U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 01:37 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,126,466 times

Advertisements

Which suburbs are best for younger people?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 04:45 PM

24,245 posts, read 41,768,944 times
Carmel would have the most amenities and things to do.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,574,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Which suburbs are best for younger people?
Could you be more vague?

Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM

909 posts, read 1,576,351 times
Yeah, probably Carmel

Old 07-12-2019, 09:17 PM

152 posts, read 148,463 times
Define young people too...are you talking about yourselves as young people or kids you may have as young people?

If looking at it from 20 somethings perspective then yes Carmel will probably have the best things for you to do snd feel most like Downtown Indy or Broad Ripple area with bars, parks and other community events.

After Carmel most other suburbs will be very similar in regards to what they offer. Same for kids. I'm biased from living here, but love Brownsburg for young families. We probably don't have the shopping portion of lots of other suburbs, but Avon and Whitestown are very close and not having as much commercial make Bburg seem less busy, more laid back and less traffic. Schools and library are great. Lots of community events that are whole family but even young professionals would love. Look into The Arbuckle and Union Green developments. Mixed use that has nice apartments snd nearby retail snd food.

There are other suburbs I'd rank highly, but again it depends on what you like abd what you mean by younger.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 AM

2,779 posts, read 2,781,088 times
my daughter just moved into a neighborhood just outside of Carmel for her first job and it has everything, but I'm not sure it has everything a young person would like. But she's walking distance to the trader joes as well as many other grocery stores and other shopping.

Probably Monon area would check more boxes as far as young people esthetics, but it has poor parking.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 PM

8,662 posts, read 15,852,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
my daughter just moved into a neighborhood just outside of Carmel for her first job and it has everything, but I'm not sure it has everything a young person would like. But she's walking distance to the trader joes as well as many other grocery stores and other shopping.

Probably Monon area would check more boxes as far as young people esthetics, but it has poor parking.
Just outside Carmel within walking distance to Trader Joe's.....that's Indy not the suburbs. Knowing OP's history, I'm guessing that is not what he/she is looking for.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:12 AM

31,623 posts, read 25,727,994 times
I lived in Carmel for three years in 2014-2016, and worked on the north side. There isn't much of a social scene with other 20 somethings in Carmel, though there are plenty of middle aged people and older to socialize with. I had a lot of friends in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square, and that's where I spent the "social time with younger people." I might have ended up down there twice a week or so - more if I was going to a ball game.

Carmel is great for day-to-day living and hard to top.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:25 PM

152 posts, read 148,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I lived in Carmel for three years in 2014-2016, and worked on the north side. There isn't much of a social scene with other 20 somethings in Carmel, though there are plenty of middle aged people and older to socialize with. I had a lot of friends in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square, and that's where I spent the "social time with younger people." I might have ended up down there twice a week or so - more if I was going to a ball game.

I agree that most 20 somethings will spend more time in B Rip, downtown Indy or other such locals for their social life. Those aren't considered suburbs of Indy though.

Respectfully, that wasn't the question or I'd agree with you wholeheartedly that then yes those areas would be much better. I would have answered the question much differently myself if that was the case.

In that case, I think that Carmel has more options for social events whether the multitude of low, middle and high end restaurants/bars/breweries, or just events in general due to the size of Carmel population wise in comparison to most other suburbs being much smaller.

Also, compared to most other suburbs Carmel has much more mixed developments and apartment/condo options though too. So while yes many might be 30 somethings, some may have families, etc. there is a greater chance that there will be more 20 somethings in that area.

Finally the commute from carmel to B Rip is closer than some of the other suburbs. Downtown might be slightly longer commute from Carmel, but its honestly pretty negligible in time differences from say Greenwood or Avon or others.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,126,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I know just from dating apps and my ex, that there is a large number of 20 and 30 somethings in Carmel with a lot of bars to go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>