Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,661,685 times

Advertisements

We stick to Nancy's. It was one of our favorites in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 03:23 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,137,300 times
You won't find any outstanding pizza here. I haven't found good pizza in Indiana since I left Chicago...Giovanni's Pizza on 111th Street in Roseland was the absolute best.

what I found here was crumbled dog meat on a pizza called sausage.

the only pizza that is safe here is Pizza Hut.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
You won't find any outstanding pizza here. I haven't found good pizza in Indiana since I left Chicago...Giovanni's Pizza on 111th Street in Roseland was the absolute best.

what I found here was crumbled dog meat on a pizza called sausage.

the only pizza that is safe here is Pizza Hut.
I call it rabbitt droppings sausage. Nancy's uses the real stuff.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:38 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,137,300 times
LOL rabbit droppings sausage. I have to remember that next time someone tries to serve it to me.

at a Thai restaurant a waitress asked me how hot I wanted my shrimp coconut curry on rice to be...1 to 5 with 5 being the hottest. I replied "I want it hot enough to send me to hell" and she was stunned.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,345 times
Thumbs up Responding to: Move to Indiana

• [LEFT][/LEFT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biracialrelo View Post
We are a biracial married couple looking to relocate from So Cali to suburbs of Indianapolis because our dreams of owning a large home with lots of property has pulled us to the mid-west. We also have some family here as well as NY and FL, so it kinda makes us centralized to visit family. We love sports which is why we loved all the sports that Indi has. We don't mind the seasonal weather because wife is from NY and husband is from Chicago, we have both lived in the cold as well as the last 20 years in So Cali. Yes, the weather is fantastic here, but the cost of living is unbearable and we will never buy a home out here that we really want. We do not want to settle for a condo which is all we would be able to buy here.

So, my next question is: the right suburb outside of Indi suitable for us. One aunt lives in Avon and says that they are close to the airport which was a plus to them as well as great schools and more house for your money. I'm only looking online at this point as we haven't been there yet and will be able to visit in a few months. We are thinking June of 2007 move. I have looked at homes in Carmel, Avon, Plainfield and see very large affordable homes to buy in Plainfield. I see that the same home in Plainfield is around 60-80K less than in Carmel but Carmel has more businesses. We want to be close enough to drive to sports games, to go into Indi for great food/restaurants and come home to our large home.

Next question is, how is Indi area with bi-racial couples, african american and latino. Bi-racial couples are the norm here in So Cali with no problems at all. We want the same feeling because we are very friendly with everyone no matter what they are.

Would love to hear some advice and thoughts on this and appreciate it as well. Thanks
Hello; I am from west central Indiana. However, my husband & I go to Indy and surrounding areas quite often. I am going to suggest you look for housing in Brownsburg, Pittsboro, Greenwood, Danville, and perhaps other areas and small towns surrounding the Indy area. I guess it all depends on how far you want to drive to work and if you prefer small town or large city living. May I also suggest Terre Haute, which is about 30 miles from where I live...I give it a 2 thumbs up and housing is cheaper than near Indy. Avon & Plainfield are nice communities but rapidly growing and pricey. Perhaps not as pricey as CA., but pricey nonetheless. Best of luck in your future move and hope you find the home of your dreams. M. Shepherd

Old 01-10-2007, 10:49 PM

67 posts, read 338,992 times
I lived in Indianapolis for six months, I moved from San Diego, California. I was told the exact same thing..stay away from Martinville. I'm african american. Did not like Indianapolis. Convinced my husband to move back to San Diego! That was 10 years ago, and now we are moving to Seattle ( my hometown!).

Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM

667 posts, read 2,884,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikardW View Post
Quit fretting about the bi-racial thing. Good people are welcome in Indianapolis, regardless of race.

Come and enjoy. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Exactly. I work in a LARGE government building and to me it's gotten to the point that I am mildly surprised when someone is not in a bi-racial relationship.

But to areas???? Personally I like Avon and plan on moving there in a couple of years. If you are into cars besides sports Avon might be a good match.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:28 PM

667 posts, read 2,884,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDiva View Post
I lived in Indianapolis for six months, I moved from San Diego, California. I was told the exact same thing..stay away from Martinville. I'm african american. Did not like Indianapolis. Convinced my husband to move back to San Diego! That was 10 years ago, and now we are moving to Seattle ( my hometown!).
Ditto on Martinsville. However, I would like to add Mooresville and Greenfield to that list. I had a buddy that was in an biracial marriage and he was 'messed' with by some rednecks while living in Greenfield.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Why Martinsville gets a bad rap

I'm not making light of the reason either, but here it is. A very sad story:

http://www2.indystar.com/library/fac...rol/index.html

Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 PM

67 posts, read 338,992 times
I was told the exact same thing about Martinsville when I lived in Indianapolis for six months. I moved from San Diego to Indianapolis with my husband, and one of his business contacts ( who just happened to be white, and we are black), told us to be careful and to stay out of Martinsville, or make sure that we weren't in that town after dark. I was very happy when we left Indianapolis, I did not care for Indiana at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis