Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggz View Post
BU191433: I looked at the apartmentratings.com site. It's hard to judge for a number of factors. It seems some article are inflated (in house writing), you don't the personality of the person writting the article. Perhaps the commentor was a complete jerk and didn't jive with the office staff. It's possible. Guess I'll have to see when I get there. If I choose complexe/community living over privately own housing I've been in both. I lived in a highrise in Albany for 4 years. And when you get that many people living togehter you have clean people and you have dirty people. It's the dirty ones that make it bad. I guess that if I find a community I like that I can roam around and ask a few people before I tap on the office door.

I keep reading about all these places where people get their cars broken into. I don't care what city you go to. Leave something valuable in the car and your asking for the window(s) to get busted out and the article(s) to be taken.

I agree with you about the apt rating site. When I read complaints about the management or personality of the property manager - I just disregard. But if I read several posts from people about crime, or poor appliances or things breaking down in the apartments - if it seems like a pattern instead of a few sour grapes, then I do take notice.

Also people who spend $500 per month are less picky then those who spend $1100 a month. The complex I live in is very nice and expensive but only has a 51% rating on that site. (people who live there are very picky)

I'll leave you with this, in this area: you get what you pay for. The more expensive the apartment the better the apartment complex. You might think you are getting a great deal, more square footage for less money, maybe even a move-in special - but you end up losing in the long run - there is almost alwaysa reason why they are discounting the rent.

If you are interested in living in a highrise downtown, I have been to and hear many good things about Riley Towers - not cheap for the square footage though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM

109 posts, read 407,885 times
Quote:
Also people who spend $500 per month are less picky then those who spend $1100 a month. The complex I live in is very nice and expensive but only has a 51% rating on that site. (people who live there are very picky
I agree! Although in my situation I'm somewhat limited to the amount I can spend on an apartment. My wife is disabled. She can do housework and stuff .. but as far as getting out and going to work doctor says no. And according to the fine *cough cough* people at social security she cannont get any bene's due to the amount I make. Which isn't a whole lot. If I were a single man .. I'd be ok paying $1100/mo becuase I can live on basically nothing. She has to consume about 5000 calories of food a day to maintain the 100 lbs she barely keeps.

My budget only lets me in on $600-700 with nothing and 700-775 with some or all the utilities included. I have to pay for everything. Clothes, food, entertainment (granted I haven't stepped foot inside movie theater in 8 or so years), utilities, car cost and so one. So my budget is a bit tight. Really tight.

I'm sure I'll find something. Albiet somebody tries to come and take something out of my house .. they'll positively be leaving with something protruding from their chest. I work to hard to have somebody take stuff I've worked for.

Guess I'm going to have to wait and see .. it's the waiting that getting at me!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:33 AM

MrBiggz, I feel for your situation with your wife.

You can find apartments for $600-$700 (a number of places will pay for heat also) Just be sure to visit the place first - I've heard horror stories of people from out of town who signed a lease sight unseen. There are some apartments that are hidden gems in some of the older parts of town. You might not get new appliances or cool windows, or great locations, but hopefully your neighbors will be decent. I think maybe the most important thing in an apartment is who your neighbors will be - that can make all the difference in the world.

I'd be happy to give you any imput I can when you start looking at actual apartments

Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 PM

BU,

Thanks for the understanding! Yeah .. tentative plans where the prospective place would put me up for two week in an extended stay and then the search begins! Have to bring my PC with me though .. what did we do before PC's?

Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM

This might not sound politically correct, but one thing I learn a lot from is the cars you see parked in an apartment complex. Not that I am looking for Lexus or Mercedes Benz, but you can learn a lot about the type of people who live in a place by looking at the cars.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 AM

I concur on that. And to top it off. Sometime it may not be the type of car but the condition of it. You could own a old lexus from the mid 90's and keep it in primo condition. Which to me translates out to me - what little you have you cherrish and keep in good condition.

Off topic though .. way it's going we're all going to be Freddy Flintsone-ing it to work. OUCH! Matter of fact I need to investigate the public transportation in Indy. Here in Albany I take the bus to and from work. I save quite a bit of gas since the car just gets warm if I were to drive it to work. Not to mention the money spent for parking.

