Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 AM

17 posts, read 44,020 times

Advertisements

I'm orginally from the Bay Area of California, and have lived in Indy for 2 years. There is not as much culture diversity in Indianapolis, and many people I have met are orginally from AL, TN, and KY. I live in the Speedway area and have seen rebel flags several times. Definately different from California.

Last edited by RoadRunner72; 02-28-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 08:06 PM

179 posts, read 355,950 times
I grew up in Ventura County & went to school in SoCal, and though I find Indy's lack of authentic ethnic food an issue, and it's certainly not as diverse as LA or OC, the cost of living makes up for much of it. I took a pay cut to move here and my wife stopped working, but in the 3 years we've been here we were able to have another kid, live in a house 3 times the size of our old townhome in Lake Forest at half the price, and save money for a rainy day. The biggest issue here though is if you get laid off, the job market can be pretty brutal. A friend of mine summed it up: "Indy's job market is challenging in the best of times".

Old 03-12-2009, 01:30 AM

46 posts, read 198,231 times
I moved here from california a few years ago. It is a culture shock at first and it takes some getting used to. I lived here as a child so it was easier for me but I still had difficulty getting used to the culture here after living in CA. People here do not like Californians very much. Once people get to know you they are nice but at first they are hesitant to talk to you and once they do start talking you find out what people here really think of California. And its not good. The people are nice. I would say I have been to states where the people are nicer. I was told several times when I first moved here that I "looked to California" to get a job. Mind you, I was a manager at a doctors office in California, I have a degree, and I was not dressed unprofessional in any way. I would say I dressed business casual but that was not okay here like it is in CA. There are several months of good whether and then a few months of really crappy whether. You might want to bring your own tortilla's if you like the ones that taste good. With all that being said, wild horses could not drag me back to CA. I love it here and would like to stay (even though I am moving out of state for my hubby's job) But I will be back eventually. There is tons of stuff to do here despite what some people have said. The area I live in is very safe. The schools are great and eventually you start to fit in a get used to the different culture. My husband on the other hand was born and raised in CA and although he loves it here he never did get used to the differences and he still wants to move back to California. So I guess it just depends on your personality and your attachment to California.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualsurfer View Post
I grew up in Ventura County & went to school in SoCal, and though I find Indy's lack of authentic ethnic food an issue, and it's certainly not as diverse as LA or OC, the cost of living makes up for much of it. I took a pay cut to move here and my wife stopped working, but in the 3 years we've been here we were able to have another kid, live in a house 3 times the size of our old townhome in Lake Forest at half the price, and save money for a rainy day. The biggest issue here though is if you get laid off, the job market can be pretty brutal. A friend of mine summed it up: "Indy's job market is challenging in the best of times".
Is the job market in Indy really that bad? I was a bit surprised to see that the unemployment rate in Indiana was at 8.2% towards the end of 2008 and the most recent figure was 9.2% Which industries are doing particularly poorly or well in the area?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,168 times
My sister and her family moved to Indianapolis from Los Angeles 6 years ago...they love it there. They have 5 children and it is so difficult to afford a large enough home here. We are currently living in Orange County & will be joining them in Indianapolis next year. There is no way my husband can earn the same money out there compared to here (he is a manager for Title Co.)...but the cost of living is so much less, especially because we have 4 children ourselves. My sister's mortgage is half of what we pay...and she has a 5 bedroom house. For me, the biggest change will be weather. There are so many years that we go to the beach on X-mas...not gonna happen in Indiana. When I visited her, I just loved it. It was slower paced, but large enough to still be comfortable to someone who has lived in LA/OC for 28 years.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:10 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,081 times
Dodgergirl-- I'm glad your sister likes it here! Things are probably very different, but definitely cheaper. I have a freied who grew up in CA, and she goes back as often as she can to get her toes in the sand, but she wouldn't move back for anything.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:10 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Is the job market in Indy really that bad? I was a bit surprised to see that the unemployment rate in Indiana was at 8.2% towards the end of 2008 and the most recent figure was 9.2% Which industries are doing particularly poorly or well in the area?
The Indy area still has an unemployment rate below the national average -- rougly in the 7% range. The areas in the state that are really struggling are those dependent on the auto and RV industries.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:34 PM

21 posts, read 99,824 times
The great thing about the job market here is that you can find a job on the other side of town and still not have the commute you would in CA.

Hoosiers seem to consider driving more than 15 minutes to be a terrible commute. I drive 40 minutes each way here and think that's almost a dream. My CA commutes were 60-90 each way, and at one point 2.5 hours each way. All that just to find a decent job that did not involve a uniform with a paper hat. And, my commute here has no stop-n-go. CA it was stop-n-go much of the way.

A lot of places have been hit hard here recently, however. Places that are usually hiring constantly are now talking lay-offs.

I got a job offer out of the blue today. For a good job, no less. I am employed and not seeking a job.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:13 PM

77 posts, read 245,073 times
I'm moving to Indy from San Diego on 4/1.

From what I understand, Indy is a friendly place and a tad more conservative (especially in the burbs) than CA is. I'm really looking forward to the lower cost of living and much cheaper housing/rental prices.

In Indy 150K will be you a nice 1800 sq/ft house in a great neighborhood . In San Diego, 150K might get you a 800 sq/ft condo in the ghetto .

I'm looking forward to posting my opinion once I have a few months of Indy living under my belt, but I have a feeling Indy is going to suit me just fine .

Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPP View Post
I'm moving to Indy from San Diego on 4/1.

From what I understand, Indy is a friendly place and a tad more conservative (especially in the burbs) than CA is. I'm really looking forward to the lower cost of living and much cheaper housing/rental prices.

In Indy 150K will be you a nice 1800 sq/ft house in a great neighborhood . In San Diego, 150K might get you a 800 sq/ft condo in the ghetto .

I'm looking forward to posting my opinion once I have a few months of Indy living under my belt, but I have a feeling Indy is going to suit me just fine .

We'll be waiting!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis