Carmel has much more housing stock and some areas are relatively cheap, but overall i think it still is not where most young couples first settle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>