I'm sure that Indy will have enough to keep me investigating places for a while. But what around? I see Chicago is about 3 hours away, Cincinatti (spelling) about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away and Louisville about the same. Those are my guesses from looking at the map.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I concur on that. And to top it off. Sometime it may not be the type of car but the condition of it. You could own a old lexus from the mid 90's and keep it in primo condition. Which to me translates out to me - what little you have you cherrish and keep in good condition.

Off topic though .. way it's going we're all going to be Freddy Flintsone-ing it to work. OUCH! Matter of fact I need to investigate the public transportation in Indy. Here in Albany I take the bus to and from work. I save quite a bit of gas since the car just gets warm if I were to drive it to work. Not to mention the money spent for parking.

I'm sure that Indy will have enough to keep me investigating places for a while. But what around? I see Chicago is about 3 hours away, Cincinatti (spelling) about 1 1/2 to 2 hours away and Louisville about the same. Those are my guesses from looking at the map.

Public transportation is not good in this city. There is some limited public trans into and out of downtown. But if you live in a suburb and work in a suburb you have to drive - maybe carpool.

Yeah Chicago is 3 hours away, Cincy is 2 hours as is Louisville. Chicago is a great place to visit and I enjoy Cincy also - not sure about Louisville

Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Public transportation is not good in this city. There is some limited public trans into and out of downtown. But if you live in a suburb and work in a suburb you have to drive - maybe carpool.
Roger that. Hopefully with the way gas is going that somebody would be smart enough to expand service. I checked out the map of the routes on the indygo site. It looks as if it covers the inner-city pretty well. And like you said doesn't do enough for the surrounding suburbs. I'm really surpised that a city of this size doesn't have 'park & rides.' If you don't know what they are, you park your car in a central location and then take the bus in to the city.

Here in Albany they were going to raise the bus fare but ridership shot up so they not only kept the fair the same but increased service on some routes and expanded others. Growing trend I suppose.

Oh .. surprised I didn't ask this question before. In general how are the drivers in the area? Are the interstates and sub-interstate highways a free for all? If so I'm used to it. We have a few here and at times its like qualifing for pole position! I've driven in NYC, Jersey City, Scranton PA and a few other places that had the worst drivers on the face of the globe I should be able to handle Indy. Just wanted some insight! Thx again!

Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
. I'm really surpised that a city of this size doesn't have 'park & rides.' If you don't know what they are, you park your car in a central location and then take the bus in to the city.

Here in Albany they were going to raise the bus fare but ridership shot up so they not only kept the fair the same but increased service on some routes and expanded others. Growing trend I suppose.

Oh .. surprised I didn't ask this question before. In general how are the drivers in the area? Are the interstates and sub-interstate highways a free for all? If so I'm used to it. We have a few here and at times its like qualifing for pole position! I've driven in NYC, Jersey City, Scranton PA and a few other places that had the worst drivers on the face of the globe I should be able to handle Indy. Just wanted some insight! Thx again!

They have a park and ride from Carmel and I think from Fishers into downtown. - Seems to be pretty popular.

Drivers in Indiana will seem slow to you compared with Eastern PA, NJ, and NY. (sure people here complain about the dirvers all the time, but it isn't really bad) I tend to be a fast, but extremely safe driver. So I get impatient with slow drivers in the left lanes, or people who don't pay attention to what they are doing

Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
They have a park and ride from Carmel and I think from Fishers into downtown. - Seems to be pretty popular.

Drivers in Indiana will seem slow to you compared with Eastern PA, NJ, and NY. (sure people here complain about the dirvers all the time, but it isn't really bad) I tend to be a fast, but extremely safe driver. So I get impatient with slow drivers in the left lanes, or people who don't pay attention to what they are doing
Very good sir! Yeah, we have those 'type' of people too here. Although it's more like a NASCAR race with the light goes green.

Well, if all goes well they'll be flying me in for an interview. Hopefully I'll get the $1.00 tour! I can't tell you how much I look forward to be getting out of New York State!! I look forward to getting a more tangiable take on Indy!

Only thing I dread about moving there is the drive from Albany. 13 hours behind the wheel .. eeeesh! There better be a cold beer at the end of the rainbow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis